New Video card

Griffsta

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hey just wondering what would be better choice out the asus dc2oc 780 gtx vs r9 290 tri x oc for gaming at a resolution 1920 x 1080? benchmarks would be nice if you can provide them too just for some kind of references on how the cards preform against each other if applicable.

Solution
Honestly had mantle been the success amd wanted it to be at launch I'd say get the 290 but because its had so many issues and problems and actually hurt peoples frames, im sticking with the 780. I like evga products and always have. I talked my dad into buying his 780sc at the s a me time I got my 780ti and he loves it.
Thats depends what hz your monitor is and if you ever plan on getting something more than 60hz. Like myself I run a 144hz monitor so my 780ti at 1080p is absolutely needed to hold as close to 120fps at all times as possible. So saying a 780 or 290 is overkill at 1080p can in no way be a fact and only your opinion on a unrelated subject which wasnt asked. Original question was between those 2 cards which was a better option. Again I say the 780.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
It is not an unrelated subject, if he doesn't have a 120 or 144 Hz monitor then he shouldn't needlessly spend the extra money. The GTX 760 is less than half the price of a GTX 780. I would leave it to the OP to determine what answers are related and what answers are unrelated to his posted question.

If you are buying a new gpu now IMO it would be silly to buy a bottom end card of the current generation that currently barely maxes out games at 60 fps. TO ME it makes more sense to purchase a card that shouldnt have trouble holding say 60fps + for the next several years right? I mean a 770 on bf4 holds 70'ish with dips to 40's and 50's at 1080p when maxxed out during busy maps/servers. That being said crysis 3 farcry 3 and other games as such are equally or more taxing which would mean even less fps and a shorter life span in terms of holding decent fps 2 to 3 years from now.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
The GTX 760 is an upper-mid range card, it is by no means a low end card. With Maxwell coming out on high end cards soon, in two years from now we may see a card in the same price bracket of the GTX 760 beating the GTX 780. That is why IMO going with a middle range card and upgrading every two years or so makes more sense. But some people can afford the extra cost and are ready to pay it for those 15-20 fps in most GPU intensive situations and I understand that although from a price to performance point of view at least for me it is not worth it.

Griffsta

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Yeah as azzazel_99 pointed out with the 120hz refresh rate i also have a 144hz monitor the VG278HE to be exact so yeah where applicable plus 120 frames at 1080p would be a nice factor when deciding which graphics card to get. but thanks for the input so far

Honestly had mantle been the success amd wanted it to be at launch I'd say get the 290 but because its had so many issues and problems and actually hurt peoples frames, im sticking with the 780. I like evga products and always have. I talked my dad into buying his 780sc at the s a me time I got my 780ti and he loves it.

Solution