Question New X570 Build not working; freezing Memory management error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2020
Computer Type: Desktop; custom build

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8 GB; running at factory stock settings ( from old system in use now and stable every day use).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x running at factory settings (returned today then re-buying the same thing again in case it was bad once I get the refund money)

Motherboard: MSI MEG x570 ACE (first attempt was ASRock extreme 4 wifi x570; returned it and bought the ACE).

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (For AMD) DDR4-3600MHz CL18-22-22-42 16GB in recommended slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4) (Already RMA'd this kit for a replacement kit).

PSU: Corsair RM 850x ; 850 watt power supply unit (First Attempt was Corsair RMi650 from old build; then I bought this 850x that is currently in system).

Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 500x with the default fans / cooling solution (comes with 5 fans; 2 front, 2 top, and 1 rear).

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro / also tested with Ubuntu Linux Live USB.

Drive: Seagate Firecuda 520 500 GB SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 (returned; just purchased Corsair Force MP600 1TB gen 4 PCIe X4)

Errors / issue: Memory Management BSOD; Freezing; start menu will not open, in Ubutnu Linix Live USB; distorted colors all over monitor and frozen can't click anything.

I have made two attempts at building this new x570 computer without any luck. First attempt I had an x570 ASRock extreme 4 Wifi but I returned it for the current listed motherboard. I also had a different thermaltake case. I have also did a warranty replacement on the RAM listed and tried using the replacement RAM in the current build. I just returned the CPU yesterday and re-ordered it again (incase it was bad). The first build used my old / current systems RMi 650 watt Corsair PSU; but the current build / failed attempt is using a brand new Corsair RM 850x PSU. I also returned the FireCuda a few days ago, and just ordered the Corsair Force MP600 1TB. The GPU is from my old / current system (I put it back in my current system after this build failed and it is working great as always). I have no clue what is going on and why I keep having so many issues getting a stable x570 computer up and running. My current system I build many years ago (although I been upgrading parts here and there over the years) never had any issues and was very easy "plug and play". What is the correct steps beyond just putting all the hardware together and isntalling Windows 10 from the USB install stick? I'm I missing something that is causing this system to be soo unstable? I just keep returning and ordering different hardware hopping to get a working computer. The RAM I tried no touching anything and it runs at 2133. I have also tried turning on XMP in the BIOS / EUFI; but I still get the errors both ways. I was at first thinking it was bad RAM but I already RMA'd it. I was also getting errors with the Windows 10 setup not seeing or not being able to isntall to the drive error on the FireCuda so I thought it might be bad. I read someplace that AMD CPU's have a built in Memory controller, so now i'm wondering if the CPU is bad (which is why i returned it and re-ordered). any idea as to what the root cause is or how I can get this system up and running nice and stable for everyday use and gaming? I have no interest in overclocking beyond getting the RAM to work at the advertised speed of 3600. I just want a stable everyday system that I can turn on and use with no hastle like my current AMD FX-8350 / AM3+ based system. Maybe I made a mistake to try to build a new system but now I already have all this money tied up in all these parts and need to find a way to get it to run. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First, I'd not go with the 3800x. It's nothing more than a slightly better binned 3700x and costs @ $100 more for a possible 100MHz or so at the top end, runs 105w instead of 65w. You'd be lucky to get a 5fps difference between the 2.

Ryzen depends on the bios, greatly. Ram compatibility, Agesa, gpus, uefi, everything. And the bios is never up to date, it's only dated at the time of manufacture. So, bios updates are important, as are sometimes multiple series updates, not just installing the latest, as older bios can either have information that's necessary or the new update is just bug fixes and doesn't include any newer data.

Cpus are unique as fingerprints. No 2 are identical. Ram is the same way. Sometimes the factory settings aren't enough so you need to tweak them a little. With a memory management bsod, I'd bump up the SoC voltage by 0.05v to 0.1v, not to exceed 1.2v. That's the memory controller voltage. Your pc would probably have been fine at default settings, but the ram is listed as 3200MHz (OC) for a reason, xmp is not only an overclock but the pc might require some sort of overclock to have the strength to push the faster, more demanding ram speed.

Can't run a Ferrari the way you do a Honda Accord, you'll need to tune the Ferrari regularly, use super gas, etc etc. When it comes to high performance equipment, there's very little plug-n-play anymore.

Jun 10, 2020
Kind of hard to update the BIOS when the computer is not stable long enough to do so. The RAM should be able to "plug and play" and run at 2133. if it is super hard to get it to work as 3600 then they shouldn't have advertised it as, so but I can just run it as 2133 and call it good. The only way I can think of making an attempt to update BIOS (not sure if you are trying to say I should update each BIOS version in order before even installing Windows; or download the latest BIOS and install it before Windows install), is to boot the computer to BIOS / UEFI and leave it running in BIOS for a few hours; see if it stays running; if it doesn't have any issues; maybe then risk updating.

So now idea what hardware might be bad, or are you saying its probibly not bad hardware and its normal for brand new parts with a brand new Windows install and a linux live USB to be unstable and crash?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Let's say you wear a size 10 shoe. Can you just order any size 10 online? Or how many times have you gone to a shoe store and nixed a pair of shoes just because they didn't feel right, too squeezy on the toes, the tongue felt odd, even too big or too small?

That's building a pc. Sometimes things just don't line up the way you'd like them to out of the box. Gotta break them in, tweak them a little sometimes. Loosen or tighten the laces.

The motherboard manufacturer date will determine the original bios. That could have been last week or could have been a year ago, depending on how long it sat in the shipping container on the dock in China, how long it sat on the shelf in the store, even down to how many times it got shoved to the back of the shelf by lazy employees not rotating stock.

In that time there might have been one or multiple bios updates by the OEM. Because Ryzen itself covers such a broad range of cpus, ram, generations, limits, tables etc, sometimes you'll need to have 1 update to add information to existing bios and then a second update to change that. Without the first, nothing gets changed. For example, your original bios might have the lines XYZ. The update contains instructions to change XYZ to 123. A newer update has instructions to change 123 to ABC. What it doesn't have is instructions to also change XYZ to ABC because the update is limited in size to fit All the info. So if just installing the latest bios, XYZ remains, ABC has nothing to change and you mess up the bios.

That's all in the bios notes, it'll tell you if you need to update to a particular bios first before continuing, even add media files before further updates. You may not need any updates or several.

Many boards don't need a running pc to update bios, it's done through a USB stick in a particular port and happens before the pc even finishes boot process.

Nowhere did you mention installing any motherboard chipset drivers or gpu drivers, both of which should be done after installation of windows, but before tinkering with any bios settings, any ram speed changes etc.

BACK PANEL PORTS

Clear CMOS Button
Wi-Fi /Bluetooth Antenna Connectors
PS/2 GAMING Device Port
REALTEK 2.5G + Intel Gigabit LAN
HD Audio Connectors
Flash BIOS Button
USB 2.0 Ports
USB 3.2 Gen1 Ports
USB 3.2 Gen2 Ports Type A+C
USB 3.2 Gen2 Ports

MEG X570 ACE

First boot to bios, write down the bios version. Then lookup the bios at MSI and see what needs to be done, if anything.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
Everyone where online seems to disagree that you should be able to just install the latest BIOS. Also Everyone seems to say its a really bad idea to update BIOS on a computer with Memory errors as you could crash mid update and destroy the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.