NEWSFLASH: ILLEGAL TO RIP CDS TO COMPUTER

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Ah, but I think you're skipping over the problem: The RIAA is trying to undermine Fare Use by slipping one past the judge: Starting with the illegal file share and then hoping to bootstrap -any- copying of music to a hard drive in the judgement. Such trickery would be used to set a precident in future cases.

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
HA HA HA HA HA, nothing in my computer is legal...not the os(s), not the software, not the games....they havent caught me yet so why should i legalize my music?!? as much as ripping cds is concerned i dont do that i only use my ipod for music. Ha ha again even if they stop these big companies from doing their heinous crimes against music, theirs always those lovable hate-able 3rd party programs...theirs my 2 cents or a load of crap

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
well, if the RIAA is able to undermine far use with the help of this law suit, then even 3rd party programs would become illegal to use, and may be forced to be modified or removed.

I don't see a problem with sharing music on a home network, being that you could arguably want to be able to listen to your music anywhere in the house.

My opinion is that it should only be illegal when it's shared to someone other then the owner of the original copy/content.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The Music Companies have been robbing consumers and artists blind for years. It's finally coming around to bite them in the caboose.

In a few more years, I wager most artists will be either independent or working for "lean and mean" record companies that embrace the internet, try to make fair and modest income off the sales, and everyone will win.

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
in the last year i began ripping my legal cd's. i also began file sharing. if the riaa thinks this is whats killing them, i'll help. i want them to die. they think this will kill the music industry. it wont. it will simply force them to adjust to consumer demands. the way it should be. same with mpaa.

there will always be someone with a mic that thinks they can sing or play an instrument. but 50 and em will have to find another way out of the sewer. mabee one buisness sector will return to "do what you love and let the money come". rather than "all your media are belong to us".

same with all IP. copyrights are no longer encouraging anything. it is choking and stagnating us. look at china, toss IP out the window and watch you country prosper. i dont want to debate the lack of personal freedom. it is a simple observation. the days of college kids in a garage comming up with new tech are gone. if they tried to release it, they would be hit with multiple patent infringement suits, right out of buisness. that is, if they live in the US or country subject to copyright law[/rant]

just curious, how much of vista's code is devoted to drm? or the latest game? or any software/media?

I want to know when companies and unions will learn that you do not mess with computer users.
They have the edge in the real world, backed with billions of dollars.

But in the digital world, they're only as good as the developer under them.

I love it when people try to battle an entire arsenal that definitely don't have bigger guns (or a means of getting them) than they do.

sorry for the sarcasm.

no cd ripping? ha. make cd rippers illegal.

it'll only ensure that 1,000 new ones pop up for download every day.

Currently, the fair use policy allows the producer of the information in question, whether cd/dvd/etc... to be the one to decide the policy of their software/music/etc...

For example, Company A produces a CD. They don't care if you rip it. You can copy it unlimited times, for backup purposes and personal use.

Company B produces a CD, and they put the warning on the disc, that states "Do not lend or make illegal copies of this disk". This is where you could get into trouble for copying it, even to your HDD. You should read the fine print of the license agreement before making copies of these discs, to determine what the producer will allow.

This is because you are not technically purchasing the music/software/etc.... You are only licensing it, and your license can be revoked by the producer at any given time, for breach of contract. You have to read the fine print in legaleeze to catch that part... Thus, the producer can dictate how many copies you can make, and still be legal.

The biggest problem with all of this, is that we, as a society, have allowed companies, such as recording companies to dictate to us, the licenses that we can use. The negotiation system has been almost completely negated. These companies (AND the RIAA) want it this way. That way they can control their products. Imagine if we all said, "We won't purchase your product until you negotiate the license agreement with us!". After all, license agreements must be "agreed" upon by both sides of the issue...

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
ok, I didn’t read it but... so it is illegal for me to make a backup to my computer with the intent to never share the data and only use it for my personal use only?

