Nexus 5 Rumours Point to Better Camera But No 1080p OLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hmm, no price yet? Would be awesome to have that $300-$350 price point again, lets hope they have enough phones this time around!

slomo4sho

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]i still don't understand why people need 1080p on a device which has a screen no larger than 5"??[/citation]

That's the wonders of marketing. Sell you things you don't need/don't provide any benefit.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Finally someone not joining the 5" craze I still say anything above 4" is enough for a phone. As for the bigger battery all I can say is good hopefully the phone can last a day now. And as per usual the no SD card thing is vexing but not really a deal breaker for most at higher capacity's especially if its not sold at crApple prices. Lastly who cares if its not 1080p not like u notice on phones anyway wvga was enough already.

Now, before the videophiles complain that this isn't even close to Apple's Retina display

Obviously you haven't done the math!!! At all.
Nexus 5: 1280x720 in a 4.7" = 312.47 ppi
Apple iPhone 5: 1136x640 in a 4" = 325.97 ppi.

How is that, quote, " isn't even close to Apple's Retina display"??? Basic math tells me it would be VERY close.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
to all those complaining about screen size and resolution:
it is most likely going to be $350. if you want something bigger and better, go pay more!

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]Obviously you haven't done the math!!! At all.Nexus 5: 1280x720 in a 4.7" = 312.47 ppiApple iPhone 5: 1136x640 in a 4" = 325.97 ppi.How is that, quote, " isn't even close to Apple's Retina display"??? Basic math tells me it would be VERY close.[/citation]

If the use a 4.5 screen as noted in the article it would be even 326.36 ppi, so a whole 0.39 ppi more ;)

nexians

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
1080p just a marketing gimmick, do not see the use of such high resolution on a 5" or so devices, 720p is quite sufficient and am happy google is sticking to it, more happy since they are addressing the larger battery & decent camera!!! Nexus owners have always complained about less than average battery!! Current own a SGN and well the battery with the 2000mah is just a laughing matter!!

So google lets see what and how you improve or else its goodbye for me from the Nexus Line, and frankly speaking I do not like any phone with the custom skins eg, touchwiz, sense etc etc though they do have a lot of features that I don't use. C'mon google give us a good one;
""One phone to rule 'em all""

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]i still don't understand why people need 1080p on a device which has a screen no larger than 5"??[/citation]

Not a question of "need". Just a question of "want". You don't need a million bhp Ferrari or a Hemi V8. But you want it.

It's human nature to push the envelope and the limits of what's possible. If everybody though like you nobody would have explored the vast expanse of the space or the depths of the ocean ;) Nobody ever 'needed' to do that. It's the inherent curiosity of the human mind that made us do that. :)

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
the way i see it , its gonna be the same device as the nexus 4 same processor same screen when everyone else is moving to a15 and 1080p just feels like they are trying to raise their margins alittle

slomo4sho

Distinguished
[citation][nom]calguyhunk[/nom]Not a question of "need". Just a question of "want". You don't need a million bhp Ferrari or a Hemi V8. But you want it.It's human nature to push the envelope and the limits of what's possible. If everybody though like you nobody would have explored the vast expanse of the space or the depths of the ocean Nobody ever 'needed' to do that. It's the inherent curiosity of the human mind that made us do that.[/citation]

Its one thing to have a sports car and drive faster or speed up quicker and another to have a display resolution which provides no discernible difference in image quality. I am sorry to tell you but the picture quality is always going to be limited by the fovia.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]slomo4sho[/nom]Its one thing to have a sports car and drive faster or speed up quicker and another to have a display resolution which provides no discernible difference in image quality. I am sorry to tell you but the picture quality is always going to be limited by the fovia.[/citation]
I think higher resolution (1080p) will serve me well, especially looking at PDF files, or reviewing photos. If the screen can go even higher than 1080p on a 5" smartphone, then I'll probably need a magnifying glass at that point, and that would be when it's not that useful.

The advancement of screen resolution is not as bad as the camera's megapixel war on smartphones. Camera megapixel bragging is the stupidest thing. Also, I hope the laptops manufacturers pickup on increasing the screen resolution. Most of the laptops, especially the crappy ones on the market still uses crappy 1366*768.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Hmm, no price yet? Would be awesome to have that $300-$350 price point again, lets hope they have enough phones this time around![/citation]
I don't think they'll ever have "enough" phones, it would likely cost Google too much on the short term.

