NewEgg Refurbished. Anyone have any experience?

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I was looking around Newegg at case fans when I found there refurbished section. Me thinks that at least with case fans this is pretty safe. But, I'm asking, does anyone have any experiece with this specifically at newegg.

DDay

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
No but you know what's refurbished means right. Basically it a product that has been return by an unsatisfied costumer or whatever their reason is and it is place back in the shelves for sale as a refurbished for it is not been tested back by the manufacturer. So there's no guarrantee if it's going to work properly or work at all, so buy at your own risk. But for a case fan there should be little risk to buy it.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Well, I was actually kind of suprised when I read that on newegg that they use the term in that sense. Normally it means something that was broken and they fixed. Obviously that isn't true, though I do think they test it. They can't just sell lots of broken parts, refurbished or not. They just can't garruntee it. But mabye I'm wrong.

DDay

losmeme

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have a lot of experience with NewEgg and refurbished products. Unfortunately, they often send refurbished product out when you have ordered new retail. This is the case particularly with video cards.

Three months ago I ordered a new EVGA graphics card, and what arrived was so obviously refurbished as the product box had blue, ball-point pen markings UNDERNEATH the shrink wrap. This was in no way new product.

NewEgg worked with me when I brought it to their attention, but they kept calling it a mistake, which really left me p*ssed off. This was NO mistake, the fact that they re-shrink wrap product is disgusting. (Their refurbished products are not shrink wrapped) Particularly when in the course of getting all this staightened out, they said that absolutely no product is tested. It is much cheaper for them to just send out untested, returned product, and deal with the customers that do have a problem with it down the line.

This was not the first instance of receiving refurbished product when I purchased new, retail product from an on-line retailer. Compuvest sent me an MSI motherboard, advertised as new retail, that was also very obviously refurbished. Not only did the serial number on the board not match that on the box, but MSI confirmed to me that it was a refurbished motherboard. Compuvest was very difficult to work with, and in fact intimated that I was trying to scam them. Disgusting.

Moral of the story, it really isn't product labeled as refurbished that you have to watch out for, as NewEgg did rectify the problem. You need to be watching your new retail product to ensure you haven't been sent refurbished as a cost saving measure.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If you want the best 120mm fan then get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344

This Silverstone FM121 120mm fan has an insane amount of cfm and highest settings. I got this when I was running HSF for my cpu and it performed well. Now it's cooling my radiators as all fans in my rads is this FM121. At medium settings is the best as it gives plenty of air and very quite as well. This this fan is as powerful as small room fan and I'm not kidding. It comes with a fan speed controller as well.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have bought hundreds of refurbished & new items from NEWEGG over the past 4 years & I can say I have recieved very few defective items ,,, about the same as with new items from them. That has been my experience.
The thing is most people are too lazy to go & hunt the drivers & manuals to properly install the products. There was a time when 50% of the refurb items would come with most of the accessories sadly thats not the case anymore.
I have no problems buying refurb parts, you can get some good prices, they are first tested by some lazy fool who will return it & then it is tested at some repair facility on return & if repaired, tested again maybe a total of 3 time. Many new items are never tested, sometimes 1 in every thousand is tested for quality control purposes.

Newegg's customer service IS STILL THE VERY BEST BY FAR & I will continue to buy from them for that reason alone... Hope this help some.

I was looking around Newegg at case fans when I found there refurbished section. Me thinks that at least with case fans this is pretty safe. But, I'm asking, does anyone have any experiece with this specifically at newegg.

DDay

I think people return Fans to newegg because they are either too loud, or they do not move enough air.

If quiet is your main objective then you need to remember to use a Zalman Fanmate 2 to control the fan speed. All fans are noisy at 12v, you need the fanmate to lower the voltage.

The YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SL-12 is a pretty good fan that is both quiet and can move a decent amount of air.

Nexus 120 mm Quiet Case Fan- Black & White this is a very quiet fan and they are expensive as well. They are cherry picked Yate Loons that are kinda quiet even at 12v. Definitely a premium fan, but some say they do not move much air. Then again those who say that may have a hot Pentium 4 under the case.

GLOBALWIN 120X25MM is also pretty popular quiet fans as well.

Panaflo 120mm L1A - FBA12G12L1A - These can move a lot of air, but a fanmate 2 is definitely needed to tame the noise. This is also a premium product. There are plenty of other Panaflos that can move as much as 117 CFM of air at full speed, these definitely need the fanmate 2 to slow down.

