[SOLVED] Newly built PC suddenly doesn't boot the day after

Mawkog

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Hi all,

Last night I built my pc and it ran fine at first boot. I even rebooted multiple times after installing Windows 10. However, in the morning after booting the PC it was stuck at the boot screen. It wouldn't respond to any input so I shut it down with the front power button. Booting after that shows nothing anymore and thus I cannot get into the BIOS, but all fans spin. Additionally, the keyboard and mouse don't light up anymore. I tried:
  • Moving RAM to different slots
  • Booting with only one RAM stick
  • CMOS battery taken out and put back in
  • Clear the CMOS
  • Checked all cables
  • Tried to use other inputs of modular PSU
  • Tried to boot with minimal build (no HDD, SSD, fan RGB, etc.)

Any help would be really appreciated since I'm at my wits' end and the build worked fine yesterday.

Solution
It seemed like if I didn't touch the PC for an hour, it would sometimes boot into BIOS. So it seemed like a power problem and I brought the PC to a repair shop. They found out the problem was a dead motherboard and when using a new one the PC worked again. No idea how it died overnight though.

Lutfij

Titan
Welp, considering that is a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so::
Case:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Which slots were/are the rams populating on the motherboard? Have you tried breadboarding the system with only the bare minimum, like one stick of ram, iGPU(if you have it on the processor), boot drive alone...?

Mawkog

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Hi, thank you for your reply. The system's specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB
SSD: M2 SSD (SK Hynix 256GB)
HDD: Seagate HDD 2TB
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Aegis (2x8GB) 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair TX750M

The RAM sticks are in the second and fourth slots following the motherboard manual for dual channel memory. I tried booting with one stick of ram, no HDD or SSD and sadly I don't have integrated graphics so the GPU was connected.

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
After loosening the CPU fan I suddenly got into the BIOS, however after rebooting I got the same problem again, no video output and spinning fans

This of course looks like a GPU problem... Did you stress the GPU at all yesterday in order to make sure it was running ok out of the box?

Make sure your GPU is seated well in the PCIe slot... Maybe try changing its position to the second slot temporarily?

Mawkog

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
This of course looks like a GPU problem... Did you stress the GPU at all yesterday in order to make sure it was running ok out of the box?

Make sure your GPU is seated well in the PCIe slot... Maybe try changing its position to the second slot temporarily?

Hmm how can it be a GPU problem if I touched the CPU fan? I didn't stress test the GPU or CPU yesterday, just booted up Windows a couple of times. But I'll try putting the GPU in a different slot, thanks for the tip

Mawkog

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
It seemed like if I didn't touch the PC for an hour, it would sometimes boot into BIOS. So it seemed like a power problem and I brought the PC to a repair shop. They found out the problem was a dead motherboard and when using a new one the PC worked again. No idea how it died overnight though.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS