newegg.com sucks! where should i buy instead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
No, they really do suck. I'm in the process of RMA'ing yet another item. A simple KVM switch that is just dead. They tell me that the 30day replacement period starts from the sale of the FIRST item. So if you get a bad replacement (which has happened more than once), it's still based on the sale of the first. This is probably the reason they take their time with RMA's.

How do you guys think this ROCKS!???

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I understand Newegg.com is great for many...
However, for Canada, Newegg.ca is absolutely horrid.

I've switched to NCIX.com
Sometimes it's more expensive, but sometimes it's cheaper. Plus they have really cheap express shipping.
And unlike Newegg, they've had it easier keeping 4870's in stock. =D

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Well Im sorry that some of you have had horrid experiences with Newegg. Most of my parrts that I get for my business come directly from the egg. Yes I have had some problems just the same as I have problems with other resellers, just as others have had problems from my company and so-on and so forth. RMA's are problematic NO MATTER what company you buy from. My best advice to someone who has multiple problems with purchased items is to STOP buying the CHEAP parts. In my experience there are more problems out of the cheap parts arriving dead or flaky, then there are the shipping problems if you ship cheap odds are you will likely recieve a broken part or worse DOA.

oberSD

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I strongly recommend avoiding Newegg.com at all cost as they've gone down hill in the past year. I was a faithful customer for years but that's no longer the case. A few months ago, I ordered a charger for my cell phone from Newegg. I never received the item. When I attempted to contact their customer service department, they took down my information but didn't bother to follow up. I contacted my credit card company to file a claim against Newegg. I was given a credit after they were also unsuccessful in trying to get someone at Newegg to address what happened to the charger that I ordered.

Being stupid, I gave Newegg the benefit of the doubt and ordered a power supply on rebate last week. After I placed the order, I discovered the rebate was invalid. The manufacturer, OCZ, stated the rebate can only be claimed if you bought it during a certain date range. Newegg was advertising it on rebate when in fact the rebate didn't start until days later!

I received the power supply, installed it, and the stupid thing doesn't work! On top of that, it destroyed over $400 worth of parts! I had to replace the motherboard and video card. Thank you Newegg for selling me junk that was fictitiously advertised as a rebate item. When I went to RMA the power supply, guess what? Newegg decides to charge me a 15% restocking fee and an additional $11.99 for an USB drive that I didn't order. They automatically tossed in the "free" USB drive without my consent then proceeded to charge me for it when I decided to return the power supply from hell.

I tried to contact Newegg about the RMA and nobody has bothered to respond to me. Just like before.

Lastly, when I was packaging up the defective power supply into the original shipping box, I noticed the Newegg label had the same address as the RMA department. In fact, the label said my items was shipped from the RMA deparment to me. That means Newegg sent me a power supply that had previously been returned and never marked it as such.

Shame on Newegg for being a POS company. They've lost a customer for life and I've spent thousands in the past. They've obviously been taken over by some shady new owners or managers.

BUYER BEWARE!

Feb 24, 2006

Dear oberSD and the rest of you within this thread,

Thank you for posting your experiences and thoughts regarding Newegg.com. oberSD, not that this is what happened to you, but what you said is a very common misconception with rebates. Yes, there are certain date ranges for when rebates are good. Because of this, we must post the current rebate with the applicable date range. If you make your purchase on the last day of the current date and then go back the next day to download the rebate, the form will have a date range that is not applicable for your purchase. We provide all the rebate forms (for all date ranges) here: http://www.newegg.com/Special/Reba [...] ate-Center

The restocking fee should not have been charged, since it was a defective part. Please contact me so I can rectify that situation, along with the USB drive.

As for the shipping package with the RMA label. Allow me to take this opportunity to explain something that has recently changed with our system. We place the Return Ship To address on our packages as our RMA warehouse. This allows UPS to return all packages, whether they were undeliverable or refused by the customer, to our Returns Warehouse for processing. Please check the tracking to see what city your shipment originated from.

