NEWSFLASH: ILLEGAL TO RIP CDS TO COMPUTER

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
the problem is, RIIA MPAA lawyers + stupid judges = more stupid legal abusive behavior.

remember the case where the "RAM" (as in memory)
was claimed to be "proof" by ajudge and that it shouldnt be erased? XD

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
remember the case where the "RAM" (as in memory)
was claimed to be "proof" by ajudge and that it shouldnt be erased? XD
Yeah, wasn't it an issue w/ a torrent site? Either way, that is fking retarded. He should have just brought him the RAM from the server and said "Here you go". Then the judge can take it to his tech team and they can laugh in his face.

I bet he just heard that RAM was the "Memory" of the computer. So he assumed that memory = storage. I hear this all the time from people that are not computer literate. "I bought another gig of memory because I was running out of space, but I still can't store any more files! WHAT THE F!!!!!" :sigh:

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The truth of the matter piracy has been around forever. which nerdy kid back in the 80's didn't make cassete dubs of their friends albums, create music tapes by taping the radio / other cassettes?

The only difference today is that they have a means to track it and can really see potentially how much revenue they are missing.

No matter what they do to prevent piracy there are always easy work arounds... and the locks they put on the discs just interfere make the paying public angry.

The bigger problem is none other than greed. While I don't like it when people steal my stuff either, there is little one can do about it. Suing your would be customers in court is rather stupid IMHO.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

My lint catches on fire when I OC to much... how do you keep yours cool?

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I rip all my legally bought cd's to my computer, somewhere north of 150 cd's. If you price that at a very conservative $15/CD then you have about $2,250 in cd's alone. I used to keep my cd's in my car back before mp3 players and mp3 discs on indash cd players were an affordable option for the average consumer. My car was broken into and the only thing stolen was my CD case. My Auto Insurance with one of the big 3 Ins. Co's specifically does NOT cover cd's, its written as an exclusion into the policy...so hell yes I downloaded every single one of my cd's again and hell yes I rip every single cd I buy from some overpriced vendor. The RIAA can kiss my ass

G

FYI if the car was parked at your house when it was broken into, house insurance covers those CDs

Can Not

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

Well, you don't have to rename all the file names manually for every CD if you just torrent it after you buy it instead of ripping.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Or you could use ripping software that connects to a CDDB database and does the naming for you.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
the riaa cares nothing for musicians rights.
it for lawyers and by lawyers.
they can all eat rotten fish for breakfast.
after i pee on them.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

DONT do that... he will declare war on your ass.

Can Not

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, I guess I could wait a month until the database is updated... :sarcastic:

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
yeah but they are talking about burning it for personal use, nothing illegal in that, if i own bought Mp3's online or even a cd I can burn it if I want too...

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hey guys, just had WMP delete a bunch of unauthorised MP3's that I had ripped from CDs years ago, really nice eh?? Time to move to Linux soon...

Latest posts