Newbie - new computer

Justin

Hi,

I am building a PC so I can get back into Flight Sim after a long (10+
years) layoff. How well do you fine folks think this set up will work?

Enermax CS-527 Case
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=174641

LG 16x DVD-ROM
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=139155

AMD Athalon 64 3000+
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=153565

nVidia 6600
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=142764

80GB Hard Drive
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=56921

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 NF4 Motherboard
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=161701

400W XClio-SCF aPFC Super Silent Power Supply
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=156691

512MB Memory
XP Home Edition

I hope to buy this next payday.

Regards
Grimbor

"Justin" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building a PC so I can get back into Flight Sim after a long (10+
> years) layoff. How well do you fine folks think this set up will work?
> [..]

Looks fíne, but if you are a friend of add-ons, particulary meshes or
VFR-sceneries, you should think about a 160 Gig harddrive. :)

Jan

Justin

Lawn Dart wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:53:35 +0200, you wrote:
>

>>>Looks fíne, but if you are a friend of add-ons, particulary meshes
>>>or VFR-sceneries, you should think about a 160 Gig harddrive. :)
>

> I might also recommend another stick of 512 MB RAM, bringing the total
> to 1 GB.

Thanks to both of you. I agree, but, due to financial constraints more
memory and strage space will have to wait. ;-)

Regards
Grimbor

Lawn Dart <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote:

>I might also recommend another stick of 512 MB RAM, bringing the total
>to 1 GB.

You got that right!!!
I just upped mine to1gig from 512 and, WOW, what a difference!
Even the scenery and cloud details seem to have improved ... unless
that's all psychological.
You know, like your car seems to run a lot smoother after an oil
change :)

-=tom=-

x> Thanks to both of you. I agree, but, due to financial constraints more
> memory and strage space will have to wait. ;-)
>
> Regards
> Grimbor

Well sell your children and get 1Gb memory. I do not believe you can run
FS2004 comfortably with less.

--
Cheers,

Quilly

"Justin" wrote:

> Thanks to both of you. I agree, but, due to financial constraints more
> memory and strage space will have to wait. ;-)

You have a strange way to say "My wife didn't allow more" ;-)

I'm sure you will have fun with this configuration. Of course a
later RAM-upgrade will rise the fun.

Jan

steveh

"Justin" <usenet@grimbor.co.uk> wrote in message
> Lawn Dart wrote:
>> Hi Jan,

>> I might also recommend another stick of 512 MB RAM, bringing the total
>> to 1 GB.
>
> Thanks to both of you. I agree, but, due to financial constraints more
> memory and strage space will have to wait. ;-)
>
> Regards
> Grimbor

Also, don't economise on the PSU. I know that quality PSU's will cost you
more, but cheap ones are definately a false economy.
I've fixed more PC's for people with faulty PSU's than anything else.
And a faulty PSU may not just fail, you can get random shutdown problems,
instability, and in the worst case, damage to other components in the PC.

Get yourself an Antec, Enermax, Tagan or similar.

HTH
SteveH

> Well sell your children and get 1Gb memory. I do not believe you can
> run FS2004 comfortably with less.

On reconsideration, I think 1Mb will probably suffice!

--
Cheers,

Quilly

Justin

SteveH wrote:

> Also, don't economise on the PSU. I know that quality PSU's will cost you
> more, but cheap ones are definately a false economy.
> I've fixed more PC's for people with faulty PSU's than anything else.
> And a faulty PSU may not just fail, you can get random shutdown problems,
> instability, and in the worst case, damage to other components in the PC.
>
> Get yourself an Antec, Enermax, Tagan or similar.
>
> HTH
> SteveH

Are HiperPower any good? Thats the brand I have currently chosen.

