Next-Level Keycap Craftsmanship: The 'Forbidden Realm' Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinken

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
The Cyan Lake cap was already given away and there's no indication these will be offered as group buys.
Sometimes they just do that and a handful of people get a very unique keycap, while others who participate in the group buys sometimes end up with keycaps that don't come quite close to what was pictured: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6nlaod/help_i_just_got_my_oasis_cap_from_jellykey_is/

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
How hard would it be to 3D print something like this?

Obviously, you'd need a 3D printer that can automatically switch between materials (one of them being transparent). The other question would be about the resolution that 3D printers could handle.

If both of those issues can be addressed, then mass producing keycaps like this or whatever else you can imagine & model should be very doable and probably cheaper than what hand made caps cost (assuming you're willing to compromise on the materials and potential lack of uniqueness).

Another idea would be for someone to sell "make your own keycap" kits, that would include the necessary resins and molds.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
On top view, looks like a pretty old key from some other 90s model keyboard thats been dipped into muriatic acid or burned with cigarette flame lol.. :p

G

These guys have a nice [strike]scam[/strike] business model going on. How long does it take a person to make one of those? An hour? A day? The average salary in Vietnam is $6.50 a day. So they make these, sell them $60/pop, for a single key-cap, but keep the demand high by doing single runs and group buy pre-orders. They also prevent buyer remorse by packaging the single key-cap in a nice wooden box! If ever there was a Veblen good, this is it.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
They look, nice, but what's the point? I don't think it's practical to have a keyboard with landscape images in every key, unless of course, you know the location of all the keys by memory.

G

At the cost of $60/key, you're not going to do the whole keyboard. You just replace a single key, or a few, for style. Doing every key would cost you $6240 typical keyboard.

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
What's up with this Website and the Firefox Browser?

I'm using the Mobile version and can't see any Article's images (except ADs, Banner, 'Share Icons', etc.), even tried checking Desktop Mode; nothing (except the 'Magnifying Glass +' which doesn't work).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, um, relax. I'm sure enterprising folks are already hard at work on cheaper ways to make these (perhaps along the lines of one of the ideas I listed).

IMO, it's not really a scam unless they're truly mass produced and only marketed as unique, hand-made one-offs. But if people know they're getting something purely decorative and what they receive looks approximately like they expected, then how is this any worse than any other kind of art or decoration? As I'm sure you know, the sky's the limit for what you can spend on art or "designer" items.

BTW, is your pic of someone famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.