New system advice

kittcg

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Planning to buy a new system. I've got approx. $1000 to work with. Here's what I'm looking at picking up from a local store. Can you guys recommend any changes/improvements?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8T Neo-FSR
Elixir or Kreton DDR 512MB PC3200
120GB WD JB 7200 RPM
MSI CD-CDRW 52x24x52 & 16x DVD
Raidmax Cobra case, 420W w/ 3 fans
MSI ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB DDR
Viewsonic G90F 19" PefectFlat Tube
(Onboard sound)
(Onboard ethernet)

Am I forgetting anything?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kittcg on 08/26/04 04:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
$oftware...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not done!!!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
If you can, get the K8N Neo Platinum. It's got a much better chipset, and is only about $15 more. For another, try to get branded ram, I've never heard of those brands. And last, maybe you have good reasons, but if you're building your own system, you'd probably be better off using online companies like newegg. They generally have better prices and selection.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

endyen

Splendid
Many here prefer the Nforce3 250 chipset. I like the Asus K8N-E Deluxe, others prefer the MSI K8N NEO. There are a few problems with the msi k8n, but some can be fixed with a bios update. The front usb problem only requires that pin 10 not be connected.
For graphics, go to the source, and use thier trade-up program @ <A HREF="http://shop.ati.com/tradeup.asp" target="_new">http://shop.ati.com/tradeup.asp</A>.
Looks like a great system either way.

kittcg

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Okay, corsair it is and I'll buy online so I'm not as limited in what is available. I'll go with the K8N Neo Platinum, which most people seem to like. What do you recommend for a case(~$60)? Not sure what you mean by software...I'll use Win XP home for the OS, will use for light programming, and for gaming(Guildwars, WoW, and next gen FPS). Added a LiteOn Combo drive.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Corsair Value Select 184 pin DDR 1GB(2x512) PC3200
120GB WD 7200 RPM
MSI CD-CDRW 52x24x52 & 16x DVD
Lite-On Combo Drive
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB DDR
(Onboard sound)
(Onboard ethernet)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kittcg on 08/26/04 08:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kittcg

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Is the XDreamer case any good? I seem to remember reading a THG review about it a few months back, but can't find it. Maybe it was somewhere else. What other mid-range cases are good out there?

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I have a friend who uses it, doesn't seem too bad. Just keep in mind, it only comes with 2 fans, one on the side and one exhausting out the top. If you want better cooling you can move them to front intake and rear exhaust or (my recommendation) just buy enough fans to fill all the fan slots. Other than that, case is pretty nice looking.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl