Newbie seeking some expertise!

nwrrshow

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
Not even sure where to begin. The laptop I have just isn't enough, that much I do know. I'm a motorsports announcer and also do a podcast every week. Looking to start live streaming video to Facebook live and you tube, and also want to be able to to video editing without it taking forever.

I'll be honest, I really don't know a whole bunch about the technical end of everything, but would like to get something that will be good for a while. And I would entrusting you guys to guide me along to get the best bang for my buck.

Speaking of bucks, 800$ right now would be the very top of my budget, ashamed to say, but it is what it is I guess, so fire away with some suggestions as to the system you guys think would be best. 700 bucks would be a good number if I'm TOTALLY honest, and I realize so nay be asking for Xavier on a potato salad budget, but I'm all ears...Speed and reliability are super important to me as I'm travel and do alot of announcing gigs on the road. Thanks in advance..appreciate you guys very much.

Respectfully,

Terry Bridges

Solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXYO8Mqw4A

This is a fair bit above your current budget......
However. For your stated use case, which 99% of the time would allow you to plug the laptop in,
means battery life isn't a thing really.

Just suggesting a watch so you can see what a serious while not idiotically expensive laptop would/can do.
Going by your post, I would guess you would want to edit/stream while on the road.
There are lower spec versions of this, with a 6 core/12 thread cpu, less expensive graphics card, etc.

So perhaps watching this segment of the market for sales, and new products will offer something "soon' that crosses your price/performance threshold.

An SSD alongside a 1 TB platter drive, 16GB of ram, and 6...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

let us get started then

so the first question is do you already have a keyboard, case, mouse, OS, and monitor?

exroofer

Distinguished
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXYO8Mqw4A

This is a fair bit above your current budget......
However. For your stated use case, which 99% of the time would allow you to plug the laptop in,
means battery life isn't a thing really.

Just suggesting a watch so you can see what a serious while not idiotically expensive laptop would/can do.
Going by your post, I would guess you would want to edit/stream while on the road.
There are lower spec versions of this, with a 6 core/12 thread cpu, less expensive graphics card, etc.

So perhaps watching this segment of the market for sales, and new products will offer something "soon' that crosses your price/performance threshold.

An SSD alongside a 1 TB platter drive, 16GB of ram, and 6 core/12 thread cpu should be your starting points really,
if you want to be able to use it for this use for several years.

One can livestream from a phone these days, with some reasonable quality.
As an option to consider.
Of course it can't render and upload videos.....

You could make a portable desktop with the same-ish performance for a lot less money than the laptop, if this is an option for you. But would require substantially more room and weight on the road.

Solution