Question Newly Installed SSD Disappeared

Webslinger64

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Installed two Crucial MX500 1TB SSDs recently. Disk Management recognized both drives, and both initialized and activated successfully. I installed Windows 10 Pro on one SSD without a hitch. Wanted to use the other SSD for data storage. My backed up data is on an external HDD. When I went to transfer that backup to the SSD, I ran into an issue. The backup on the HDD was located in a OneDrive folder. I dragged and dropped the OneDrive folder to my SSD. It began transferring files, but after a few minutes there was an error window that popped up. The error code was a 0x8 something (I foolishly didn't write it down). Cancelled the transfer and tried to delete the partial OneDrive folder on the SSD, but it wouldn't delete. Rebooted my PC hoping that would fix the issue. The reboot took a long time (I normally reboot under 30 sec.). When the OS appeared, my pinned programs on the Taskbar were gone. Rebooted again, and again it took a long time. When the OS appeared, all pinned programs were back. Checked This PC for my Data SSD and it was gone. Went to Disk Management. It showed a Disk 0 that was unallocated, so tried to initialize and got this error message:
Virtual Disk Manager
A device which does not exist was specified.
As of now, Disk 0 has a red circle with a white upside down arrow in it to the left of of Disk 0. Underneath it says, Not Initialized.
No idea why this happened or what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? Might want to also see if Crucial's Storage Executive has any firmware updates for your SSD's and if the latter SSD shows up. Curious, did you have both SSD's installed on your board when you were installing the OS?

Webslinger64

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? Might want to also see if Crucial's Storage Executive has any firmware updates for your SSD's and if the latter SSD shows up. Curious, did you have both SSD's installed on your board when you were installing the OS?
No, the OS SSD was installed two days before the other one. I am not on the latest BIOS version for my mobo as the PC has never had any issues in that respect. I have never done a BIOS upgrade and have heard a lot of negatives about it. Even my mobo manfacturer's BIOS update section warns against doing it unless you have a specific reason to do so. I did install Crucial's Storage Executive recently, but did nothing with it as there was a notice on that program not to do anything to the SSD unless your PC was connected to a battery backup.
If I removed the SSD in question from the SATA/Power and reconnect, might the OS recognized it then?