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

I do not just hate Ipods, but also the company that designed them (APPLE....... I wish to never utter this name). I hate them so much they I went and bought a Zune!!!

dragabain

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
The RIAA isn't a governing body. It has no authority to say what is legal and what isn't legal. That is up to the Congress of the State the resident resides in or the United States Congress. Just because I say its illegal to look at me, doesn't mean it actually is. In case you guys missed it there is a class action lawsuit against the RIAA for what its doing. You can read about it here:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060313-6368.html

I personally don't rip music, nor do I download it. Not because I'm afraid, but because pandora radio is that awesome (IMHO of course).

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

Basically What I was going to say.

THEY ARE NOT SAYING RIPPING CDS IS ILLEGAL. THEY ARE SAYING RIPPING THEM AND THEN PUTTTING THEM IN A SHARED FOLDER IS ILLEGAL.

(I hate typing in caps but it's sometimes the only way to get people attention.)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
heres something of interest in Canada.... but it is 4 years old.

http://www.news.com/2100-1027_3-5182641.html

**edit**
Judge: File sharing legal in Canada

''The ruling affects only Canada, but it could have wider repercussions if it stands. The U.S.-based RIAA has filed hundreds of lawsuits against file swappers in hopes of lessening the amount of copyrighted material available for download through peer-to-peer networks such as Kazaa or Morpheus. ''

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
IMHO as a fmr. entertainment lawyer, it is pretty settled that this whole issue is overblown, and the RIAA was not saying that ripping your own CD is illegal (as opposed to then putting the ripped copy in Kazaa, etc.). But there are still 2 interesting points coming out of this:

1) Although the RIAA is not a governing body, they de facto have become such, because they have powerful lobbying influence, in contrast to the citizenry at large who apparently have none. Thus, it shocks me what they are able to push onto the public. (will there ever be a day when the "FBI warning" at the beginning of a movie will also include a brief statement of what your fair use rights are???)

2) Although this case is not infringing on fair use, there will come a day when the RIAA does, because a) they have no shame; and b) they have pretty much gotten what they wanted so far, why stop now...

Because... There will be little reason for citizens to keep buying music going forward. a) we can make back up copies, so we will not have to replace "worn out" copies (!) of music we already own; and b) the trend is for LOWER quality music reproduction (e.g., MP3 is lower quality than CD music). In contrast to paying more money to go up in quality (e.g., to go from tape to CD), we won't need to pay anything to go down in quality (from already owned CD to an MP3). The music industry could have delayed this inevitable for another decade or two by fully embracing high resolution audio such SACD/DVD-A and forcing us to upgrade once again. But they were too risk averse (dumb?) to even do that.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I HAD to transfer many of them to MP3 because CD's don't last forever; if they want to make it illegal to "Back-up" my music collection the music companies will have to agree to replace any CD's (free of charge) whenever they start to deteriorate, forever.

of course, i think that making backups should be fair use. having said that, the argument above isn't compelling given that media isn't warranted to last forever. further, typical lifetimes of various media are widely known. as long as the content is usable during the medium's typical lifetime, you've received what you paid for (and knew you were paying for). otherwise, i have some LPs, videotapes, photographic prints, magazines and newspapers that i want replaced for free - forever.

on the other hand, software vendors frequently replace licensed software if media becomes unusable, for not much more than the cost of new media. perhaps that should be the parallel requirement placed upon music publishers.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The best part of the article....

RIAA
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is the trade group that represents the U.S. recording industry.

They are nothing to us in Canada.

G

Ahahaaaaaa they are ignorant to the law. Ripping your own paid for music to your own computer or MP3 device is not making illegal copies. All it is doing is changing the format of the music. Making illegal copies is selling another one-to-one copy of it at a street corner or ripping it and selling it over the internet. Those who share the music over a p2p are the ones breaking the law. I guess you can look at it 2 ways is the person sharing it breaking the law or the personal downloading it for free?
Personally its both people I would guess just in different aspects/viewpoints of the law. But for this legal battle they are waging, I LAUGH !!!

chyort

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007

wrong. you are expected to re-purchase the cd every time it deteriorates... you are stealing money out of their pocket every time you backup your own music collection.
Also, if you wish to listen to your music on any other device than a cd player. you must pay for it again for what ever format you require. No Converting your music, yet again your stealing money out of their pockets!....
:pt1cable:

One of these days the RIAA is going to bite off more than it can chew. and i will be there laughing at them.

TRENDING THREADS