[SOLVED] Newly built pc starts, no display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Disabling onboard ethernet and wifi solved the problem.
Was able to load into windows after they were disabled.
Looks like other folks are having this problem too, mainly on Asus boards.

Thanks for the help guys!
Hopefully this setup lasts me a long time! :D

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There should be (at least) two cables providing power to the motherboard, the large 24-pin connection and a smaller 8 (often 4+4) pin connection (near the CPU). That second connector is different than the 6+2 pin connector used to power the GPU.

Are all of these connections correct?

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
There should be (at least) two cables providing power to the motherboard, the large 24-pin connection and a smaller 8 (often 4+4) pin connection (near the CPU). That second connector is different than the 6+2 pin connector used to power the GPU.

Are all of these connections correct?
You may have a dead or malfunctioning GPU here. If you've got a spare discrete card laying around by chance, try swapping it in and see if that fixes it.

I was a complete idiot and missed the 8pin on the top left.
Another problem has popped up though.

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
What is the new problem?
I installed windows 10, made a mistake with partitioning, but on the way I installed AMD's chipset drivers, decided to restart and reinstall windows thinking it would all be wiped anyway but now I get error messages while trying to get past the new windows installation after formatting the hard drive

First error bluescreened with the :( face saying it failed, and has this error: BUGCODE NDIS DRIVER

When it restarts according to itself, it fails to start up and gives me a different error message saying "Windows failed to install. Press OK to install again"

I've cleared the CMOS and shorted the jumper pins according to an ASUS service rep but nothing has changed. I still get the same error while trying to reinstall windows 10.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
I installed windows 10, made a mistake with partitioning, but on the way I installed AMD's chipset drivers, decided to restart and reinstall windows thinking it would all be wiped anyway but now I get error messages while trying to get past the new windows installation after formatting the hard drive

First error bluescreened with the :( face saying it failed, and has this error: BUGCODE NDIS DRIVER

When it restarts according to itself, it fails to start up and gives me a different error message saying "Windows failed to install. Press OK to install again"
What happens when you hit OK? If no other options are available, I would try booting from a USB into safe mode if you need to so that you can reformat the hard drive and try again.

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
What happens when you hit OK? If no other options are available, I would try booting from a USB into safe mode if you need to so that you can reformat the hard drive and try again.
After hitting OK, it restarts, then loops back to the same message.
Just now I managed to get to the "repair windows" option. Any ideas if the solution might be in there?

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Disabling onboard ethernet and wifi solved the problem.
Was able to load into windows after they were disabled.
Looks like other folks are having this problem too, mainly on Asus boards.

Thanks for the help guys!
Hopefully this setup lasts me a long time! :D

Last edited:
Solution