[SOLVED] New system hangs on splash screen after booting fine last night

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Just assembled a new system yesterday and got everything working (eventually) except for a second M.2 that the BIOS never recognized. Managed to load Windows, and reboot/launch Windows several times successfully, though I didn't connect to the LAN, so didn't update drivers, etc.

This morning, it boots up, but hangs on the mobo splash screen, occasionally dumping me back to BIOS after several minutes. Have no problems getting into BIOS, and everything looks correct there, though I reset the CMOS, just in case. I've made no changes to the build except for removing the (presumably faulty) second M.2 drive. No error lights/error codes on the mobo, though it is reporting CPU temps in the 55-60C range, so clearly the CPU is being accessed (it's typically reporting around 35C when in BIOS). Literally the only thing I did was move the computer into a different room for ethernet access and remove the non-functioning M.2 (a Sabrent Rocket Gen4 NVME 1TB).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
MoBo: MSI MEG X570 Unify with latest BIOS (7C35vAA, 6/22/21)
Memory: 2x 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4-3600 (not currently running XMP, so it's at default 2133)
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT
SSD: Samsung Pro 980 Gen4 NVME M.2 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

I've since tried removing and reseating the RAM (including individual sticks in each of the various slots), enabling/disabling XMP, and reinstalling then re-removing the non-functioning M.2, just in case there's some weird synergy. I've also inserted the Windows USB in case my primary SSD is bad, but it doesn't even boot to that.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the system to hang like that? I'm past the RMA period for all the parts, so really hoping I don't have a faulty component.

Thanks in advance.