Question Newly built PC crashing

Apr 12, 2022
Hello, I am new to the forums bringing an interesting situation I have been facing.

PC Specs for background info:

Ryzen 5 5600x
B550 Steel Legend
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
AMD RX 6700 XT
EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

BIOS version: 1.20 (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Steel Legend/index.asp#BIOS) which is the 2. Support AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series processors update
Driver Version
21.50.21.01-220331a-378260E-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition

Whenever I do certain things, my pc completely crashes. Like no blue screen, just crashes into an instant reboot. When I launch Warzone for example, instant crash. When I booted up Dead by Daylight, instant crash, but I booted it up again and it was fine, but crashed when I hit the back button on the game.

Running games like GTA and Rust and CSGO (besides some coil whine), completely fine. The PC runs completely fine outside of these issues. I haven't done any overclocking or anything in the AMD software, it's all on default

I think it might be because I only have the 8pin cpu plug plugged in on its own, instead of the additional 4 pin as well, I thought you only need to plug in the additional 4 pin connector if you're like, overclocking the cpu and need more power or whatever, which I am not, but maybe if I do that it will be better and stop crashing? Cause sometimes when I crash Adrenalin says "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure", so I assume its power related?

So I plugged in the additional 4 pin connector, and it seemed to fix the issue for awhile, but then crashed when I changed a setting in DBD again. But I was then able to play a game for quite some time, and never had any crashes.

I ran prime95 for a few minutes, and at 100% load it didn't crash or anything. I figured maybe it was fixed, booted up Warzone, just for it to completely crash again.

In Event Viewer in System Windows Logs, there's a WHEA-Logger that says:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

Im thinking maybe I should update the bios to the most recent one? cause the bios updates are regarding AMD AGESA (https://itigic.com/what-is-amd-agesa/), so maybe theres some issues regarding that

But I'm not really sure what to make of this. I hope someone can help out, as I have just built this pc and it's kind of annoying.

Hello, I am new to the forums bringing an interesting situation I have been facing.

PC Specs for background info:

Ryzen 5 5600x
B550 Steel Legend
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
AMD RX 6700 XT
EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

BIOS version: 1.20 (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Steel Legend/index.asp#BIOS) which is the 2. Support AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series processors update
Driver Version
21.50.21.01-220331a-378260E-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition

Whenever I do certain things, my pc completely crashes. Like no blue screen, just crashes into an instant reboot. When I launch Warzone for example, instant crash. When I booted up Dead by Daylight, instant crash, but I booted it up again and it was fine, but crashed when I hit the back button on the game.

Running games like GTA and Rust and CSGO (besides some coil whine), completely fine. The PC runs completely fine outside of these issues. I haven't done any overclocking or anything in the AMD software, it's all on default

I think it might be because I only have the 8pin cpu plug plugged in on its own, instead of the additional 4 pin as well, I thought you only need to plug in the additional 4 pin connector if you're like, overclocking the cpu and need more power or whatever, which I am not, but maybe if I do that it will be better and stop crashing? Cause sometimes when I crash Adrenalin says "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure", so I assume its power related?

So I plugged in the additional 4 pin connector, and it seemed to fix the issue for awhile, but then crashed when I changed a setting in DBD again. But I was then able to play a game for quite some time, and never had any crashes.

I ran prime95 for a few minutes, and at 100% load it didn't crash or anything. I figured maybe it was fixed, booted up Warzone, just for it to completely crash again.

In Event Viewer in System Windows Logs, there's a WHEA-Logger that says:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

Im thinking maybe I should update the bios to the most recent one? cause the bios updates are regarding AMD AGESA (https://itigic.com/what-is-amd-agesa/), so maybe theres some issues regarding that

But I'm not really sure what to make of this. I hope someone can help out, as I have just built this pc and it's kind of annoying.
Have you done a CMOS reset? Even if you have, you might do it again. After, do not make any changes in BIOS and use the system with 'bone stock' settings to see if it's stable that way.

Your CPU doesn't draw enough power to overload a 4 pin plug, let alone an 8 pin plug. 8+4 pins is overkill.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022
Have you done a CMOS reset? Even if you have, you might do it again. After, do not make any changes in BIOS and use the system with 'bone stock' settings to see if it's stable that way.

Your CPU doesn't draw enough power to overload a 4 pin plug, let alone an 8 pin plug. 8+4 pins is overkill.

Hello, I have just reset my CMOS battery. After that, I confirmed settings were reset (saw the ram back at 2600), and then I booted up. Upon launching Warzone once again, the pc has crashed.

I'd like to note that the only settings I have changed at all in my bios are

1. Setting my ram to 3600mhz
  2. Setting 3 of my fans to monitor CPU
  3. Disabling the motherboard lights that are on when the PC is off

Ahh alright thanks, I'll just leave the 8+4 in anyway cause why not

Should I just try and see if the bios update with work? I just don't want to cause any more issues yk

Ahh alright thanks, I'll just leave the 8+4 in anyway cause why not

Should I just try and see if the bios update with work? I just don't want to cause any more issues yk
Leaving the 8+4 pin won't hurt, and having all the connections filled is satisfying to those of us with certain OCD afflictions. :)

Yes, I'd suggest updating BIOS. Looking back at the board's support page you linked v1.20 looks to be a ryzen 5000 launch BIOS (or thereabouts); there have been a lot of improvements since then.

But...some problems inserted too, to be fair. For instance: audio glitching because of the fTPM. Later BIOS' enable fTPM by default, so if you get the audio glitch problem try disabling the fTPM to see if it fixes it. AMD's said they have a new BIOS update they're readying to fix it but you can't wait it seems.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Apr 12, 2022
Leaving the 8+4 pin won't hurt, and having all the connections filled is satisfying to those of us with certain OCD afflictions. :)

Yes, I'd suggest updating BIOS. Looking back at the board's support page you linked v1.20 looks to be a ryzen 5000 launch BIOS (or thereabouts); there have been a lot of improvements since then.

But...some problems inserted too, to be fair. For instance: audio glitching because of the fTPM. Later BIOS' enable fTPM by default, so if you get the audio glitch problem try disabling the fTPM to see if it fixes it. AMD's said they have a new BIOS update they're readying to fix it but you can't wait it seems.
I have updated the bios, and I have SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHED WARZONE! I don't want to jinx anything, but it looks like it's working! Thank you for your help