[SOLVED] New TV / Media system - how long till it becomes obsolete (rather than stops working)

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've got a 2012 Samsung 40" UE40ES6900U HD TV. It's been a fine TV, however this TV obviously came out at the start of smart TV availability, app support for it has vanished, culminating in having serious Plex issues (mentioned here if anyone knows about Plex and networking - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ia-setup-is-all-suddenly-going-wrong.3681023/)

Whilst I don't necessarily want to get a new TV, a new TV, more mature smart TV ecosystem and up-to-date tech, apps and support would solve the problems I'm having. However I still look at a TV as being a home electrical item that should keep working till it blows up, rather than becomes obsolete because apps are no longer supported / supportable. I've got 8 years out of this TV but can no longer use as I want to.

As a TV is now a technology item rather than an electrical item, I'm curious how long you'd expect a modern TV OS to remain fully supported and functional, apps supported, etc? Are they going to become obsolete more quickly as the manufacturers force obsolescence to get you to spend money? Is 8 years reasonable? What is your trigger for upgrading?

Solution
(To be fair here, I suspect I can probably plug a Fire Stick in the back and I'll be able to resolve most of my problems, but I don't have enough power sockets to plug the fire stick into! and maybe I am half interested in a new TV....)
A FireStick only needs a single HDMI port.

My current 60" Sony has Amazon built into the OS. Has never ever worked right. Netflix works, but not Amazon.
But I don't care, because that can be fed from the small HTPC that feeds it.

About a year ago, I was on the hunt for a new TV for upstairs. I wanted NO "smart" functions at all..just a basic panel.
I found exactly one in the relevant size.

In a couple of years, when I expand to a 75-80" something...the fewer "apps" it has, the better.
I have...

USAFRet

Titan
The "TV" should be just a dumb display panel. Fed by any number of cheap and easily replaceable/updateable sources.
Cable box, Roku, FireStick, PC, etc, etc.

As you note, once the TV manufacturer stops working on the OS and providing updates, problems arise. But the actual display is working just fine.

Reactions: James Blonde

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
(To be fair here, I suspect I can probably plug a Fire Stick in the back and I'll be able to resolve most of my problems, but I don't have enough power sockets to plug the fire stick into! and maybe I am half interested in a new TV....)

USAFRet

Titan
A FireStick only needs a single HDMI port.

My current 60" Sony has Amazon built into the OS. Has never ever worked right. Netflix works, but not Amazon.
But I don't care, because that can be fed from the small HTPC that feeds it.

About a year ago, I was on the hunt for a new TV for upstairs. I wanted NO "smart" functions at all..just a basic panel.
I found exactly one in the relevant size.

In a couple of years, when I expand to a 75-80" something...the fewer "apps" it has, the better.
I have a tiny HTPC to feed it, along with a large and growing movie library.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah I don’t care for smart TVs I don’t use any of their functionality except for the display panel