New video card with an old video card?

kevin1981

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Good evening!

I'm tinkering with the idea and budget for a major desktop upgrade (cpu-mobo-ram-gpu).
I'm currently running my own custom built socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 4800 system with dual BFG 9800 GT's (yes it's old but far from obsolete)
The new setup I'm considering is to have a single video card (leaning towards 660 ti, but i've seen the MSI 670 hit just under 360$).

My question is whether to keep one of my old 9800gt's as a "dedicated phys X card" or not.
Of course, PhysX isn't very widely supported to my knowledge, and it would be nice to axe an extra card to save on power consumption and noise, but would there be any tangible slowdowns or, alternately, benefits to an IVY bridge system?
I would hate to just throw the cards out out, since there doesn't seem to be any commendable ways to recycle old parts in my area.

Thank you ahead for any input,
-Kevin

Solution
I would not use the 9800gt as a physx card...sometimes this will actually slow your fps down in games that use physx bc the 670 (or whatever card you will have) will be waiting for the 9800gt to calculate the physics...besides that it will just heat up the rest of your system more and consume more power. Not worth it in my opinion. Especially since only a very few games use physx.

drums101

Distinguished
I would not use the 9800gt as a physx card...sometimes this will actually slow your fps down in games that use physx bc the 670 (or whatever card you will have) will be waiting for the 9800gt to calculate the physics...besides that it will just heat up the rest of your system more and consume more power. Not worth it in my opinion. Especially since only a very few games use physx.

Solution

drums101

Distinguished
oh lol...I am not saying having a physx card is a bad idea I just think that a 9800gt would not be a good idea.....the only thing I have against physx cards is that few games that I like actually use them....the last game I played that used physx was darkest of days....really unpopular game but was IMO pretty damn good.

justme1977

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
That X2 4800+ is a Brisbane yeah? If so you are better of getting a new cpu first.
Cause well, that 9800gt is getting bottle-necked, so getting a new gpu first probably wont give you more fps in games.

kevin1981

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

It's actually a Toledo, first gen Amd 64 bit dual core from AMD's "glory days". The Asus board was also the first SLI board produced. Like i say, i"m moving to an ivy bridge rig, so i'm not too worried about bottle-necking at the cpu. I am however not really interested in overclocking at all (look how long my current rig has lasted me!)

kevin1981

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Such is what happens when you move on to new tech. However i honestly have no use for any secondary boxes right so i don't know what to do with the extra fully functionnal parts. =/

Also, I replaced an 8600gt with those 9800's. The 8600 was a terrible disappointment to me, and is currently neatly stored in original packaging.

Kevin 1981, you are right, it would be a Toledo, as its socket 939.

And 8600GT works great. I only really use it for LoL anyway. If you look in my configuration you can see that I have way too many computers lol.

The 4600+ WOULD be running an 8800GT, but it died. So this is all I had left in the spare parts bin.

kevin1981

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

And the market for 9800gt's would be... ? :p