Next Half-Life Won't Change Gordon Freeman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
You can't change Gordon Freeman ever!

I'm Gordon Freeman.

There is a part of anyone who has played the entire half life series who is Gordon Freeman.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]You can't change Gordon Freeman ever!I'm Gordon Freeman.There is a part of anyone who has played the entire half life series who is Gordon Freeman.[/citation]That almost sounds like it could be a new "Chuck Norris" fad... :)

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
The problem with giving Freeman a personality is that it takes the player out of Freeman's shoes. Right now, Freeman can be whoever the player wants him to be, he's a blank slate so to speak. While Duke is pretty badass, and I've always enjoyed chewing bubblegum and kicking ass, I've never felt as immersed as I have in Half-Life.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
He looks like Mr Smith in the Matrix series. I can imagine him as being the instagator rather than saviour in the 3rd installment of the series... Never finished HL2 though so I dont know how it plays out

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I usually don't like it when they give protagonists voices. How about a silent, but choice based communication system, like Dragon Age.

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I think it's a good thing to leave him the way he is. It leaves you feeling more like you are Gordon and that the characters are talkin directly to you and not to another character.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
omfg thank you! I wouldn't have thought anyone would even consider changing him! let alone into one of the generic Hollywood style ****s that most dumb ass publishers think is cool these days!

I thought this would go without saying. as valve is one of the few developers still to have a brain between them.

Alex Jordan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]It would be odd if they did change that; but at the same time when people start just talking to him he doesn't really respond at all.[/citation]

As Alyx puts it, Gordon is a man of few words

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I don't want them to change Gordon...
keep him as is... if possible give him his dark toned skin again... it makes him look more fierce.
keep the crowbar
keep the NO-VOICE... he doesn't need it... he is a winner without it
long lives the-freeman

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The only developers I haven't given up on are Valve and Bioware. I'm about half way through HL2 and looking forward to episode one and two. It has been just long enough to rediscover them. They are still gorgeous graphics. I don't look forward to any changes in the "first person" attributes. Hopefully they will stick with what works.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Sometimes you don't need the guy you are controller to voice his opinion. Gathering the story from a second and third person perspective I think is one of the reasons it made Half-Life so successful in the first place. I can't think of many games that constantly left me questioning the possibilities and outcomes as each user can draw himself to his or her own conclusions.

Just keep doing what your doing Valve

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Sometimes you don't need the guy you are controller to voice his opinion. Gathering the story from a second and third person perspective I think is one of the reasons it made Half-Life so successful in the first place. I can't think of many games that constantly left me questioning the possibilities and outcomes as each user can draw himself to his or her own conclusions.Just keep doing what your doing Valve[/citation]

One that comes to mind is the first stalker game with the 7 possible outcomes and your character only talked in cut scenes and even then it wasnt much. Really made you feel like you were a part of the game.

randomizer

Champion

The odd thing is that none of the other characters seem to find it strange that he has never spoken a single word. Somehow they still know each other very well. It's something unique about the HL series, especially HL2 (since HL1 was impersonal on every level with all NPCs being generic).

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Every news article I hear about valve the more I respect them. Don't give Gordan a voice. That is what ruined Mario. Like someone else said, I am Gordan freeman. If you give him a voice I will no longer be the hero.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]qwoz[/nom]Every news article I hear about valve the more I respect them. Don't give Gordan a voice. That is what ruined Mario. Like someone else said, I am Gordan freeman. If you give him a voice I will no longer be the hero.[/citation]
they'd probably kill freeman by giving him a kermit the frog voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS