Newbie's First Sys.

BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
I'm a real novice, and tonight I ordered the parts to build my first system. Here's what I got from NewEgg:

CPU: AMD Duron 1.2 GHz
Motherboard: ABit KG7 (AMD761)
Memory: Crucial 256 MB DDR SDRAM

I plan on using the hard drive (20GB), CD-RW drive, floppy drive, video card (GeForce2 MX PCI), Netgear network device (USB), and sound card (Philips Seismic Edge) out of my current system. All I have left to buy is the case (I hope).

What does everyone think of the items I listed? Are all the parts compatible? Will the memory be sufficient to run XP smoothly?

I would go for any xp cpu; I beleive they start at $83. I would also get a kt266a chipset board, even if you have to buy refurbished. You'll notice a definate improvement with games. I would also check out their refurbished video cards. I use the radeon 7500, and it starts at about $59 shipped. The 8500 refurb has been as low as $89.

BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Thanks for the advice. Since my order has already been placed the processor and motherboard are on their way. For the processor, I really was on a limited budget so the Duron 1.2 GHz was what I was looking for.

I'll check out the video cards there. I have a PCI GF2MX because my current system (store-bought eMachines) has no AGP slot.