News Newegg Insider Reportedly Reveals Radeon RX 6900 XT, RX 6800XT, RX 6700 XT Specifications

Secondly, the Radeon RX 6700 XT presumably features 6GB of GDDR6 memory. If the Stream Processor (SP) count is legit, the Radeon RX 6700 XT should replace the Radeon RX 5700 XT, which has 8GB of GDDR6 memory. We wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's unlikely that the successor would arrive with less memory than the model it replaces.
Unless the performance-per-CU significantly improved, it seems a bit unlikely that the successor to the 5700 XT would have the same core count as its predecessor, especially with Nvidia being more competitive with pricing this generation. The RTX 3070 will supposedly be somewhere around 50% faster than a 5700XT for as little as $500, and I suspect there will be a 3060-class card for around $400 or less with perhaps around 25% more performance than a 5700 XT. More likely, a 40 CU card would be priced closer to the 5600 XT's price slot at under $300, and at that level, 6GB of VRAM might make a little more sense. That would leave the 60 CU card to be more of a successor to the 5700 XT, with performance close to that of the 3070, while the 80 CU card might compete more with the 3080. Again, that's assuming performance-per-CU hasn't changed dramatically.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

ajr1775

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014
If AMD can at least deliver good results at a good price point............remember, Steam hardware survey listed a GTX 1060 as the most popular GPU.....then it will be fine. That coupled with all the gaming console business will keep them going. Also, they shouldn't have the availability issues at launch that Nvidia has encountered due mostly to such high and never before seen demand. https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I think a big factor in the lack of RX 480 and RX470 cards in the steam survey is there popularity for crypto-mining. At MSRP they are a better value than the GTX 1060... at MSRP. Not for nearly $1000.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
The previous leak suggested that the 200 watts card has 22 Tflops speed. This means that the RX 6900 XT would be at least 30 to 33 Tflops at 300 watts ... Things are looking more and more interesting here , Nvidia might be in trouble !

Last edited:

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
I am expecting AMD to do what they have been doing a lot in recent years on the graphic side, make a capable product that has great value but doesn't quite challenge Nvidia at the top tier. I hope I am wrong.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
does it really matter? their drives will suck and your system will crash 10 times a day. I have a new system with 3700x and 5700xt and it crashes all the time with gpu driver issues. Stick a different GPU in and it runs fine. I am going for a 3080 for the fist time in 10 years.

I have had a 6950 HD (good card), R9 390X (good card, but hot) and now a reddevil 5700 xt. It is fast but I do a clean 9install every new driver and it still crashes up to 10 times a day.

Last edited:

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
In my opinion, the memory interface for the RX 6800 XT just don't make sense. A graphic card targeting 1440p and 4K with a lower mid range memory interface is going to be problem. I will take this with a pinch of salt and wait for official specs.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
well, there have been a few people mentioning the " infinity cache " redtechgaming ( i think i is ) as well as jaystwocents i think mentioned it, and some one else

Reactions: digitalgriffin

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I am expecting AMD to do what they have been doing a lot in recent years on the graphic side, make a capable product that has great value but doesn't quite challenge Nvidia at the top tier. I hope I am wrong.

That really isn't what AMD is doing. Most of AMDs GPUs are on paper superior to their nVidia counterparts. Yet somehow they perform 10% worse. There is nothing wrong with AMD hardware if a program is designed to use AMD hardware. For instance consoles or crypto-mining where AMD matches what a higher price range nVidia card does at 10% less power. The issue is that the majority of graphically intensive PC software is designed around nVidia's architecture. AMD just puts out some hardware, makes some drivers and fixes, and expects the developer to do the rest. NVidia proactively pays developers money or sends people to have the developer use certain pipelines designed around nVidia's hardware. The only way AMD will get a win here is if they also proactively get developers to use AMD centric pipelines.
The issue with the current RTX cards for AMD will be that the RTX cards will have superior paper stats than what AMD produces.

Reactions: watzupken

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
That really isn't what AMD is doing. Most of AMDs GPUs are on paper superior to their nVidia counterparts. Yet somehow they perform 10% worse. There is nothing wrong with AMD hardware if a program is designed to use AMD hardware. For instance consoles or crypto-mining where AMD matches what a higher price range nVidia card does at 10% less power. The issue is that the majority of graphically intensive PC software is designed around nVidia's architecture. AMD just puts out some hardware, makes some drivers and fixes, and expects the developer to do the rest. NVidia proactively pays developers money or sends people to have the developer use certain pipelines designed around nVidia's hardware. The only way AMD will get a win here is if they also proactively get developers to use AMD centric pipelines.
The issue with the current RTX cards for AMD will be that the RTX cards will have superior paper stats than what AMD produces.
I agree. Most games are Nvidia optimized on the PC. After all based on surveys, Nvidia have the lion share of the discrete graphic market. You can observe that games optimized for AMD cards runs very well on AMD graphics. Where a game is heavily Nvidia optimized, AMD tend to falter hard in those titles.

does it really matter? their drives will suck and your system will crash 10 times a day. I have a new system with 3700x and 5700xt and it crashes all the time with gpu driver issues. Stick a different GPU in and it runs fine. I am going for a 3080 for the fist time in 10 years.