Regards
Grimbor

> SteveH wrote:
>>
>> Also, don't economise on the PSU. I know that quality PSU's will cost
>> you more, but cheap ones are definately a false economy.
>> I've fixed more PC's for people with faulty PSU's than anything else.
>> And a faulty PSU may not just fail, you can get random shutdown problems,
>> instability, and in the worst case, damage to other components in the PC.
>>
>> Get yourself an Antec, Enermax, Tagan or similar.
>>
>> HTH
>> SteveH
>
> Are HiperPower any good? Thats the brand I have currently chosen.
>
> Regards
> Grimbor

Ye, they seem to be getting a good reputation. Should be OK.

Cheers
SteveH

Justin

SteveH wrote:

> "Justin" <usenet@grimbor.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>SteveH wrote:
>>
>>>Also, don't economise on the PSU. I know that quality PSU's will cost
>>>you more, but cheap ones are definately a false economy.
>>>I've fixed more PC's for people with faulty PSU's than anything else.
>>>And a faulty PSU may not just fail, you can get random shutdown problems,
>>>instability, and in the worst case, damage to other components in the PC.
>>>
>>>Get yourself an Antec, Enermax, Tagan or similar.
>>>
>>>HTH
>>>SteveH
>>
>>Are HiperPower any good? Thats the brand I have currently chosen.
>>
>>Regards
>>Grimbor
>

> Ye, they seem to be getting a good reputation. Should be OK.
>
> Cheers
> SteveH

Thanks

Regards
Grimbor

Justin

Jan Berg wrote:

> "Justin" wrote:
>

>>Thanks to both of you. I agree, but, due to financial constraints more
>>memory and strage space will have to wait. ;-)
>

> You have a strange way to say "My wife didn't allow more" ;-)
>
> I'm sure you will have fun with this configuration. Of course a
> later RAM-upgrade will rise the fun.
>
> Jan

Blissfully single thank you very much ;-)

Next payday will be for a memory upgrade. And maybe some add-ons.

Regards

Grimbor

dallas

"Justin"
> Blissfully single thank you very much ;-)>
> Next payday will be for a memory upgrade. And maybe some add-ons.

Ah.. I remember when I could buy toys for myself without having to ask
someone else... sigh...

:)

Dallas

Justin <usenet@grimbor.co.uk> wrote in news:3cfr32F6lu2t5U1@individual.net:

> 400W XClio-SCF aPFC Super Silent Power Supply
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=156691

400W sounds a little light to me. I see that PSU has a 24 pin
ATX connector, which I assume your gigabit will need, but
it doesn't provide a spec for the 12v rail. AMD and Nvidia
are known as power hogs. I think I would consider a 480 or 500 W
if at all possible.

scott s.
..

Justin

scott s. wrote:
> Justin <usenet@grimbor.co.uk> wrote in news:3cfr32F6lu2t5U1@individual.net:
>

>>400W XClio-SCF aPFC Super Silent Power Supply
>>http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=156691
>>

> 400W sounds a little light to me. I see that PSU has a 24 pin
> ATX connector, which I assume your gigabit will need, but
> it doesn't provide a spec for the 12v rail. AMD and Nvidia
> are known as power hogs. I think I would consider a 480 or 500 W
> if at all possible.
>
> scott s.
> .
Oops. Made a mistake. It's not a Hiper PSU but XClio

XCLIO 400W ATX Power Supply, Model "XClio 400BL" -RETAIL

Model# XClio 400BL

Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 400W
PFC: Active
Hold-up Time: >20ms at full load, nominal line
Efficiency: >70% at full load, nominal line
Over Voltage Protection: +3.3V, +5V and +12V
Overload Protection: 110-160%
Input Voltage: 230Vac
Input Frequency Range: 50~60Hz
Input Current: 5A Max
Output: +3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@14A, +12V2@15A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2A
MTBF: >80,000 hrs at 80% load

I'll have a look for the 450W version.

Regards
Grimbor

I would go with a 550 Watt. its what I got and power my AMD64 3400+ well
along with everything else

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.