No source of any of these "rumors"? What kind of article is this?
Besides, the 3GB RAM sounds like an odd number to me, not that I would complain if such a phone would come out. The rumored specs are top, but they sound just too stretched.
Nexus 4 screen is one of the best on the market, but HTC One's and arguably SGS4's are even better. Hard to believe the manufacturer would choose not to keep up in this case.

glitch20

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Avus :

i still don't understand why people need 1080p on a device which has a screen no larger than 5"??

YEsSS exactly crazy right? If your like me who plays games on a 23 inch screen cramming 1080p reso on a 5 inch screen is weird

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]glitch20[/nom]Avus :i still don't understand why people need 1080p on a device which has a screen no larger than 5"??[/citation]
I can think of some simple reasons why people SHOULD NOT want 1080p on a 5" device:
- higher resolutions = more pixels = more IGP/CPU processing power to redraw the screen = more power drain
- smaller pixels = more overall area lost to row/column address lines = need stronger backlight/OLED drive to achieve the same brightness = more power drain
- more pixels to refresh = more power to refresh them at a given rate

So that's three simple reasons to favor not having a higher resolution than necessary when attempting to maximize battery life.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
720p would be fine at 5" = 294dpi is fine and even excellent for anything. There is no need for 1080p at that size or smaller. In fact, as pointed out, 1080p will cost battery life and performance. Stay away from 1080p at 5" and under.

I wish people would stop acting like OLED is better than LCD. It's not on a mobile device. Yeah, it has a higher contrast ratio but on a mobile device seeing the screen is more important and LCD is brighter at any given power usage and OLED simply can't get anywhere near as bright as LCD. Sure, there are some use cases where most of the screen is black where you may save some power with OLED but for typical usage LCD is better.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
720 vs 1080 unless ur blind, even on these small devices i see a difference. Stop trying to justify Googles mistake not to join the 5 inch craze. I think its a dumb move and i was waiting for this device up untill this info was leaked. I will still wait for the unveil May 1st but i will not be getting it if it is not over 400ppi.

With some people, and this includes myself, if you have to use a descriptive word between NO and DIFFERENCE then there is a difference in the 2 screens. Meaning, if there was NO DIFFERENCE between 720 and 1080 then i would agree with you but the fact stands i can see it. Say what you want and thumb down it all day but i see alot of people here that probably DONT own a 1080 phone therefore are speculating that there is "no discernable difference" between the screens.

Lastly, as we increas ppi exponentially we see less and less of a difference. But why stop because we cant see a difference now? Once we get to, lets say 4x the ppi and were at 1800ppi, i bet you will see a difference between 720 with your 300ppi and whatever 1800ppi is.... Your all just ifying this and its dumb.

5inch 1080 or gtfo

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]hotice[/nom]Sure, there are some use cases where most of the screen is black where you may save some power with OLED but for typical usage LCD is better.[/citation]
Under most circumstances, OLED is more power-efficient than WLED/RGB backlighting. A LCD always illuminates the whole screen with however as much light as the brightest pixel requires and 1/3 of the light is lost to color filters on top of the 50-100% lost in the LCD itself from light polarization and blocking... so on a white pixel, only ~16% of the backlight light gets out and the LEDs themselves are only ~15% efficient so overall LCD efficiency is only 2-3% of backlight power translating into visible light.

OLED pixels are only ~10% efficient but ~100% of generated light gets out, which makes OLED 3-4X more efficient for a white screen of same overall brightness, more if some of the screen is darker/black.

OLED's biggest problem is still blue's lifespan.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom]Lastly, as we increas ppi exponentially we see less and less of a difference.[/citation]
On the other hand, the power drain on the battery from the screen redrawing, screen refresh circuitry and RAMDAC subsystem is going to get increasingly noticeable.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
For all the haters saying you don't need 1080p. I can still see pixels on displays around 330 ppi. And I am not talking about holding it up to my eye either. So these 1080p displays are nice for me.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
As someone who wants his next phone to replace his "carry with" point-and-shoot camera, I'm really hopeful that that Nikon sensor rumors are true. Then I'll have a legitimate consideration between this and whatever Nokia is cooking up for their 920 replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.