[SOLVED] New System Build Behaving Strangely, HELP!

serik21

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I just built a new gaming rig and from the word go it has been behaving strangely. Sometimes right at boot i see some artifacting, maybe not artifacing but fuzzy looking different colored pixels even on the bios splash screen.

Also, i have an m.2 boot drive that is always recognized in BIOS but every other time i reboot my system i get the please insert a boot drive and press any key error. Either a ctrl alt del takes care of it or sometimes going in to BIOS and doing a save and quit will boot through.

Games seem to run fine, however Metro Exodus crashes at least once every time i try to run it. Also, when i came home from work today and woke up my PC the fuzzy colored pixels were all over the monitor until i rebooted. The memory is rated at DDR4-3000 but the Mobo locks it at 2100 (there doesnt seem to be a manual voltage option in BIOS ). But nothing is overclocked at this point, BIOS is running at optimal default settings.

Im wondering what to do or where to start troubleshooting this thing. My only thought is a bad mobo. I ordered all this hardware from a local shop for in-store pickup and the mobo box was not taped or shrink wrapped shut in any form, nor was the static bag around it.

The components are as follows
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Prism
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe
Intel 660p 1TB 3D NAND QLC M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal SSD
G.Skill Aegis 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL16 Dual Channel Des
Corsair CX600 PSU

Any other details or info i can provide i would be happy to do so!

Thanks a ton in advance!!!!

serik21

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Ok first do this:

Boot to bios and set up you RAM settings from auto detect to the 3000Mhz setting and reboot and try there. If it repeats, repeat that process and walk the speed settings for your RAM down. The next setting is 2933Mhz. Or just use the next manual increment down for 3000Mhz. Also check the ASUS website and look at your bios version and compare that to the website most recent patch. I have the same board and when i went to 32gig RAM it did the same thing. This board is a basic equivalent to the ASUS AURA 970. Its a starter version for gamers but it is damn good when you learn how it behaves. Recheck all updates for hardware and consider the ASUS Al 3 suite. https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/asus-al-suite-3.341081/

ASUS website looks like its down or that is an old link. Find it and get / read about it. Set the vid card to default settings after you adjust the RAM and play the game. Spysweep and clean daily.

Richard
Thanks for the advice on the RAM!! Anyone have any ideas on the boot drive randomly disappearing? Or the speckles?

serik21

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
That could be giving you issues. Can't hurt to look for a replacement.

Did you so a fresh install of Windows after the build?

I did indeed do a fresh install. All components of the system are brand new aside from the PSU.

For a reference point that PSU had no issues running an i5-6600K and a GTX970 for the last few years. I do understand that my new vid card / proc combo likely draw more power than before however.