I apologize to anyone else whose issue I did not address and welcome anyone, including oberSD, to contact me directly with any questions or concerns. You can call me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or e-mail me at joshua.l.key@newegg.com

Thank You,
Newegg.com

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
So, how come Newegg_Support hasn't posted in a year?
I've switched to local shops anyways... But I may be friendly enough to send you back some shitty RAM I got.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I love newegg. The closest store to me is Best Buy (which I hate), and Compusa (which is inconvenient to get to). Newegg is always very cheap, and I have never had a broken part.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I buy most things from Frys. I'm sort of shocked that Frys prices are better than some of newegg prices. Newegg doesn't have a giant store filled with 20something dudes in bad fitting shirt and ties. Newegg prices should be better than any and all brick and mortar retail stores.

For example I bought a coolermaster 932 HAF case yesterday for $99.00-$25.00(mail in rebate)=$74.00 from Frys. Same exact case from newegg is $124.00 with free shipping.

The price with the free shipping still doesn't even out since there is a $25.00 mail in rebate from frys. I understand newegg has to ship the 30 pound case(for free) so they gotta add on a bit to the price in order to cover their "free shipping". But why doesn't newegg offer better pricing on graphic cards?

I spent about four hours at frys looking all all their products and making mental note and comparisons. GTX 260 216shader at Frys is $219.00-30.00(mail in rebate)=$189(before tax) mail in rebate.

At newegg its $204.99-10 .00(mail in rebate)=$194.99 before tax and shipping.

After mail in rebate prices the frys is $5.00 less. No big deal, but like I said before Newegg doesn't have a giant store full of sales emloyees they have to pay every two weeks. They don't have to purchase insurance incase a customer slips and falls inside their stores. They don't have to build a giant parking lot in order for customers to have space to park. Their costs are way lower so their prices should be, too.

With that said, I like newegg. They are close to me so shipping is usually received next day if they ship out same day. I just wish they would be competitive with their pricing. There is no excuse for having higher prices as an E-Tailer when compared to traditional brick and mortar retail.

Another testimonial to Newegg. Bought lots of stuff over the last six years:
-- Always delivered as promised.
-- No billing or shipping address problems.
-- One problem with a rebate form - I bought a PSU the day before the rebate period started, I should have increased the page-width on the form so I could actually see the dates of the rebate period.
-- Couple of RMAs: monitor, HDD, and RAM, used the chat window to describe the problem, ultimately getting the RMA#s.
-- I really like Newegg's products' pictures and the reviews because they allow me to do further research for expert reviews and info on the mfrs' sites: specs, drivers, and manuals to help me decide. I have not found another vendor with the range and depth of reviews and pics as Newegg.
-- Wide selection of components and mfrs.

My only gripe is that the prices change, up, down, up, etc., almost daily in some cases. Since I don't usually have to have an item right now, I watch it for a while to see if, and by how much the prices vary - then try to order it on a low-price day. OK, I've missed a few price drops.

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
NewEgg is just another outlet... I'm sure they sell enough to cover for all the F*ups. I used to flip burgers for a company that I will not disclose. However, some customers did NOT get what they ordered and were NOT compensated fairly.

Remember, when a big company has your money, it ceases to be your money.

TMLewiss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
The thing that bugs me about Newegg is their RMA costs. It is just a joke that you have to pay return shipping, restocking fees and wait another 5-8 days to get your item. I don't understand people who say they have good service? Just because response times are swift doesn't mean service is good. I am guessing most of you live close to its warehouse? If you don't, the RMA process is way to expensive for many items.

Amazon has free shipping returns, no restock fee and they mail you your replacement instantly (before you even send yours back). I really wish I would have bought my HAF 932 from there. I just ordered it form Newegg b/c I am so used to using them. I didn't think about return costs. If it is dented, like many report. It would cost me $54 to RMA it (Texas to Cali). That is just a giant joke. Why do I have to pay for something that isn't my fault. Aren't I already paying for the service from Newegg and the shipping... I can only pray now, but I always have terrible luck...

Now some of you may say that it is UPS's fault. It probably is, but Amazon covers that. Newegg really should to. They should get insurance for items so that if it is damaged in shipping they get the money from UPS, not the customer. It honestly makes no sense that you have to pay for damages beyond your control.

