[SOLVED] Newly build pc, freezes and reboots

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
Hey guys, so I'm not big on computer knowledge on the inside, so I got some help to build my new pc. It has been running smooth till a few days ago.

It started with World of Warcraft, the computer froze and rebooted.. This has not happened again with this game.

I went in and played Risk of Rain 2 and with 100% certainty the computer freezes and reboots about 10-30 min into the game. This only happens when gaming.

I've tried various things from various forums, and it still seem to be happening.

Tried, reseating RAM, checking for overheating, updated drivers, also did a memory test, nothing was shown.

As I said, I'm not big on the computer language so I might not know what you are saying if you try to help, sorry :(
Does anyone know a fix for this?

Solution
I see no problems with temps. Also, it can't be because of thermal paste. I have no idea what might cause these freezes and reboots, but first things that comes to my mind are:
  • problems with PSU.
  • CPU was overclocked hard before and it aged.
  • faulty GPU
  • faulty mobo
  • RAM timings too tight or defective memory.
  • some unknown software.
  • MOST LIKELY - something completely different we can't even think about.

As I said, these freezes, crashes and reboots problems are very hard to narrow down because a wide range of things can cause them. Sorry I cannot help.

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
Unfortunately, no. These type of freezes and reboots can have very diverse causes software and hardware and the only way I know is to test separately every component on a similar computer in the hope to find the faulty one.

I see...

I also see a lot of "fixes" going around with reseating RAM, update drivers, update BIOS.. I tried all this but one stood out different, removing CPU and replace with new thermal paste, could this be something i should try? I remember when i built it, i might've put a bit too much thermal paste on it, im not sure if this could cause problems like this.

This said i am not amazing with computers...

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
Post your PC's full specs, otherwise others won't know where to start troubleshooting.

Oh yes of course...

Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
System: 64-bit
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z930-p
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

And Windows 10
Got a 230GB KINGSTON SSD
And an old Seagate HDD

Also, it literally just happened to me again, that it froze and restarted.

Tyr Antilles

Commendable
Sep 16, 2019
tyrantilles.blogspot.com
I see no problems with temps. Also, it can't be because of thermal paste. I have no idea what might cause these freezes and reboots, but first things that comes to my mind are:
  • problems with PSU.
  • CPU was overclocked hard before and it aged.
  • faulty GPU
  • faulty mobo
  • RAM timings too tight or defective memory.
  • some unknown software.
  • MOST LIKELY - something completely different we can't even think about.

As I said, these freezes, crashes and reboots problems are very hard to narrow down because a wide range of things can cause them. Sorry I cannot help.

Solution

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
I ran 2 memtests yesterday over 6 hours and no problems, a hard drive clean and fix, also no problems, clocked RAM down to 2666 instead of 3000, but still have the problem.. PSU is new aswell, no clue if theres a problem there.

Something weird i noticed is that its only with the game Risk of Rain 2.. Could it be the game?

Also no noises coming from my computer when it happens. (Seems like this is the case if its the PSU causing trouble)

Could be external devices aswell, like keyboard etc, but its only with this game.

Last edited:

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
Something interesting happened, was playing RoR2 again and it crashed but DID NOT reboot.
This is the event log error:

Faulting application name: Risk of Rain 2.exe, version: 2018.3.14.59889, time stamp: 0x5cc1cb86
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2018.3.14.59889, time stamp: 0x5cc1cbcb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000860e87
Faulting process id: 0x178c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d56e296ecd1f0f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Risk of Rain 2\Risk of Rain 2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Risk of Rain 2\UnityPlayer.dll
Report Id: 42550233-d01b-47f1-b65b-da8240f85594
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Tyr Antilles

Commendable
Sep 16, 2019
tyrantilles.blogspot.com
Hmm, if the problems appear only on Risk of Rain it can be the game itself. Or an incompatibility with the video driver. If this is the case maybe you can try to uninstall the video driver and try with an older version, see if the problem persist.
Don't have high hopes. This is just another shot in the dark.