News Newly Uncovered AMD Radeon RX 6000 Specs Imply Significant Performance Uplift

Apr 1, 2020
In other words, AMD will only be able to compete with nVidia's mid range offering yet again, and will be significantly slower than the 3080, which means sky high GPU prices for at least another two years...

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
In other words, AMD will only be able to compete with nVidia's mid range offering yet again, and will be significantly slower than the 3080, which means sky high GPU prices for at least another two years...

Been that way for a long long time already....i think we already read that big navi price will be 499.... So we can pretty much gauge the performance.

catavalon21

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020

As a potential 3070 customer, this is fine by me. Agreed it won't help prices at the top any. I've never considered the NV x70 series "Mid range", or not lately anyway.

Of course, depending on what, if any, cards further down the stack they produce, could change terms for sure.

Last edited:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Ei
At twice the 32 bit performance of the 5700XT, if valid, they've really upped their game generation over generation

I believe it should. Big navi has double the number of stream processors (5120 vs 2560). And then AMD said it has up to 50% better performance/watt. 5700xt is between 2070 and 2080. So, big navi should be the same. And we have 499 launch price.

Reactions: artk2219

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
I think 3070/3080 price is going to kick AMD plans. With 700$ for 3080 and 500$ for 3070, AMD should have a sub price of 500$ for their graphics top of the line to be competitive. Their only chance is that NVIDIA card for mid-range are not ready yet.

I think 3070/3080 price is going to kick AMD plans. With 700$ for 3080 and 500$ for 3070, AMD should have a sub price of 500$ for their graphics top of the line to be competitive. Their only chance is that NVIDIA card for mid-range are not ready yet.
Nah, I think that top of the line with 80 CUs should be able to compete with the 3080 just fine. The 80 CU card pretty nice at 500$, but I'm pretty sure AMD is going to market the 80CU model to compete with the 3080 anyways.

Sep 11, 2020
Where did you get that idea from? TFLOPs does not indicate gaming performance. For example, Vega 64 has more TFLOPS than 5700XT. 5700XT is still faster in all games.

You only need to look at the performance of the 5700XT with less CUs and lower clocks combined with the 50% more performance per W uplift from RDNA 1 to RDNA 2to get an idea that they're heading towards 3080 territory.

For comparison, the GeForce RTX 3080 offers peak single-precision (FP32) performance of 29.8 TFLOPs. The single-precision performance for Navi 21 comes out to 22.5 TFLOPs. So far, the GeForce RTX 3080 seemingly has 32.4% higher single-precision performance than Navi 21. However, Navi 21 does pull a win over the GeForce RTX 3070, which is good for 20.4 TFLOPs.
All of this is meaningless when you consider that even the "36 Tflop" RTX 3090 performs more like a 20 Tflop Turing card in games. Nvidia made changes to their architecture with Ampere that affect FP32 compute performance resulting in those huge compute numbers, but those changes don't equate to equally-large gains in gaming performance. So, an RTX 3090 typically ends up only around 50% faster than a 13.5 Tflop 2080 Ti as far as 4K gaming performance is concerned.

Now of course, that doesn't mean the 80CU RDNA2 card will outperform a 3090, since we have no idea exactly how RDNA2's ratio of gaming to compute performance compares. As Ampere should make clear, more Tflops doesn't necessarily mean more gaming performance. At least Nvidia seems to feel it won't outperform the 3090 based on pricing, but their relatively competitive 3080 pricing indicates they feel it could be competitive with that card.

Since when is a $500+ graphics card "mid-range"? Just because niche "enthusiast" hardware becomes available at even higher price points doesn't mean that cards filling the "high-end" segment are suddenly "mid-range".

And as already stated, you can't directly compare gaming performance by Tflops alone, since different architectures can offer more or less gaming performance relative to compute performance, and that ratio changed substantially going from Turing to Ampere. If it were to remain mostly unchanged from first-generation RDNA to RDNA2 though, a 22.5 Tflop card could be right around the performance level of a 3080.

I'm skeptical at this point that AMD (or really anyone) can make a $500 card compete with the 3080 and still be on par with all of its features on top of performance. Not impossible, but not likely we'll see the high-end market price drop any time soon.

Reactions: vinay2070

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Nothing new here , AMD already said they reached 50% more performance per watt , which is exactly what the specs revealed today says.

I think there will be some 350 Watts card with 30 Tflps as well to compete against RTX 3080.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Been that way for a long long time already....i think we already read that big navi price will be 499.... So we can pretty much gauge the performance.
The rumor was that AMD dropped the target price of the 16GB big navi card from $600 to $550 after the announcement of the 3000 series. That seems like reasonable pricing if the performance falls between the 3070 and 3080 as many expect. The weaker feature set vs Ampere hurts it pricing options, but AMD added more RAM to counter balance that.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
At twice the 32 bit performance of the 5700XT, if valid, they've really upped their game generation over generation
Most of the performance gain will come from using a larger die to pack in more CU's. The 5700XT RDNA1 die is pretty small at 251mm. By comparison, Nvidia's GA102 is 628mm. AMD could double the 5700XT die and still be 20% smaller than big Ampere. TU102 that the 2080Ti used was a massive 754mm die.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Since when is a $500+ graphics card "mid-range"? Just because niche "enthusiast" hardware becomes available at even higher price points doesn't mean that cards filling the "high-end" segment are suddenly "mid-range".
That's pretty much where the market has gone. Last generation the 2080 and 2080Ti were high end, the 2060 and 2070 were mid range, and the GTX options were the low end. The products' placement in the stack determines its designation, not how many people can afford it. The Lamborghini Huracan is known as the Baby Lambo or entry level Lamborghini, even though by price alone, no one would consider that an entry level car.

