Next-gen MacBook/Pros on 32nm Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not take this the wrong way, but is this even "news"?

There is no links to external sources or even mention of Apple mentioning such a upgrade.

This almost belongs on the forums since its just speculation from what I see.

Linux4geeks

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
That will be awesome! I'd like to see some notebooks with core i7! What about the core i7 technology for netbooks too? Just a small version... its coming! :)

Linux4geeks

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
[citation][nom]str4ng[/nom]THG news is not a blog. This is something you'd typically see on TUAW or MacRumors or something.[/citation]
Agreed. :p It is a rumour without any form of proof.
"its highly probable" and "we are expecting..." :D

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Why don't you title this article in accordance with its speculative nature instead of "announcing" this "fact" that you just made up. At least fudzilla tends to have proper grammar and spelling.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Why would they not upgrade the processor in a next-gen Macbook? The current launch is a refresh. I want a quad core MB at 32nm with 24G of ram and a 2 TB SSD drive.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Big whoop.

Apple is going to include the first Mainstream Core i7's into a Laptop.

With Apple's tradition of jumping onto the latest bandwagon at the start of a major product transition, such as chipset or CPU
Then why did you report, just last week, that there was finally going to be a Quad-core iMac? Something that PC users have had for years.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iMac-Quad-Core-Dual-Apple,6950.html

Take your Mactard propaganda elsewhere.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
It is highly probable that Apple will base new MacBook
and MacBook Por units on 32nm Arrandale Core i7's.
Just a typo, no need to worry, just thought you might want to fix it.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]DavidGBailey[/nom]Why would they not upgrade the processor in a next-gen Macbook? The current launch is a refresh. I want a quad core MB at 32nm with 24G of ram and a 2 TB SSD drive.[/citation]
And I suppose you want 6 hours battery life with that at a $500 launch price?
Keep dreaming

Linux4geeks

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Ha ha, the 2TB SSD drive is quite a ways off as far as I can see...
Now the X58 mobo'll do 24gb ddr3, and the 32mm will probably come this year...
Don't know how soon that stuff will get into a mac though!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple never updates their product lines immediately following the release of an new Intel processor. Prices are high at launch and Apple doesn't want high prices cutting into their ridiculously high margin so they will wait until the prices drop and THEN update the chipsets.

And why in the world is this even news. Who the hell DIDN'T expect Apple to eventually update their product lines with new Intel technology??? Not news... not news at all...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Big whoop.Apple is going to include the first Mainstream Core i7's into a Laptop.Then why did you report, just last week, that there was finally going to be a Quad-core iMac? Something that PC users have had for years.http://www.tomshardware.com/news/i [...] ,6950.htmlTake your Mactard propaganda elsewhere.[/citation]

Where is this years old all-in-one Quad Core PC?

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Apple never updates their product lines immediately following the release of an new Intel processor.[/citation]
Not necessarily true. The last major update to Mac Pro was the first to get the highest-spec Penryn Xeon at its launch, and they were the only ones to have it for a while afterward. The revision of the Mac Pro practically coincided with the Penryn launch.
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Ah, crap...does this mean future macbooks will go back to integrated graphics, since its built into the CPU?[/citation]
MacBooks have always used integrated graphics. The aluminum unibody MacBooks are no different in this regard; the 9400M is an integrated chip. If you meant the MacBook Pro, then no, Apple will never release a MBP with only integrated graphics. It is also unlikely that Apple will do a 180 and go back to Intel integrated graphics for the foreseeable future due to performance and energy efficiency.
[citation][nom]str4ng[/nom]THG news is not a blog. This is something you'd typically see on TUAW or MacRumors or something.[/citation]
Not even. It would be on the forums of rumors sites, then maybe mentioned on a footnote on the front page as a rumor of questionable legitimacy. These guys eat, sleep, and breathe Mac, they know who they can trust for reliable information, and Tom's is not one of them.
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Sony's all-in-ones have quads.[/citation]
Yeah, but he was questioning "years-old," not "all-in-one quad-core". Quad-core AIO's haven't been around for very long.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]waffle911[/nom]
MacBooks have always used integrated graphics. The aluminum unibody MacBooks are no different in this regard; the 9400M is an integrated chip. If you meant the MacBook Pro, then no, Apple will never release a MBP with only integrated graphics. It is also unlikely that Apple will do a 180 and go back to Intel integrated graphics for the foreseeable future due to performance and energy efficiency.
[citation]

Sorry, i meant Intel integrated graphics.

G

Has Tom's Hardware never heard of Intel's tick-tock development cycles? When do they expect the next architectural change before the alleged die shrink to 32 nm in Q4 2009? Oh, now I've checked the web. Now I get it. The real news is that Intel is indicating that the tick-tock are soon to cross since they're making good progress with their 32 nm shrink. Then the new architecture AND the die shrink could well come at the same time in mobile chips as Tom's Hardware is predicting, which would make it highly likely that Apple adopts the chips fairly soon thereafter.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]It is highly probable that Apple will base new MacBookand MacBook Por units on 32nm Arrandale Core i7's.Just a typo, no need to worry, just thought you might want to fix it.[/citation]

Oh, and...
"For performance moade"

Spell check is a wonderful invention. :p

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Where is this years old all-in-one Quad Core PC?[/citation]
I don't remember saying anything about "all-in-one", but I'm guessing you mean the boxes that house those laptop parts, integrated graphics, and monitor in one piece. In which case build one, that's one of the benefits of PCs.

I was simply stating, I've had the option for a Quad Core since November of 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.