new to overclocking, got a few questions about it.

remind

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
well, i just got my new rig and its pretty decent.

here are the specs;

antec sonata 2
e6400
asus p5b deluxe wifi
2g ocz pc2-6400 ram
seagate 320g 7200.10
gigabyte geforce 7950gt
samsung 940b monitor

i did my research and i got these parts because of my budget, and the graphics card was a VERY nice deal.

im on stock cooling, and im curious how much more i can get out of my current rig, i had a look around at the stickies and various threads and some benchmarking done by this site/other sites and alot of them used a P5B deluxe, yet the sticky says its not recommended for overclocking... could i still get a little bit extra out of my current rig? im pretty much totally new to overclocking.

i dont really want to push anything to the limit, im just curious and want a bit more from the cpu.

should i follow the instructions of the sticky? will it still be ok for my mobo?

also, i was talking to the guy who was the computer guru at the place i got my parts, and he said that messing with the voltages wasnt such a great idea because the e6400s are pretty fragile, i dunno wtf he was on about because i have heard of people getting to around 3gz~ on air, stable.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
i would think you could get 3ghz with stock HSF if your lucky.

the MB isnt that bad for overclocking

look for guides on the net or read the sticky(i personally find some guides better than the sticky)

increasing the voltage by a lot isnt good but the e6400 isnt fragile or anything, the guy is either a moron or thinks you are a moron and will damage the parts.

remind

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate the help. ill post back in a while with my findings/how well it went.