IDK, I have never had to RMA anything that big and heavy before. I may not even need to. Maybe Newegg has some sort of plan where its cheaper to ship with UPS? I have actually read some people getting processed labels by Newegg for defective items so that return shipping is free. In any case, it would be enough to turn me off of Newegg for life if I have to pay $50 to get a replacement, when I don't even know if that will have the same malfunction. Refund, buy at Amazon and boycott Newegg is more likely.

spleee254

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
wtf man.... new egg owns but if you don't like them go with tiger direct... so many deals... so many it... it hurts me

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
felt i owed this an update as i see posts still arriving on it.

I'm still buying from newegg and think i might have just hit a bad string of luck all at one time. they were great about the hard drives. i got stuck with that crappy batch of seagate drives that were all defective. after the third seagate failed i just gave up and ate the cost and bought a velociraptor instead. no problems with that ever.

the power supply they just didn't get the right model sent and i had an 850 instead of a 1000w and they remedied that.

the shot blu ray drive, again not their fault.

ram had lots of timing issues or it was the motherboard that needed settings manually set, i can't remember. not their fault, evga or ocz issues.

anyway, long story short, i don't mean to pick on the egg. it was a very frustrating build this last time around but i think it was just bad luck. i have an evga board and gpu, intel quad core cpu, zalman power supply, ocz memory, pioneer blu-ray drive. i researched the hell out of it and i think they are good products, i think i just got unlucky. newegg is cool.

i should start a thread about gateway instead! :) i had the multi-month experience some of you have mentioned here. their power box failed on me in the middle of a lan party on my xdh3000 and it had three months left on the one year warranty. i had to go back and forth with them for about two months because they swore up and down over and over again that my warranty was up. i couldn't even get tech support without paying money for it because when i called or e-mailed, i was immediately asked for information on my purchase in order to get help and always told immediately i couldn't get help because the warranty was up. i finally had to make multiple copies of my original purchase slip and send that out before someone gave in and changed the purchase date to what i had from purchasing it (a receipt from them) and then got the unit fixed. but that's a new thread. :)

ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I've been a newegg customer for many years; spent thousands there for my home and work. Never had many problems until recently.
I bought a Plustek film scanner; installing the drivers corrupted the registry of my new Win7 system; had to do a complete reinstall on a brand new computer. When I went to return it; newegg wanted to charge me a restocking fee because it wasn't "defective"; it was "incompatible". What? Even though the Plustek website said the scanner was Win7 compatible and had Win7 drivers on their site(the ones that ruined my system). No response from Plustek by email or phone. Restocking fee + return shipping=$50; I was lucky to be able to sell it to a person with XP, losing only $40.
Even more problems with hard drives. I bought a Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive that was DOA; back to newegg plus $9 shipping. Got another drive; this one is defective with bad sectors. OK; enough Seagate for me so I request a refund. For an $80 drive; after restocking fee I get $53. Plus the $18 in return shipping fees. WTF? Then I remember; the drive was a "combo deal"; where newegg throws some trinket in there at no additional cost. This time it was a hard drive docking bay; never took it out of the box. So they deduct the cost of the docking bay from the hard drive. OK; I'll return the docking bay. Is it defective? No; restocking fee plus shipping. Bottom line; I paid about $44 to newegg and they don't deliver a single working hard drive. Seems like they offer these "combo" deals on OEM hard drives; especially those that seem to have a lot of bad reviews. While I can't say for sure; it seems like a strategy to unload bulk hard drives that don't seem up to spec as well as containers full of Chinese hardware nobody would buy so they pull the combo deal stunt.
I also noticed that newegg rating system seems a little funny; the Seagate drive has 20% one egg, 59% five eggs. The WD 1TB Black has 77% five eggs, 7% one egg but both drives overall rating is four eggs. The ratings in between were roughly the same. Not sure how that works out.
I never buy off brand stuff and I'm careful about researching stuff I buy; but when you buy tech stuff online; there's only so much you can do. I was getting ready to buy an SSD from newegg, but these past few experiences have made me a little sketched. Sure, once in a while you get a bad part; but my last three out of four products have had problems. Some of their policies have given me a little doubt as well.
So basically; I'm bummed. I used to be able to count on newegg as a reliable source for computer parts; now I'm not so sure.

