New Tom’s Forum Announcement & Feedback

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monsta

Splendid
I was a graphics master with over 100 best answers, this new update has removed most of my trophies or completely lowered them to first tier, is this going to be fixed?
Liking the new format. Are there any plans to have a feed on the main page like the old forums. Used to go there daily to read questions and build my PC knowledge base. Hope so.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I was a graphics master with over 100 best answers, this new update has removed most of my trophies or completely lowered them to first tier, is this going to be fixed?

The migration is still a work in progress, and I would expect this to level out in due course. We're all in a similar situation.
For example, using Graphics Cards Not one single member qualifies for "Master" (100BA) yet.

Those aspects will take time to map/apply. Please be patient.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Another bit related to font size, but not regarding tagging fonts for size. Going into the Settings and setting my font size to Large or Extra Large made no difference in the font display size.

reputation system has changed, there will be a post about the changes shortly. Everyone's best answer count is likely to have changed. I had 6400 on old site and have 6243 here, maybe we just lose a few...

It is also possible that due to the current import of data, that your score may equal out. Its hard to say,

That is also something that will be explained in a post shortly. Titles are based on total amount of Trophy points you have, it will all be explained once we have finished the transfer

Username requests will need to go through admin still (but its much better than before, they don't have to beg the devs to do it, they have the power)

Yes... Text in Chrome is really faint, I have been using bold in conversations just so we can both see it.

Thanks for update Colif. Also, it appears the some of the badges have been reset. Example, I was formerly a CPU Master, along with a few others, and now it appears that has been reset. I'm a CPU Expert now. Anyway to retrieve that to regain correct badge levels?

Thanks for update Colif. Also, it appears the some of the badges have been reset. Example, I was formerly a CPU Master, along with a few others, and now it appears that has been reset. I'm a CPU Expert now. Anyway to retrieve that to regain correct badge levels?
That should resolve itself with time as things properly index.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus

Also, it appears the some of the badges have been reset. Example, I was formerly a CPU Master, along with a few others, and now it appears that has been reset. I'm a CPU Expert now. Anyway to retrieve that to regain correct badge levels?

The way that badges were previously granted was based on tag, rather than on individual responses. The new system calculates trophies based purely on the Best Answer count itself, so you may very well end up with a lower level trophy than you previously had, as some BA's were being double-counted for multiple categories. Your Best Answer count itself should be accurate.

D

Deleted member 2720464

this is R_1 I cannot log in due to google errors, so I had to create this account. did I lose all my badges and progress because google is not authenticating? if so sayonara, I worked to hard on that to have a glitch remove it!

oh the new forums suck in my view.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Looks great when UX2 is in Dark Theme I use.
VhYIVd4.png

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
this is R_1 I cannot log in due to google errors, so I had to create this account. did I lose all my badges and progress because google is not authenticating? if so sayonara, I worked to hard on that to have a glitch remove it!

oh the new forums suck in my view.

Your account still exists and has transitioned over. There were some login issues earlier, so maybe just try again later it should work fine.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Forum filters need quite a bit of fixing. Also, topics with 0 replies (unanswered) need to have highlighted like it was in old forums. At current forums, it's really hard to spot unanswered topics. And when using the filter as "Replies" with "Ascending", so that unanswered topics would be at the top, the topics order is complete mess with topics from any year all messed up. E.g from 2019, 2018, 2016, 2014, 2013 all present on 1st page.

Image:
QcxPs13.png

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
  1. so where is the "dark theme" button ?
  2. have to get 5 best reply before ads go away .. ? guess I will wait until all users data is migrated cause I have 2,159 best answers and I still see ads (and that bottom one is most annoying) for some reason.
  3. some details allow ANYONE to see profile and information, unless not changed by user to members only. just a head up.
love the new signature line

You can use Dark Reader till they implement their Dark Mode:

randomizer

Champion
Appears as if it was designed for mobile devices and not a PC.

It was probably designed for both unlike the previous forum, which was nearly unusable on a mobile device. You couldn't even navigate between pages of a thread. Funnily enough, many of the criticisms made in this thread (not just by you) were also made about the previous design. I guess designs get better with age. :)

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
It was probably designed for both unlike the previous forum, which was nearly unusable on a mobile device. You couldn't even navigate between pages of a thread. Funnily enough, many of the criticisms made in this thread (not just by you) were also made about the previous design. I guess designs get better with age. :)
To add on to this, support for Tapatalk is coming!

