New Titan xp vs 1080 to sli

NefariousFraggle

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I'm about to spend big bucks on a GPU or 2. The recent release of the Titan XP has me stumped. Would you guys recommend 2 1080 ti's in SLI or 1 Titan XP? I was planning on 2 EVGA GTX 1080 ti FTW3's but now I'm torn...

Solution

I really don't understand what's making it such a tough decision. You realise that unless there's some big surprise going on here - which is extremely unlikely - the 1080ti and new Titan are based on identical GP102 GPUs. The only difference is that the 1080ti has 2 SMs disabled (of 30), a few less ROPs and a partially disabled memory controller. Again - identical GPU, just slightly cut down on the 1080ti.
At worst - at absolute worst - then clock for clock the 1080ti is going to be maybe up to 10% behind the Titan Xp.
But...
Do you mean the just-announced Titan Xp (little "p" - which is the second Titan Pascal card)?
Because that only has a few extra CUDA cores and a slightly bump over the first Titan Pascal (damn you Nvidia for your stupid naming conventions).

I expect the "new" Titan, like all its predecessors, will only be available in with the stock Nvidia cooler. All you need is a 10-15% OC on a 1080TI and you'll match the performance of the new Titan Xp. Get a nice factory overclocked 1080ti, OC it a bit, and you'll probably get better performance than you can get out of the $1200 Xp unless you're prepared to run fans in stupidly noisy settings. That's just one 1080ti too, for just over half the price.
This is a no-brainer. 1080ti is the clear winner.

WildCard999

Titan

The 1080 Ti is going to be a better choice price/performance however I would look into GTX 1080 Ti SLI reviews as some games even at higher resolutions show no performance improvement. TBH I'd just go with a single GTX 1080 Ti with aftermarket cooling and overclock it as far as it will safely go.

GTX 1080 Ti SLI benchmarks.
http://www.babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/

NefariousFraggle

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
If SLI isn't future proof then wouldn't I be better off with Titan XP? I don't care about price with this. I saved up for a big purchase. Just want maximum performance.

See my post. It's not really better performance once you factor in the additional OCing potential on an aftermarket 1080ti.

NefariousFraggle

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
A few sites have done benchmarks on them. Just wondering how it compared to 1080 ti in SLI. If fewer games will be using SLI in the future then I'd go with the Titan. If not, 1080 ti. Tough decision...

I really don't understand what's making it such a tough decision. You realise that unless there's some big surprise going on here - which is extremely unlikely - the 1080ti and new Titan are based on identical GP102 GPUs. The only difference is that the 1080ti has 2 SMs disabled (of 30), a few less ROPs and a partially disabled memory controller. Again - identical GPU, just slightly cut down on the 1080ti.
At worst - at absolute worst - then clock for clock the 1080ti is going to be maybe up to 10% behind the Titan Xp.
But, Titan Xp will be in Nvidia's blower design only, which is hotter, louder and can't boost as high consistently. A quality aftermarket 1080ti with proper cooling (like you're looking at) will consistently hit higher boost clocks than a Titan Xp on a blower cooler. So that at worst 10% clock for clock deficit will be closed, maybe even surpassed at times, by the difference in clock speeds. Even if it doesn't fully close the gap, surely no one wants to pay $500 more for a hotter, louder card, just because they get maybe 5%, probably 2-3% extra FPS... that's crazy.

All the above, by the way, considers a single 1080ti vs a single Titan Xp. SLI 1080ti gets with a few % of the Titan Xp with absolutely no SLI scaling whatsoever. I agree with @Wildcard who suggests starting out with a single 1080ti and seeing whether you actually need the second.

Back when it was the 1080 (non ti) vs the 1st gen Pascal Titan X you could at least make a case for spending the extra on the Titan. At that time you were paying almost double for the 30-35% performance bump from the Titan. It wasn't good value, but at least there was a tangible performance edge to the Titan X.
Right now, there's just no reason to go the brand new Titan whatsoever.

