Question Newly installed RTX 2070 Super's fans are very loud when booting up my system but then become silent after 5 - 6 seconds

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I replaced my "RX5700XT" with an "EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming" about a week ago and although the card performs okay, whenever I boot up my computer the fans of the GPU spin very loudly for about 5 seconds and then gradually become very silent and stop.

I've been told by EVGA support that this noise is caused by "Power On Self Test" but they didn't specify how I would be able to stop the fans spinning so loudly when I boot up my system. I'm just wondering if there is something I could do in BIOS that could get rid of this annoyance?
I had an AMD RX5700XT before replacing it with the 2070 Super and it was completely silent when I booted up my system and remained quite silent even when playing some resource demanding games. I don't understand why it is necessary for my 2070 Super to be so loud at boot up?

My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Motherboard
Corsair 16GB ram
1TB Samsung EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 PSU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
Fractal Design Define R6 PC Case

Any helpful information would be appreciated!

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Hi there,

I replaced my "RX5700XT" with an "EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming" about a week ago and although the card performs okay whenever I boot up my computer the fans of the GPU spin very loudly for about 5 seconds and then gradually become very silent and stop.

I've been told by EVGA support that this noise is caused by "Power On Self Test" but they didn't specify how I would be able to stop the fans spinning so loudly when I boot up my system. I'm just wondering if there is something I could do in BIOS that could get rid of this annoyance?
I had an AMD RX5700XT before replacing it with the 2070 Super and it was completely silent when I booted up my system and remained quite silent even when playing some resource demanding games. I don't understand why it is necessary for my 2070 Super to be so loud at boot up?

My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Motherboard
Corsair 16GB ram
1TB Samsung EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 PSU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
Fractal Design Define R6 PC Case

Any helpful information would be appreciated!

Kind regards,

Have you tried using ddu to get rid of the old remains of the previous amd drivers?
or maybe updating your motherboards bios to the latest version?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Have you tried using ddu to get rid of the old remains of the previous amd drivers?
or maybe updating your motherboards bios to the latest version?
Apologies, I forgot to mention in my original post that I used DDU when removing the RX5700XT and replacing it with the RTX 2070 Super. Subsequently I installed the relevant NVidia drivers for the 2070 Super. The new card works fine with games so I don't think there's any issues with the drivers.

I updated my BIOS maybe a week and a half ago. Do you think I should try to update it again?

Last edited: