Johnmitch7

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I have a system that I built about a month ago and I cannot get past this system freezing. I can start it and use it for some amount of time, but then it freezes. The timing is sporadic but always results in a freeze. The system is:

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI 450M Gaming Plus
(4Gb x 2 ) G Skill Rampage V DDR4-3000 Ram
Kingston a400 SSD
Radeon HD5870 Video card
Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze ATX 12V 2.4/EPS 12V 2.92 Power Supply SP-650PCBUS.

The cpu/gpu temp stays around 36 degrees Celsius.

I first started getting a clock watchdog timeout. I sent the motherboard and cpu back after extensive troubleshooting. When I got the new ones in, I flashed the Bios and no more bsod. Now it just freezes. I have tried running default BIOS settings. I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows several times. I have made sure all the drivers were up to date. I also adjusted the RAM settings to see if I turned the RAM up to 2933 or down to 1800 and this hasn't helped. Sometimes it will run for a couple minutes and sometimes up to 30-40 minutes. I have swapped out the RAM for 2 different sticks and also the video card. Is anyone good at reading event logs or is there a way that I can figure out what the issue is?
Oh yeah, and I also tried running the windows troubleshooter.
Event Viewer and System info

Last edited:

Johnmitch7

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I did a check disk on the hdd. Also, it was brand new. I had thought it was the video card, it's old. But I have 2 980ti's in my main computer and I took one out and replaced the 5870 with a 980ti and still had the same problem. I think the issue is in windows. I installed Linux Mint and it hasn't frozen yet. The only problem is now I am trying to get Overwatch running right. I do have Wine installed but I have to figure out how to get the Legacy driver for the 5870 to work. Overwatch runs but the display is ALL jacked up.