Question Newly built PC suddenly turning on and off repeatedly

Jan 14, 2021
Hi, so I built a gaming PC about a week ago. Everything booted up perfectly, I installed all my software and even started playing games on it with no issue. I turned it off one night and went to turn it on the next day and it powers on, fans start moving, RGB lights up then it turns off and reboots again. I've included the full specs below but I just don't understand how it can work perfectly one day and then stop working the next.

update unplugged each part and tested to see what was causing the PC to shutdown. Turns out it's the RAM. They're both new sticks and when I test each stick individually in each slot they all result in the PC turning on and off.

Could it just be faulty RAM even if it worked fine for three days?

Microsoft Windows 10
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory - Black
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe 1.3 M.2 (2280) 3-Bit V-NAND SSD - MZ-V7S1T0BW
Corsair RM750 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
NZXT H510i Smart Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case - Matte Black
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK AM4 ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core Socket AM4 3.6GHz CPU Processor + Wraith Prism Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC PRO 8GB Video Card
Seagate ST2000DM008 2TB BarraCuda 3.5" 7200RPM SATA3 Desktop Hard Drive

Last edited:

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
The First thing you can do is unplug all connectors and power from the pc and hold the power button down to drain any power in it, then reconnect only what is necessary (power, monitor, keyboard) and try to turn it on again.

If that does not work, you can unplug the cmos battery on the motherboard for 1 minute while the computer is unplugged from power and after a minute, put the battery back in and try again.

Jan 14, 2021
Hi, thanks for responding.

So I tried the first option and it booted up then cut out but didn't try to turn on again. After removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in the PC went back to booting up and cutting out repeatedly. Not sure what I should try next. Is it worth taking it apart and putting it all back together again?