New system sound problems

foolish_sagacity

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I just finished building my first computer, and everything's running great except for the sound quality. I'm using the integrated Realtek ALC889A codec card that comes built in on my Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P motherboard. When building the computer I hooked up HDA sound as opposed to AC97 sound.

Now, however, my sound quality is just horrible. I installed the on-disc gigabyte audio drivers, but the problem persists. Sound will seem muddy and will have what I can only describe as white noise "chirps" where fluid music is interrupted by a pop of white sound. I'm currently downloading another driver from realtek, as after downloading a driver update from Gigabyte did nothing.

Not sure if it makes a difference but running Windows Vista 64 Bit.

foolish_sagacity

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've now tried to switch the hookup on my board from HDA to AC97 sound input. No change. Does anyone know what can cause this? Drivers seem up to date, headphones, speakers and even my monitors built in speakers which are controlled by my Radeon HD 4870 has the exact same sound problem. Every sound on this system is garbled, muddy and cracks.

neological

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Hi there, I recently built a computer using the same mobo and I am having the exact same sound issues. The weird thing is, to try to get around it, I installed a PCI Audigy 2 sound card I had lying around and the same popping sound keeps coming up every few seconds. I don't know what is going on.

bres6486

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I have the same problem, when i play a sinusoid at 1000 hz, i still hear this short clump of noise over it. I tried different realtek drivers, at this point i have no idea if it is a driver issue, or something on the motherboard. i am running 64 bit vista. i also have a GA-MA790X-UD4p.

Anyone got ideas?