Reactions: artk2219

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
The rumor was that AMD dropped the target price of the 16GB big navi card from $600 to $550 after the announcement of the 3000 series. That seems like reasonable pricing if the performance falls between the 3070 and 3080 as many expect. The weaker feature set vs Ampere hurts it pricing options, but AMD added more RAM to counter balance that.
Reasonable pricing only if they have good RT performance and have a DLSS2 alternative up thier sleeves announced during launch. VRAM does not mean much when nvidia with less vram will be giving better FPS because they have dlss enabled in supporting games. If Big navi and 3080 perform the same in raster and AMD cost 50 to 100$ less, I might pay more just for the DLSS2/RTX and buy the 3080.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Reasonable pricing only if they have good RT performance and have a DLSS2 alternative up thier sleeves announced during launch. VRAM does not mean much when nvidia with less vram will be giving better FPS because they have dlss enabled in supporting games. If Big navi and 3080 perform the same in raster and AMD cost 50 to 100$ less, I might pay more just for the DLSS2/RTX and buy the 3080.
All factually true, but that ignores marketing and the stupidity of the customer base. I'm 100% with you. I'll pay $50-100 more just for Nvidia's more consistent drivers. I'd additionally pay more for DLSS/RTX. However, every comment section for the 3080 has been carpet bombed with people swearing they'll never buy a highend card with only 10GB RAM or that DLSS and RTX are still useless. It's all over this forum that people think 10GB isn't enough for 4k gaming, even though most of them probably don't even own a 4k monitor nor will they during the lifespan of this generation. People will buy the 16GB AMD card because it has more RAM which they think will futureproof them vs the 3080.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
With the 5500XT having almost 2x less the hardware as a 5700XT, it performs as expected - about twice slower. Now what would the performance of a hypothetical 5800XT be if it had double the amount of SPs and memory b/w over the 5700XT?
This is where big navi comes into the picture. Double the amount of SP's (over the 5700XT), memory b/w is everyone's guess at this stage (I'm hoping its around 760GBps+ ) and its based on a brand new CDNA architecture. (VRS as a new feature will boost average framerates nicely). It also gets TSMC's 7nm+ node which in itself should bring a 10% IPC+ uplift as well.
So, new architecture, node change and specs may very well get their flagship into 3080 territory at a considerably better price. Better TDP's will add the cherry on the top. And suddenly, the tables are turned and it may very well be AMD that wins on the efficiency charts.
If drivers are stable enough and supply is okay, its all big navi + Zen3 for me. And both Intel/Nvidia are beaten at their primary games by a company substantially smaller.

Little David toppling 2x giants with one rock.

Reactions: gggplaya
Sep 13, 2020
So this "leak" indicates exactly what I was expecting. Big Navi is NOT the Ampere killer. It lands most likely between the 3070 and the 3080 with a price tag of 550 to 650 $ to be competitive against 3080.

You get a card with slightly less performance which you will only notice at 4k+ gaming with less power consumption and a lesser price tag. This by no means topples NVIDIA but keeps AMD in the game just like Zen3 won´t topple Intel either but it keeps them on their toes and this is good for everyone.

Reactions: javiindo

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Probably AMD has worked very hard to release this card, they were not expecting that NVIDIA is going to work so hard too xD.

MajorDuty

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Nvidia killer my keester! Amd should price their card at $400 and I will buy one if I can not get a 3080 this year. If I do purchase the amd I will most likely buy the 3080 fe for $600 when they become available or 3080ti.

So basically AMD has produced a card for people who can not currently obtain the card they really want... THE REAL SHERIFF the 3080.

Hey AMD quite talking <Mod Edit> little brother. NVIdia killer lollololooooolllloololooll

Last edited by a moderator:

InvalidError

Titan
So basically AMD has produced a card for people who can not currently obtain the card they really want... THE REAL SHERIFF the 3080.
If we define "the card people really want" in terms of highest volume sales, $300 is more like it and the 3080 isn't it. I'm ok with AMD failing to beat Nvidia at its own game as long as it still gives the mainstream significantly more performance per dollar.

This is just a leak, people need to calm down (I know is hard with he pandemic and everything thats been going on for months) and wait for the actual reviews.

If AMD can bring a nice product for less money and less power needs, it will be a good adition.
Rememnber, not everyone needs or can spend what an RTX 3080 cost.
Some people have those U$699 to build the whole system.

Sep 27, 2020
And as already stated, you can't directly compare gaming performance by Tflops alone, since different architectures can offer more or less gaming performance relative to compute performance, and that ratio changed substantially going from Turing to Ampere. If it were to remain mostly unchanged from first-generation RDNA to RDNA2 though, a 22.5 Tflop card could be right around the performance level of a 3080.

Thanks, Just registered to comment that then i saw your comment. finally someone with brain cells :D