News Newegg’s New PC Building Service Might Hold Stock on Rare Components Behind Pre-Assembly Paywall

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
So pay a price premium for a "rare" component, then hundreds more for other components required to make a computer you don't need, then $99 on top of that for assembly...

Yeah, no thanks, I'll stick with B&H and Amazon and just do without the latest and greatest if it's not in stock.

Yep. yet another example of corporate greed. It's almost like Movie studios also owning the distribution channels...

Reactions: JoBalz and Kridian

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I asked them to do exactly this several weeks ago, after many attempts to enter the Shuffle ended in "You were not selected".

I pointed out that they would make even more $$$$ if they sold those GPUs to people who want to build an entire system, instead of forcing us to buy some unwanted product they want to dump on us.

Today I checked their new service. The best Nvidia card available on it is a GTX 1650, or you can get the AMD 6700/6900 $1,000/$2500.

Now I have to do the F***king Shuffle again today if I want a shot at a GTX 3060 - GTX 3070 Ti.

So, it doesn't look to me like they are serious about this new service afterall.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
This article is not reporting. The article would be just as valid to state there is a possibility that Alicia Vikander will personally deliver the parts to customers.

Reactions: Mickiey
I asked them to do exactly this several weeks ago, after many attempts to enter the Shuffle ended in "You were not selected".

I pointed out that they would make even more $$$$ if they sold those GPUs to people who want to build an entire system, instead of forcing us to buy some unwanted product they want to dump on us.

Today I checked their new service. The best Nvidia card available on it is a GTX 1650, or you can get the AMD 6700/6900 $1,000/$2500.

Now I have to do the F***king Shuffle again today if I want a shot at a GTX 3060 - GTX 3070 Ti.

So, it doesn't look to me like they are serious about this new service afterall.

Not sure about RTX availability. The last couple times I've been in Microcenter. Their GPU aisle was nearly half full of AMD 6700/6900. At around those same obscene prices. I'm guessing the GPU maker got a bit too greedy on their MSRP. So, there's a bunch of them sitting around and not selling.

As for other GPU all they had were the cheap junk or old models at absurd prices and none of the RTX 3000 series.

Reactions: Soaptrail

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've built dozens of PCs and never once had to use a soldering iron for any part of it. What is it with stock photos and PC equipment that makes it seem like you need to solder all sorts of stuff together?

Safety glasses? OK, I guess we're extra safe.

Latex gloves but no static band? Seems like an odd choice, especially wearing that cotton denim shirt.

Two motherboards like others have said (check out the I/O backplate, and already installed GPU....its there) but why installing it vertically rather than laying down? Also, 2002 called and wants its AGP slot back as well as all of those old IDE connectors and printer port. At least they have onboard LAN and audio.

Hey, props guy, find me The. Smallest. Table. Possible.

JWMiddleeton

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
the longer you look the weirder it gets

Agreed! Based on the age, I'd say that the soldiering iron is to replace blown caps. ;)

As for as the build service goes, it is rather smart of Newegg as they have all the parts. So, instead of just selling a GPU, they get to provide the whole system. Most of Tom's regulars will not use it, but plenty of folks will. I've wanted a new GPU since they were announced back in the Fall, but not willing to pay scalper prices. I built a new system in Jan and the only major part I kept was an Asus Strix GTX 1660 Super. It does O.K., but I'm not taking advantage of my new monitor. Specs in Sig.

I've built dozens of PCs and never once had to use a soldering iron for any part of it. What is it with stock photos and PC equipment that makes it seem like you need to solder all sorts of stuff together?

Safety glasses? OK, I guess we're extra safe.

Latex gloves but no static band? Seems like an odd choice, especially wearing that cotton denim shirt.

Two motherboards like others have said (check out the I/O backplate, and already installed GPU....its there) but why installing it vertically rather than laying down? Also, 2002 called and wants its AGP slot back as well as all of those old IDE connectors and printer port. At least they have onboard LAN and audio.

Hey, props guy, find me The. Smallest. Table. Possible.

I've used a soldering iron on a couple builds.

One was a PowerMac G4 mATX conversion. The second was a PowerMac G5 ATX conversion. In both cases it was to custom wire the front panel. To make the front power button, LED, USB, Firewire and audio from a Mac work with a PC motherboard. So, not your run of the mill build.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Right, and I certainly have done some soldering work for custom cabling in builds where it might be required, but nothing really for an 'out of the box' typical PC build.

