[SOLVED] Newly built pc, nothing’s going right

U_OTriggs

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019
I recently built my own pc. I actually finalized it yesterday. I had issues from the start, first, my power button didn’t work, so I had to bridge it with a screw driver (started working afterwards). Then, I spent 2 hours trying to get windows 10 installed. I was struggling because for some reason it wouldn’t bring me to the installation screen and would continuously reboot. I got It after someone helping me out on another forum. Now, the biggest issue. It worked great last night, I was busy installing drivers and making sure I had everything I needed. One fall back of it was that I couldn’t get the resolution to 1920 x 1080. I thought it was weird. But I moved on. I finished installing drivers and I was prompted for a restart, I complied. It booted back up in a matter of a couple seconds, and I moved onto installing games. Of course, being cultured I decided to install Minecraft first. But before I even got to the log in page, the screen went black, my task bar was the only thing I could see on the screen (mind you it seemed to switch to 1920 x 1080) then my pc made a “Woosh” noise and shut off. I turned it back on, it booted into windows and did the blue screen “windows had an issue. Please wait while we collect some info” etc it hits 100% and shuts off. It didn’t turn back on so I turned it on manually. It loaded into the “preparing” recovery thing. Then it loads into windows and everything seems fine. Except after a couple minutes it repeats the whole resolution thing.

Is it from a bad graphics card? I did get it second hand and it’s quite old, I was only going to use it to set up my pc while I wait for my good one to arrive. Or should I start sending in return requests for all my hardware?

Solution
Gotcha.

Besides the usual method of downloading the update from the manufacturer's site and then restarting and going back into bios:
My mobo has a bios update feature where it can download and install the update directly from bios - the PC will restart to enable networking, as it's normally disabled in POST.
Yours may or may not be able to do that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did you ever get around to updating the motherboard's bios? I'm thinking it may be the ram.

Would need another gpu to test whether the current one works or not - or perhaps bring it to a shop and have them try the gpu out on their test system.
Ryzen 2700X doesn't have an integrated gpu.

U_OTriggs

Prominent
Nov 26, 2019
Did you ever get around to updating the motherboard's bios? I'm thinking it may be the ram.

Would need another gpu to test whether the current one works or not - or perhaps bring it to a shop and have them try the gpu out on their test system.
Ryzen 2700X doesn't have an integrated gpu.
I haven’t gotten around to updating the bios because I don’t have a usb to do it with. Is there another way to update? I was also thinking it might be the GPU. I have a new one coming in a few days

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gotcha.

Besides the usual method of downloading the update from the manufacturer's site and then restarting and going back into bios:
My mobo has a bios update feature where it can download and install the update directly from bios - the PC will restart to enable networking, as it's normally disabled in POST.
Yours may or may not be able to do that.

Solution