[SOLVED] New Work / Gaming PC Build Advice (Specs in post)

abbasakram64

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month or two

Budget Range: £2000-£2500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work / Gaming (Equally important as I will be doing both on this PC)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All (New build)

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
No preference

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (144hz) & 1920 x 1080 (60hz)

Additional Comments:
  • I'm trying to go for an RGB friendly and white components build
  • I play a mixture of AAA and games which don't require high end hardware such as Apex Legends
  • For work I use photoshop, chrome, IDE's etc (usually all open at the same time)
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC works well but it's more of a mid range PC, I built it over 3 years ago. Since I've been working from home I'd like to build a more high end system, both for work and gaming, the most important thing for me is to future proof this system for a good 5+ years, give or take (although might still end up upgrading the GPU if I can find a better deal than what I've found below). Please see my PC parts list below:

PC Parts Picker list

A few things to note:
  • GPU: I've already bought the GPU for £669, still not sure whether I should return and wait for GPU prices to lower but it'll feel strange building this then using my old 1060 6gb in it, any advice on this is appreciated.
  • CPU: Wasnt 100% sure what CPU to get, from what I've seen online Ryzen 7 5800x is the best for the price.
  • CPU cooler: I love the idea of having a screen to show the CPU temp on the AIO but might end up just getting a much cheaper corsair AIO and save £100.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Everything is good, good brands and good specs. There are only two things I may suggest, one of which you already mentioned

- Maybe consider another cooler, considering that one is quite expensive for the amount of actual cooling you will get for the money spent, there are better choices to save some money that will not hurt your performance much or at all.

- A standard ATX Case will be able to use a standard ATX PSU, which would be simpler to upgrade in the future, and would be less limiting in your choice of hardware. An ATX PSU, for the same cost as your SFX PSU could be a higher wattage unit, or for the same wattage, a lower price. I can understand if you want to maintain some desk space with a smaller case, but the case you have...
Everything is good, good brands and good specs. There are only two things I may suggest, one of which you already mentioned

- Maybe consider another cooler, considering that one is quite expensive for the amount of actual cooling you will get for the money spent, there are better choices to save some money that will not hurt your performance much or at all.

- A standard ATX Case will be able to use a standard ATX PSU, which would be simpler to upgrade in the future, and would be less limiting in your choice of hardware. An ATX PSU, for the same cost as your SFX PSU could be a higher wattage unit, or for the same wattage, a lower price. I can understand if you want to maintain some desk space with a smaller case, but the case you have chosen is interesting, as it does not appear to be (from a quick look) that much smaller than a standard ATX case that would cost less as well. If anything the one you selected will take up more space on the desk, because it is wider, and a standard ATX case would be taller.

Neither of these are important changes, and most of the recommendations come from the aspect of saving some money, which you could keep, or consider spending on a better GPU, either now or down the line.

Solution