I guess I should have specified that with a disclaimer: 'not needed for most PC builds'

Blitz Hacker

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
New egg will totally lose my business over these types of moves. They're literally changing their business model from selling components of various types, to anything you actually want they want to bundle. They're not NZXT, maybe they'll have the stock, but I'll just switch to B&H or amazon for my components then. Si's get the components aswell. Just another stupid cash grab that I can see evaporating as soon as the semi conductor shortage ends. Shamless money grab, Nvidia beat them to it with the 30 series Ti's tho. This is just shameless profiteering. Because buying that i7 cpu you didn't want for a video card wasn't bad enough, now they want you to get a complete system. If you want a complete system, you can already get those (and with good supply) from other system integrators. ugh <face palm>

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
New egg will totally lose my business over these types of moves. They're literally changing their business model from selling components of various types, to anything you actually want they want to bundle. They're not NZXT, maybe they'll have the stock, but I'll just switch to B&H or amazon for my components then. Si's get the components aswell. Just another stupid cash grab that I can see evaporating as soon as the semi conductor shortage ends. Shamless money grab, Nvidia beat them to it with the 30 series Ti's tho. This is just shameless profiteering. Because buying that i7 cpu you didn't want for a video card wasn't bad enough, now they want you to get a complete system. If you want a complete system, you can already get those (and with good supply) from other system integrators. ugh <face palm>
Why? It's just business and the business they are in is highly combative and competitive. They are just taking advantage of it. If they have stock but Best Buy, Amazon, BH Photo doesn't then they can sell it at the price they want and bundle it with other parts.

As of this morning Amazon has stock of the RX 6700xt for the low low price of $939 and it goes up to around $1,000 depending on the card. This same card once had an MSRP of around $479. Pretty much every online retailer is taking advantage of the current shortages. If you want a XBOX Series X or Playstation 5, Gamestop is doing the same by allowing you to jump the queue ONLY if you are a Gamestop Rewards member.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I remember when newegg was associated with trust and integrity.
Evidently those words don't go with their business anymore. Maybe it will all be great, but like their shuffle sham, don't bank on it.

I used to purchase almost all my PC equipment from them. I have noted that in particular over the last year or so that the experience has gotten worse and worse. Shame, really.

Why? It's just business and the business they are in is highly combative and competitive. They are just taking advantage of it. If they have stock but Best Buy, Amazon, BH Photo doesn't then they can sell it at the price they want and bundle it with other parts.

As of this morning Amazon has stock of the RX 6700xt for the low low price of $939 and it goes up to around $1,000 depending on the card. This same card once had an MSRP of around $479. Pretty much every online retailer is taking advantage of the current shortages. If you want a XBOX Series X or Playstation 5, Gamestop is doing the same by allowing you to jump the queue ONLY if you are a Gamestop Rewards member.

Actually, a lot of the price has to do with the card makers (ASUS, Gigabyte, &c). While $479 was the original MSRP from AMD. The card makers can set any MSRP they want. That's why they released a bunch of new SKUs. Even though they were immediately selling out the old ones. Not to entice buyers with more variation. But to have new SKUs with a higher MSRP. Basically just changing the box and colors of the heatsink a little. Then jacking up the price. I don't think the retailers or distributors are making much more per card. It's the board makers plus the governments tax on Chinese imports.

mikepellegrini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2020
Newegg is just taking advantage of the scarcity of video cards, by forcing their customers to buy extra, useless stuff that they don't want and don't need – if they want to get the video card.

I don't see that this differs any from selling flashlight batteries for twenty dollars each during the middle of a blackout. Yeah, no one is forcing you to buy a video card. Just like no one forces you to buy a flashlight battery during a blackout. The thing is, it's unethical to jack up prices like that – simply because you can. That's no way to treat valued customers.

Newegg arrogantly thinks it's customers are there solely to be abused, in whatever manner they see fit.

Newegg Philosophy: Don't like it, customer? Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Newegg Mission Statement: Our customers are stupid oafs worth precisely dog crap, and we can do whatever we want to them because there are millions of people who'll easily replace them.

Maybe in a monopoly market that kind of attitude would work. But this isn't. Newegg doesn't operate in a vacuum. They're not the only game in town.

I hope people remember what Newegg thinks of its customers after this is all over, and vote with their feet.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them in the past, but no longer.

I wouldn't buy anything from Newegg now, if they were the only place on earth.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
So pay a price premium for a "rare" component, then hundreds more for other components required to make a computer you don't need, then $99 on top of that for assembly...

Yeah, no thanks, I'll stick with B&H and Amazon and just do without the latest and greatest if it's not in stock.

Amen to that. The last year or so, I've started using B&H all the time. Very competitive prices, a good selection of parts, fast shipping (just confirm before ordering that it does say it's in stock, otherwise it can take a while in the current manufacturing environment). Sometimes they even beat out Amazon!