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus

What's the error message you are receiving? Your account has been preserved, bear with us for a bit - we're still early into things.

At current forums, it's really hard to spot unanswered topics.

On the left-hand side, under "Find Threads" in the nav, you can see Unanswered Topics. Though, these aren't listed by category at current.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the trophies were just a bonus for helping folks out. i don't base my self worth on them nor really care if they are reset.

the cream rises to the top and with or without trophies. i sleep good at night knowing how many i help and not what bling i have under my name.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It just takes more effort as before you could put 10 tags on 1 post and conceivably earn 10 trophies for 1 Best answer. Now the forum post is in is what determines what Trophy the BA goes to. This system is more fair as you shouldn't get multiple rewards for 1 post.

I lost heaps of badge point but it just gives me something to earn again.

Its not main reason I am here.

Not 100% sure on modifying # per page, we'll have to see. As for 'unanswered', do you mean threads with no responses? Or threads that do not yet have a solution?
If the former, on the left you should see "unanswered threads". That's actually easier to distinguish as a whole
I mean no replies yet, unanswered, not unsolved.

I see what you're referring to now, it isn't even visible though when you have the page zoomed to where the thread starts at the left edge of the screen. It's either that or a way too narrow thread width.

I'm not sure why they sought to do this via a filter now instead of just a highly visible color coded tag like the [Solved!] tags. In a way it's better if you want to quickly peruse through all the unanswered threads, but if many prefer scrolling zoomed like me, they may never get answered.

IMO a big part of the problem with thread fit regarding screen width is even when you have the page zoomed to where the thread edge is on the left of the screen, the thread width is still less than 2/3 of the screen width. There's way too much space for stuff on the right of the threads. The odd thing is, there's not much even there, it's mostly blank space.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
one MASSIVE thumbs up for being able to change my email address finally. the one saved for me was like 4 addresses ago. nice to finally have the right address in the system to get email alerts.

think this was already brought up but the font size seems to be a bit out of whack. when i first made that word big it showed it right but the preview and submitted version just shows the BBCode like you see here.

Quick note to all, there is currently an issue with the Login. If you encounter a problem with logging in using the drop-down option, please go directly to the login page found here:
Could you add a redirector at forum.tomshardware.com to forums.tomshardware.com? It takes all of 30 seconds to set up (a one-line index.html file). And it saves people like me from having to type in the URL again if we can't remember if it was forum or forums at .tomshardware.com. It's not a big deal for a single website, but multiply it by the dozens of websites I regularly visit and it's impossible for me to remember which ones use the singular and which ones use the plural.

one MASSIVE thumbs up for being able to change my email address finally. the one saved for me was like 4 addresses ago. nice to finally have the right address in the system to get email alerts.
Oooh, I'm gonna have to change that finally. I used a throwaway email address when I first signed up for an account here. The address gets a lot of spam now and I've been itching to get rid of it, but couldn't since it was tied to my account here.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
am also missing something from the old forum i'd like to bring up. sorry for blowing up this thread but that's why it's here isn't it?? :)

in the old forum if i read a thread and did not comment, it still flagged it for me so i knew i had read it already. think it was a red flag next to it. this was a nice feature that i don't see now. or if it is there i have not figured out to see it. this would be awesome if it could be brought back in some way. those of us who spend hours on the forum can read a lot of threads and it's easy to click on a bunch i read an hour ago.

Reactions: Nigel Spike

Wolfshadw

Titan
am also missing something from the old forum i'd like to bring up. sorry for blowing up this thread but that's why it's here isn't it?? :)

in the old forum if i read a thread and did not comment, it still flagged it for me so i knew i had read it already. think it was a red flag next to it. this was a nice feature that i don't see now. or if it is there i have not figured out to see it. this would be awesome if it could be brought back in some way. those of us who spend hours on the forum can read a lot of threads and it's easy to click on a bunch i read an hour ago.

^----- This!!!!

-Wolf sends

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Anyone else having an issue (using chrome on mobile) if I reload the new posts or posts I've commented in it won't actually refresh I have to go back into menus and click it again. Not sure if bug or working as intended just thought I'd ask

Status
Not open for further replies.