Newbie? Tiny output

I tried to convert an educational tape that I created on a Digital 8 machine
to a VCD with titles and close-ups, etc. It kinda worked, but the final
video was less than 1/2 of the screen except for the close-ups which ran
full screen. And the quality of the video and audio was less than the
original. I used MGI Video Wave 3 although I just bought Studio 8. I'm
using a Dell 733 with 512 K of RAM. I set the resolution to 720X480.
Any suggestions?

MonkeyBlair70 wrote:

> I tried to convert an educational tape that I created on a Digital 8 machine
> to a VCD with titles and close-ups, etc. It kinda worked, but the final
> video was less than 1/2 of the screen except for the close-ups which ran
> full screen. And the quality of the video and audio was less than the
> original. I used MGI Video Wave 3 although I just bought Studio 8. I'm
> using a Dell 733 with 512 K of RAM. I set the resolution to 720X480.
> Any suggestions?

What do you mean you set the resolution to 720x480? An NTSC VCD is
352x240 for motion video, and nothing else. VCD is inherently low
quality, but if done right they can look as good as if not slightly
better than VHS.

As for Studio, I'd recommend using something else to encode your video,
such as TMPGEnc.
http://dormcam.mine.nu:8080/s8vsvdub.html

-WD

I may be getting mixed up about the nomenclature. When I captured the video
it was set at 720x480.
When I converted it into a mpeg format that could be played on a plain CD it
was still at 720x480. I thought that MPEG that can be read from a cd is
Video CD as opposed to that which is created for DVD mode.
Thanks for your suggestion about TMPGEnc. I've seen lots of comments about
this program, DVD shrink, and Nero which I understand are free. I've paid
$$$ so that I don't have to learn three different programs. I'm not
impressed by my attempt so far.
Bob

MonkeyBlair70 wrote:
> I may be getting mixed up about the nomenclature. When I captured the video
> it was set at 720x480.
> When I converted it into a mpeg format that could be played on a plain CD it
> was still at 720x480. I thought that MPEG that can be read from a cd is
> Video CD as opposed to that which is created for DVD mode.
> Thanks for your suggestion about TMPGEnc. I've seen lots of comments about
> this program, DVD shrink, and Nero which I understand are free. I've paid
> $$$ so that I don't have to learn three different programs. I'm not
> impressed by my attempt so far.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/vcd

-WD

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:48:38 -0500, "MonkeyBlair70"
<monkeyblair70@netscape.net> wrote:

>I may be getting mixed up about the nomenclature. When I captured the video
>it was set at 720x480.
>When I converted it into a mpeg format that could be played on a plain CD it
>was still at 720x480.

You can, of course, make a 720x480 Avi into a 720x480 mpeg. But if you
ask your software to make it into a Vcd ready mpeg, it shall make it
352x240. How to "ask", depends on the specific software you use. With
Tmpgenc, you need load the settings for Vcd from a template file.
Under other encoders, you chose from a drop-down list, etc.