Solution

LittleRain

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
If you are just going to do regular gaming I would go with 1080 ti.
I believe the Titan XP would be a lot better for simulation type things, like fluids/liquids and stuff like that. You can download the Nvidia Flex Demo if you want to try, its actually really cool stuff. This is really where people should be doing bench marks for this thing. Now things like that are rarely used in games, most only use the Fabric like in Mirrors Edge.
The thing is its just a lot of work, for a feature that will only be a visual gimmick, so most games won't even include it, especially when you need an Nvidia card to run them. And another big thing is that it is extremely performance heavy, for fluid you would only be able to use it for maybe spilling a drink in a cut scene, or a kiddy bool in the back yard.
Untill GPU's get extremely powerful, you won't really be seeing stuff in games that the XP is really good for.

Flex Demo 0.25
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-physx-flex-v0-25-sample-demo-available-for-download/

Flex Demo 0.8 - Needs CUDA 3.0 GPU - can be used with VR headset
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/32pp4w/physx_flex_v080_demo_showcasing_the_possible/

Here is a demo made for the Titan, they have a bunch of demos on Nvidia's website.
http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/lifelike-human-face-rendering

Superstringy

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
NefariousFraggle, I'm in a similar boat.

Recently sold my twin GTX 1080s (Asus Strix OC), to get a performance boost from the newer Ti cards - mainly because SLI support isn't quite there just now so driving my 4K monitor at a solid 60Hz without stutter-inducing drops usually meant dialling back a setting or two, as one card was quite often not doing much. I'm also using a second screen which is 1440p @ up to 165Hz with G-Sync, which is obviously a lot less demanding and more forgiving.

I got 2 x reference 1080Tis from EVGA , and the performance is about ~20% greater in real-world gaming over the 1080 (either 1 or both, respectively), certainly enough to make a difference to minimum, frame rates. Again, SLI isn't really great just now so although I have both, one is pretty dormant on a few titles - especially in VR where SLI is generally not supported

I've actually gone back and forth a few times but elected to return the 2 x Ti and have ordered a Titan Xp, which will have less brute force overall but as a single card, should bump things up a bit. It's a steep price for one card, but like you I have saved and just want maximum performance.

My games of choice right now are Elite: Dangerous in VR on the Oculus Rift and Titanfall 2, neither of which makes use of the second card.

I suspect that a single Titan Xp will come out on top in these situations, but having a second 1080Ti would be a boon if SLI support got a shot in the arm - especially is this VR SLI thing of Nvidia's actually took off.

I'll bench the s**t out of the Titan Xp vs the SLI'd 1080Ti later today, so if you're interested I'll report back with my findings.

PCMAN

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Game debate cards Vs sli 1080 GTX

Nvidia XP 3% SLOWER but Same test setups
show more 7%-12%

Ti is slower by 13% but more like 20%

Nvidia X slower by 15% more like 23%
Get 2 1080gtx ($499 $539 )

2 x 1080gtx or 2 ti

1 card 1200 waste unless you make games

Ti 699x2 better deal
599-539 2 1080sc is a steal now Vs 700 each LOL
I got my 2 last may no ocing till nov slowly uped to 2101/5508 in 9 days

PCMAN

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
2 sli 1080 GTX 2101/5508

Each video card comes with 320 gigabyte bandwidth Per card with an overclock of
500 + on ram you are now at 352GB per card x 2 = 704GB gigabyte bandwidth total for SLI

Also speed of vram gos up from 1251Mhz now is at 1378Mhz ram speed

Overall the 1080gtx in sli are faster by 10 to 7 % than faster XP

PCMAN

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
plenty of SLi support I have 33 games 21 of 33 are SLI and of all SLI only mafia 2 was really only game I had trouble with.SLI gets bad rap because
more power is needed and
2nd card
Best way to run SLI is PCI 40 lanes CPU
SSD Raid O 16GB HD cache
MB
So a lot don't like but its been best way to game since 400 600 1000

pgkeller77

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

cuttingedgegamer.com is a site that I lease my Xp from with option to buy on last payment. I've used them a couple times and they are great.

TRENDING THREADS