I've placed over 100 orders on newegg. ~98% of the parts have arrived and worked perfectly. The parts that I've had to send back were hassle free. Newegg has even sent me prepaid shipping labels to send them the RMA'd items.

They simply have the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with.

Feb 24, 2006

ronbo613,

Thank you for posting your experience and allowing us to be able to reach out to you. Unfortunately, if you create the returns online, restocking fees will always be applied as default. However, by simply contacting us, we will waive this fee as well as create Pre-Paid Shipping Labels for issues that are out of your control, such as defects. afor10's post expresses the ease of returns...Thank you aford10 for your kind words.

I welcome you to contact Newegg Rep Joshua at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or joshua.l.key@newegg.com so we can address the issues you've outlined. I apologize about what happened and we look forward to assisting you and any others who read this and would like assistance.

Thank You,
Newegg.com

ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Thank you , Newegg_Support; at least you respond to your customers; and as I mentioned; I have never had any complaints until recently. No doubt the majority of your customers are satisfied; but for me; I need to reconsider what I am spending my money on and where I spend it.
I'm sure I am in the minority of newegg customers and I hope that everyone reading this will end up with the majority.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
@ NEWEGG

BOHICA

B end
O ver
H ere
I t
C omes
A gain

Another disatisfied customer! Well I guess it doesnt matter that a good majority of people get what they pay for proptly and good working parts. There will always be someone you can not please!!!!!!!

G

NEWEGG SUCKS .. try replacing a laptop from them - ordered from them for years .. recently bought a laptop - defective .. replaced it .. (it takes them about 3 weeks to receive .. and test before they ship you another laptop) - you CAN'T return .. you CAN'T replace the model of the laptop either - you can ONLY get a replacement ..

so when you buy an ACER laptop .. you buy junk .. that you cannot replace / exchange into something decent ..

overall i bought thousands of dollars from newegg .. when there's no issues .. they're great .. when there is a problem they are worthless ..

avoid newegg .. ESPECIALLY on expensive items .. for a laptop look towards bestbuy .. i bought from them before and was pleased with the price as well ..

tigerdirect is not much better if you consider that you will never receive any rebate offers for one reason or another .. and shipping is expensive.

NEWEGG SUCKS .. try replacing a laptop from them - ordered from them for years .. recently bought a laptop - defective .. replaced it .. (it takes them about 3 weeks to receive .. and test before they ship you another laptop) - you CAN'T return .. you CAN'T replace the model of the laptop either - you can ONLY get a replacement ..

so when you buy an ACER laptop .. you buy junk .. that you cannot replace / exchange into something decent ..

I've had to RMA some items with newegg. I think they were great. I even had a motherboard that was past it's RMA date. I explained the situation, and not only did they let me RMA it, they sent me a prepaid shipping label. They didn't have to do either, but they did. That's exactly why I always purchase almost everything from newegg, and will continue to do so.

I get the impression that you weren't happy with what you purchased, and wanted to upgrade through RMA. You can't blame newegg for that. :pfff:

If you don't like Acer laptops, then don't purchase one to begin with.

barrydpeters

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

Newegg is at fault because they should have a telepathic ability to see through the shrink wrap of new items they are selling and determine whether the manufacturer has properly assembled them before they sell them to the customer. Seriously, the only thing stupider than that is hearing you whine about manufacturers defect's being the fault of Newegg. Newegg has always had a prompt, courteous, generous RMA policy that is clearly spelled out in advance of every purchase. The owness is on you to plug your goodies in and test them within the prescribed time. You're embarassing yourself, pal.

Concern_22

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Well I don't know about you guys but for now I am doubting their shipping speed.

So I ordered G.Skill DDR3 Ripjaws *8gb(2x4) for $38 WOW!
This is my first time ordering from them and I don't know if I should be concern but my package said it was "out for delivery" like
Nov 14,2012 at 12:59pm so I was excited and what not I was like wow that was fast shipping I waited until 5:30 when they close didn't show up.
So the following morning it says "delivery status not updated"o_O
Should I be concern,should I wait,did it already come and someone has it,WHAT!?

Can someone email me and tell me what this means or if you had the same problem please just message me.

Sldom0@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.