TRICOOL 120MM is another goody that is moderately priced.

SILVERSTONE FM121 120mm - Someone may have already pointed out this little baby at newegg.

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (800rpm) 120mm S-FDB is a pretty quiet fan with relatively low CFM, but Scythe do make other fans that can move more air , but is louder.

Remember to get the ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 Fan Controller to control both speed and noise.

That should give you a few fans to consider.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
If you purchase a refurbished part & it does not work you have 7-15 days in which to return it no questions asked basically. No waiting for any long drawn out RMA process. You can read their disclaimer,,, only thing that bad with NEWEGG now is UPS shipping,,, FedEx shipping was much better.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If you want the best 120mm fan then get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344

This Silverstone FM121 120mm fan has an insane amount of cfm and highest settings. I got this when I was running HSF for my cpu and it performed well. Now it's cooling my radiators as all fans in my rads is this FM121. At medium settings is the best as it gives plenty of air and very quite as well. This this fan is as powerful as small room fan and I'm not kidding. It comes with a fan speed controller as well.

this does look like a very nice fan, but when just one single case fan of yours is almost as loud as your cpu fan, it becomes too loud. if you're running stock cooling then this fan would be classed as pretty much "silent".

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I got recently my Asus AN32 MB from Neweeg as refurbished, product arrived in the original colorbox with all manuals , cd and acessories except one back plate , which I am still waiting to finish my setup... well maybe you will get a full product , but may miss some detail ... I would love to trade color box for back plate... anyway...product is fine and working well so cannot blame newegg on refurbished products..as I save some good bucks on this item so back plate was a minnor missing...

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Census PC, EPOX & GigaByte are good suppliers of I/O Shields, they have been my sources for (back plate as you call it) correct name is I/O shield.
Just tell them you need one with the same layout as what you have, just make sure you know what you have. You can matcht by photos of other boards on newegg's site.

Feb 24, 2006
Hello TG Forum members,

We just wanted to let everyone know, in case anyone was unaware, that we are available here on this awesome forum to offer our assistance. If anyone needs help with a recent order placed on our website, please feel free to PM us and we will be glad to provide our assistance.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
For real? Man, thats crazy. I guess they saw how many of the links that they got to them were from here. I'm not suprised. Well, may I be the first to welcome you on this thread.

WELCOME!

:D

DDay

P.S. I may not be a Newegg aficionado, and fan boy, but I do respect you guys. I just shop around for lower prices.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have bought refurbished for the systems I have built for customers. Only have had 1 problem and like 1 person already said, some times you get a brand new product at refurbished price.

The first thing I have ever sent back to newegg was just 2 weeks ago. Money was returned to my bank, hardly any questions asked. Very simple process as well!

Yes, I shop around for best prices too, but somehow, newegg always has every one beat, Even Ebay.

When you have such success with one company, why move. I just wish my orders would always come from NJ, instead of CA.

BBQ

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
From the Newegg web site:

Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS. Refurbished items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

http://www.newegg.com/home/Clearance.asp?Type=Clearance

Does Newegg pay for return shipping on defective products? If not, you could waste a lot of money on shipping items back to Newegg that other people already have found defective until you stumble on a good one.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
No they don't pay for shipping!

BUT the shipping on refurbished is $1.00.

So can't see how you can lose that much loot in shipping bud.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
i think you have 15 days to return Referbished things if there broken

so far i only use ZipZoomFly.com or Newegg....sadly they 2 things i orderd from new egg a HIS 9800 Excalbur came DOA T_T , so that left a bad taste in my mouth however i gave em another chance and orderd a Therlmatake XsaserIII Super Tower came in nice and PSU wasnt DOA

now i know the Graphics card could have been HIS fault but i was still angry, u save 230bucks and u want it to work when it gets in :p,

but when i do my 07 upgrades ill prob go with Zipzoomfly.com or Newegg.com depending on prices , so far so good with the ZZFly orderd CPUs, Mobos, Headphones all comes in boxed nicely and working :D

G

refubrished means refubricated or Recertified by the manufacturer.

sheldon5992

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I just had a terrible experience with new egg. They literally take no responsibility for their items. Im trying to return a defective item and they are telling me there is nothing they can do. Its crazy.. I would have been better off buying a computer on ebay. At least if you have a problem there you can return for a full refund.

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME