[SOLVED] Newbie question Ram 16 X 2 or 8 X 4 ? F

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 13, 2019
First attempt to configure a computer. Will be an intel i9700K. Have 16 meg ram now and doesn't do the trick. Need help. Any thoughts?

Solution
Primary Hard Drive: 512GB Intel 660P M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)

Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB WD Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD (Plus 16GB Intel Optane Memory HDD Acceleration 18X Faster (Secondary Storage Drive))

Hi, as I mentioned in a previous reply, since you're getting an SSD + HDD combo as your "primary" hard drive, you don't need a "secondary" hard drive (unless you want 3 total drives). What they are calling "Secondary" would actually become your third drive.

The 3TB HDD would be your secondary hard drive.
Sep 13, 2019
Wow again; the link was more than convincing and $95 cheaper!
Now I'll print some of this out to make sure I have it right.

Waht do I say; man I feel like I did a home study college class on computer design; You guys have been nothing but the best. Thanks for your time and knowledge

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you want to stream at some point, undoubtedly choose the 2070 as the Turin architecture encoder and tensor cores are better for it, and they were made with OBS streaming in mind.

If you want performance for money and not streaming, I'd choose the RX5700XT.
Only one I might choose over a RX5700XT is a 2070 Super but usually even then the RX5700XT is much better value.

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Wow again; the link was more than convincing and $95 cheaper!
Now I'll print some of this out to make sure I have it right.

Waht do I say; man I feel like I did a home study college class on computer design; You guys have been nothing but the best. Thanks for your time and knowledge

You're welcome. You're going to have yourself a damn fine build ! :)(y) Enjoy it !

BTW, I had never heard of CyberPower. It looks like a good site ... I played around with the configurator.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just to clarify, "stream" here means to stream the video output of your GPU, right ? Does this mean anything the GPU outputs? Anything that is (consequently) displayed on your screen ? Or is it specific to gaming, because I've heard it referenced only in that context ?
Outside streaming of your gameplay.
So being one of those wonderful youtube streaming fanatics that I (really don't) love :)

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019
Sep 13, 2019
Newegg offers them which was my first contact. I spent an afternoon doing searches and reviews on gaming computers/companies. As expected all have individual bad reviews but overall Cyber was one of the better ones. Now I could go to Falcon but that would easy be an extra $1000

Sep 13, 2019
Think I have it:

Price: $1,954.00

__

*BASE_PRICE:[+1599]

CABLE:None

CARE1:Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]

CAS:CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ RGB, USB 3.0, Tempered Glass Window [+4] (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE:None

CC:None

CD:LG 16X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive [+86] (Black Color)

COOLANT:None

CPU:Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9700K 3.60GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 [-124]

CS_FAN:3X 120mm Case Fans for your selected case [+9]

ENGRAVING:None

EVGA_POWER:None

FA_HDD:None

FAN:Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance [-5] (Hyper 212 EVO)

HDD:512GB Intel 660P M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+65] (Combo Drive)

HDD2:2TB (2TBx1) Seagate SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+69] (Plus 16GB Intel Optane Memory HDD Acceleration 18X Faster (Secondary Storage Drive) [+29])

HEADSET:None

INSTRUCTION:$50 AMEX Gift Card with All Intel Equipped Desktops and Laptops

IUSB:Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+25]

KEYBOARD:None [-5]

MEMORY:16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+9] (Corsair Vengeance LPX [+9])

MICROPHONE:None

MONITOR:None

MOPAD:None

MOTHERBOARD:GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX w/ Intel 802.11ac WiFi, ARGB, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+103]

MOUSE:None [-3]

NETWORK:Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:650 Watts - Corsair TX-M Series TX650M 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+55]

PRO_WIRING:None

PROJECTOR:None

RUSH:Standard processing time: ship within 5 to 10 Business Days

SERVICE:3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

SLI_BRIDGE:None

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS:None

TUNING:None

USBHD:None

USBX:None

VIDEO:GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)

VIVE_HEADSET:None

WARRANTY:pREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]

WNC:None

WTV:None

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Think I have it:

__

CARE1:Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]

CAS:CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ RGB, USB 3.0, Tempered Glass Window [+4] (Black Color)

CD:LG 16X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive [+86] (Black Color)

CPU:Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9700K 3.60GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 [-124]

FAN:Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance [-5] (Hyper 212 EVO)

HDD:512GB Intel 660P M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+65] (Combo Drive)

HDD2:2TB (2TBx1) Seagate SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+69] (Plus 16GB Intel Optane Memory HDD Acceleration 18X Faster (Secondary Storage Drive) [+29])

MEMORY:16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+9] (Corsair Vengeance LPX [+9])

MOTHERBOARD:GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX w/ Intel 802.11ac WiFi, ARGB, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+103]

POWERSUPPLY:650 Watts - Corsair TX-M Series TX650M 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+55]

SERVICE:3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

WARRANTY:pREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]

(y)(y)

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Think I have it:

__

Now that you have yourself a pretty high end system, remember that it will be producing a fair amount of heat, esp. when you put it under high loads (like intensive gaming).

One thing I learned from bitter experience is that it is very important to ensure that the interior of the case, the interior of your components (esp. ones that have fans and heat sinks), and also the filters of your case's intake fans (typically at the front/bottom), don't accumulate too much dust. Depending on where you live, you should do this every few months at least (do some research for more exact info) Take off the side panel and inspect the parts. I used to use a can of compressed air with short bursts to blow the dust out.

One time, I opened up my graphics card, only to find massive cakes of dust deep in its interior. I fully disassembled it and cleaned it out thoroughly. So, if I were you, I would open up and inspect the graphics card every 3 months or so.

Overheating damage will not be obvious (unless your system starts shutting down to protect itself), till your parts actually fail (one of my video cards died after a few years). So, I vowed never to get lazy about dust removal.

I'm sure your motherboard will come with software to monitor the temperatures of different components like the CPU and video card (these are the 2 main components to monitor). Keep an eye on temperatures, esp. in the first couple of weeks, to ensure that the cooling system is adequate and has been set up properly.

Luckily, since you're buying this pre-built, cable management will not be your burden, but dust removal definitely is on you to do regularly.