[SOLVED] Newly built pc won't post

Dec 6, 2019
so i built my pc with all new parts last night, and when i turned it on it won't post. all the lights turn on, the fans turn on, but no one is home

i've tried:
reseating the ram
only using 1 stick of ram
removing the gpu (the debug led was on for gpu)
reseating the mobo battery
displayport into gpu, displayport into mobo, hdmi into gpu
made sure everything was seated properly
removed mobo and made sure there wasn't too many standoffs

no beeping whatsoever btw, no beep codes and no post beep.

parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9XPL9G
parts 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BMKgBZ

Last edited:
Solution
Cpu would be one of the last components to suspect i guess, it's the only original part left.

The reason i asked about the cpu_fan is if this isn't connected, like connected to cha_fan instead, the motherboard doesn't know if the cpu is being cooled and prevents the system from operating to protect the cpu.

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
Since you have tried and checked everything and still it wont post at all, you may have a hardware problem. Dont worry, everything is under warranty and you can replace some parts. First the motherboard, then the RAM, and finally the CPU. Test everything individually.

Dec 6, 2019
Since you have tried and checked everything and still it wont post at all, you may have a hardware problem. Dont worry, everything is under warranty and you can replace some parts. First the motherboard, then the RAM, and finally the CPU. Test everything individually.

yeah i decided i'm going to go and replace the motherboard, and the ram because i discovered the ram isn't listed as compatible on the manufacturers site? pcpartpicker listed them as compatible but i know ppc can be wrong. so that could be an issue too (but probably not, no reason for it to not be able to work)..... but regardless i'm just gonna get a different motherboard and different ram. and then that SHOULD fix everything

Dec 6, 2019
Yeah that's the one. Not many get that wrong, not having it connected or incorrectly will prevent post.

Both sides of the PCIe external cable connected to psu/gpu?

If you have an HDMI TV, try only the TV connected, no other monitor.

yeah everything is plugged in where it should be. i can't really do the tv thing, but i have dual monitors and they're both plugged in, and no dice. not even with a monitor plugged into the mobo.

Dec 6, 2019
Try just one monitor with only Displayport to the graphics card. Disconnect Hdmi from monitor and PC. Turn off monitor for 10 minutes, afterwards see if you get a display.

i mean i've done 1 monitor, 2 monitors, displayport into gpu, displayport into mobo, hdmi into gpu... :( this is day 3 of this so i've definitely been turning my monitors on and off a lot, plugging and unplugging things. i'm not sure what it could be other than the psu or cpu now honestly

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I would keep it simple and only try 1 monitor 1 display type. Displayport + Hdmi can be finicky getting them both working at the same time. As an example with this thread how stubborn video ports can be.

Not that it's your issue but knowing stuff like that can happen with displays, it's best keep components to a minimum when trying to diagnose.

When testing ram, you're using A2 slot yeah? 2nd slot from cpu.

Dec 6, 2019
I would keep it simple and only try 1 monitor 1 display type. Displayport + Hdmi can be finicky getting them both working at the same time. As an example with this thread how stubborn video ports can be.

Not that it's your issue but knowing stuff like that can happen with displays, it's best keep components to a minimum when trying to diagnose.

When testing ram, you're using A2 slot yeah? 2nd slot from cpu.

ah i had been using 1 monitor up until today, it's actually my first time testing my left monitor today but i figured i should give it a shot, but nope. when i tried both they were both via displayport, i don't like switching it up as you said.

the mobo actually wants ram in the 4th slot so that's what i've been doing! https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-P/E15011_PRIME_Z390-P_UM_v3_web.pdf page 1-7

(but yes i tried it in the 2nd slot as well, and nada)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just double checking about cpu_fan header again. Looking at your mobo layout, theres a couple cha_fan headers for chassis, just checking not made the mistake thinking cha for cpu. Print can be small and cha almost looks like cpu lol.

The upper right most header above pump is the header you're using yeah?