I have had a 6950 HD (good card), R9 390X (good card, but hot) and now a reddevil 5700 xt. It is fast but I do a clean 9install every new driver and it still crashes up to 10 times a day.
I agree man, but it does get better over time with AMD, e.g. a 580 now outperforms a 1060 as drivers have (finally) matured

Same for the Vega 56 and 64 cards

Reactions: saltyGoat11
Apr 10, 2020

Couldn't agree more. AMD software team is completely incompetent. Just look at Ryzen installation problems. Fancy animations but installer does not work correctly.

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
Haha, well good luck with your 3080, because no one is having crashing issues with those at the moment...

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Unless these chips have an unheard of amount of cache, it's hard to see sense in these bandwidth figures.
Rumours are that these GPUs will have a huge cache.

Unless the performance-per-CU significantly improved, it seems a bit unlikely that the successor to the 5700 XT would have the same core count as its predecessor, ...
The expected higher clock speed and higher IPC should result in better performance per CU, yes.
Still seems a bit low on the amount of VRAM though.

... Most games are Nvidia optimized on the PC. ...
... it does get better over time with AMD, e.g. a 580 now outperforms a 1060 as drivers have (finally) matured.
What Nvidia does is employ a huge amount of driver developers who optimize their drivers to run specific games well, the "Game Ready" drivers. These optimisations are added to the lackluster generic drivers and result in great performance when running the games for which they're optimised.
AMD doesn't have those resources and therefore has to make do with good generic drivers.

As an architecture gets older it doesn't get that much attention from its manufacturer, so Nvidia's drivers for the Pascal (and even more notably Maxwell and older) architectures don't get that much (if any) love and care and they don't get proper Game Ready drivers.

It would be quite interesting to do a performance comparison using the latest GPUs from AMD and Nvidia but only fairly new games (from Indies and such) that have never gotten any "Game Ready" drivers...

mspencerl87

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I bought my first AMD card since my 7870, i bought a 5700. I've had nothing but driver problems with it almost a year now. Every new version brings different issues.
Which i had waiting almost 5 years to update from a GTX 970.
I hope this go round, AMD will release a stable card.
I know not everyone has these issues. Good for you. But my gosh, its been a pain in the ass.

Please, AMD make us proud with this series release!

Intel has used eDRAM in the past. That's one possibility.

Original XBox One did this. That was AMD Bulldozer.

That said, the 6700's 6GB RAM amount is a little concerning. 5700XT 8GB is really a 1440p card. As the 6700 is supposed to be a 5700XT replacement, it should have a similar target window. You really will go over 6MB on certain games with the details turned up @1440p. 6700's 6GB RAM clearly relegates this to the 1080p territory for full details.

This caching system is a lot more effective than you guys realize, and will play a much bigger role when AMD starts using MCM's for graphics cards and possibly APUs. I had a feeling about this about 4, 5 years ago when I saw their architecture roadmaps for CPU's

First round of Navi APU's will use this cache with a separate MCM for graphics. The second round revision high end will include some form of 4GB HBM memory. It will be heterogeneous and part of the heap memory pool but reserved by the graphics driver.

My only mistake here was assuming the third round of APU's would be Navi based. I didn't think AMD would wait so long to bring the mods to the APU side because GCN is power hungry, and monolithic dies are not as cost effective (lower margins for APUs). I actually thought Navi would first appear in the 3000 series APU's. Looks like I was a couple generations off.

Last edited:

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Did you try a GeForce? or you only had AMD? Did you try another PSU? Switch your RAM? Install those cards on another system? Or you just assume it's the drivers, because Windows tells you 'the driver stopped working'?

I mean, I've had only AMD gpus since the geforce GTX 680 days, and almost no problems with drivers. My friend had frequent issues with a Phenom II 955 and an HD 6850, but last moth I discovered that the cpu fan was installed wrong, probably causing overheat issues. I still think his PSU is not good, too.

Check your other stuff. If an issue persists with three different boards, it's probably not the boards fault.

Something else is wrong with your system. It's not the drivers. I suspect the card or a power supply issue. A lot of gaming crashes are coming from power supplies that are noisy, or right on the edge of their limits. As they warm up they just start to flake. As the RTX30 series shows us, clean power delivery is more critical than ever.