News New World Record: Asus Overclocks i9-13900K to 9GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
9 GHz barrier falls hard. Very exciting

Great for the extreme overclocking community but, completely pointless for everyone else and, certainly not something that should influence buying decisions. Unless you are one of those overclockers...

I always consider those EXOC stuff to be like high end motorsports. They're exciting to watch, even though whatever they do on the track won't affect me in anyway (and to be fair won't change my car buying decisions either). But who knows, maybe they learned one thing or two which would trickle down to the consumer level products.

Great for the extreme overclocking community but, completely pointless for everyone else and, certainly not something that should influence buying decisions. Unless you are one of those overclockers...
It's not COMPLETELY pointless, it does show that processes do in deed become better as time goes on, it does show that you get better performance at the same power point compared to older ones.
It's not much but it is something.

inanition02

Distinguished
Really, they just left a ton of performance on the table for any modern multi-threaded application....or multi-tasking...

8 Threads * 9 Ghz = 72 billion total cumulative clocks per second.

At base frequencies - NO turbo even - that chip can process 16 threads at 2.2 GHz (E-Cores) and 16 threads at 3.0 Ghz (P-Cores) for a total of 83.2 billion cumulative clocks per second.
At stock all-core turbo? That's 16 threads at 4.3Ghz and 16 threads at 5.4Ghz for a total of 155.2 billion clocks per second...so they left over half the total clock cycles on the table...

USAFRet

Titan
I always consider those EXOC stuff to be like high end motorsports. They're exciting to watch, even though whatever they do on the track won't affect me in anyway (and to be fair won't change my car buying decisions either).
Actually, that was sort of a thing with NASCAR.
"Win on Sunday, sell on Monday."

Started in the 1960's, but apparently still a thing today.

Reactions: Exploding PSU

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
9 GHz barrier falls hard. Very exciting

I always consider those EXOC stuff to be like high end motorsports. They're exciting to watch, even though whatever they do on the track won't affect me in anyway (and to be fair won't change my car buying decisions either). But who knows, maybe they learned one thing or two which would trickle down to the consumer level products.

That's exactly how I explain being a PC Gaming Enthusiast and overclocking to people that ask why I(or others) do it.
It's like cars, you tinker with your machine when you have time then take it out for races.

People enjoy different things.

I've been a PC Gaming/Hardware/Overclocking Enthusiast for 30 years.

My current system is 10900K on ASUS Maximus XII Apex. Even though I am not an extreme OC'er, I have never used liquid N2, I'll buy another Apex. All my ASUS Maximus boards have been very stable, reliable boards. Also I prefer the feature set, layout, PCIE slots and I/O.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm curious how much power that uses to go that high??

we see some rather large power jumps just oc'ing normally, can't imagine what kind it takes to get to 9 ghz. even with a massive chunk of the cpu disabled.

i'm curious how much power that uses to go that high??

we see some rather large power jumps just oc'ing normally, can't imagine what kind it takes to get to 9 ghz. even with a massive chunk of the cpu disabled.
Much less than you think, it is more than normal but the extreme low temps help the electrons move around more efficiently reducing waste power by a lot.
View: https://youtu.be/UtXM71tw5fk?t=498

Status
Not open for further replies.