News Nintendo forces Garry's Mod to delete 20 years of content — Garry confirms Nintendo is behind Steam Workshop purge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
stop supporting anti consumer companies, there are plenty of PS, XBOX, PC software alternatives, and SteamDeck and similar portable PC-console has made N Switch irrelevant, nostalgia is not enough to support greedy CEOs.

Reactions: Order 66
stop supporting anti consumer companies, there are plenty of PS, XBOX, PC software alternatives
none of those are consumer friendly.
nostalgia is not enough to support greedy CEOs.
now you are just saying dumb stuff.

Nintendo had THE best CEO in the console space.
The leaders will take personal pay cuts for bad choices instead of blaming others & cutting/firing people at lower end.

Iwata was ideal ceo.
Wii U failed as a product profit wise for yrs.
He took (by choice) 50% reduced salary to avoid having to layoff people.

hes no longer the ceo but trying to call nintendo greedy ceo is just wrong when they arguably best in business.

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
none of those are consumer friendly.

now you are just saying dumb stuff.

Nintendo had THE best CEO in the console space.
The leaders will take personal pay cuts for bad choices instead of blaming others & cutting/firing people at lower end.

Iwata was ideal ceo.
Wii U failed as a product profit wise for yrs.
He took (by choice) 50% reduced salary to avoid having to layoff people.

hes no longer the ceo but trying to call nintendo greedy ceo is just wrong when they arguably best in business.
PC (GOG DRM-free games, Epic free games, Amazon free games, Cheap indiegala, Humble Bundle, GMG cheap games, tons of indies), Sony (now with PC releases, safe garden for kids), XBOX (all you can eat Gamepass) are not consumer friendly? Nintendo removing Virtual console and 10 year old games at 60 USD?

Best CEO *for them* not for consumers,
Nintendo Seal fo quality? to control the Publishers and have more profits and we still got plenty of shoddy games.
wanna talk about good CEO?
Isao Okawa saved SEGA in 2001 ,"he provided over US$40 million towards Sega Enterprises, mainly to fund the Dreamcast. He forgave the debts Sega owed him and gave Sega Corporation his $695 million worth of Sega and CSK stock. As a result of this, he is remembered by some as an iconic part of Sega's history".

I always take off the rose tinted glasses when look at Nintendo, they are a company and are for profits and that's OK, just I don´t support them ( neither pirate them) I just go to another place to get my fix.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
"Nintendo has a reputation for bringing litigation to companies that it belives harm its brand."

Wouldn't that be Nintendo? With all the litigation they do I'd never touch anything Nintendo related. Kind of like how I feel about Oracle.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Threads like these always remind me how absurdly entitled “gamers” are. Everyone here is talking about how anti-consumer Nintendo is, but Garry’s Mod included actual files and assets from Nintendo games. These weren’t reproductions of intellectual property or artistic representations thereof. These were actual copy and paste jobs of literal Nintendo digital assets from Nintendo games into another game. As a software developer who both produces and consumes open source software, I would never assume I can take a closed source digital asset and use it in my work. Nintendo was absolutely in the right here.
I dispute your characterization of how Nintendo assets got into Garry's Mod. There is a line between "developer generated content" and "user generated content" that must not be blurred. I reject the opinion that developers are responsible for the mod content injected into their games via users. No one paid as part of the development of Garry's Mod ripped Nintendo assets in order to integrate them into the product -- they simply created the framework and tools that could be used to do so. Users ripped the Nintendo assets and uploaded them to a free repository (Steam Workshop).

Does Nintendo have the right to take down this content? Yes. Should they take down the content? No.

is not a company itself :|
makes you re-buy games you own even if bought digitally on their own platform. (also removes content you paid for which si arguably the MOST anti consumer action possible)

you realzie they make you buy proprietary ssd right?
Nintendo removing Virtual console
because Sony hasn't shut down the old console stores?

again Nintendo is many thigns but it is not worse tha nthe rest.
and 10 year old games at 60 USD?
again not just Nintendo.

You can find PC games and PS games that never get price cuts. (nintendo IS the most anti price cut of them but not laone and between them all their games generally have mroe play time value long term as look at mario/zelda games)

I always take off the rose tinted glasses when look at Nintendo, they are a company and are for profits and that's OK, just I don´t support them ( neither pirate them) I just go to another place to get my fix.
more like hold them in a standard apart from the rest

again you can not like Nintendo but claiming they are somehow worse than the rest in space is a plain lie.
No one paid as part of the development of Garry's Mod ripped Nintendo assets in order to integrate them into the product -- they simply created the framework and tools that could be used to do so. Users ripped the Nintendo assets and uploaded them to a free repository (Steam Workshop).
ya thats liek trying to blame a guy selling custom pc's and their users doing illegal stuff w/ em..the creator of stuff is not responsible for the way their product are used.

Thats the whole reason Emulation of games works: they are made for people to play their own stuff and while msot users will pirate stuff thats not fault of the emulators developer (its why Dolphin can't be shut down by Nintendo)

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
I don't think anyone here mentioned that Nintendo is a Japanese company and therefore has a completely different culture and therefore has a different expectation on the use of their IP materials. While I do not agree with what they are doing for many reasons, I can at the least recognize that in their culture they have a different perspective and values on the subject.
They're global and veeeery defensive. I wouldn't be surprised if they funded the first successful time machine, just to go back in time and sue the pants off of Rainbow Arts for the Great Giana Sisters.

Doom had Doom like games and clones, and created the FPS market. Civ had a few clones. GTA III and later had tons of clones, a few better than the originals. Today theyr'e open world sanbox games.
Nintendo would probably ban platform games if they could somehow prove they created them.

But on this Gary's Mod issue... they're kinda right? It's a game that lets people play with copyrighted assets. So either Facepunch pays Nintendo a King's ransom, or they get a sternly worded letter and a pistol with one bullet in it as a token of Nintendo's legal team's esteem.

Nintendo would even take down freeware. They don't even care about someone else making money off of their property. They do not want anyone using the property.
And while it's crude and stupid to stop people enjoying themselves (imagine George Lucas banning SW fans from pretend lightsaber duels), Nintendo is looking at it from a different point of view.

How people use and percieve Mario is a matter of millions and billions, and probably squintillions of dollars for Nintendo. They draw a very thick red line and stick to it.

It's unfortunate but they live off Mario. So they have to.

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
is not a company itself :|
I named several companies, where I said PC is a company?
makes you re-buy games you own even if bought digitally on their own platform. (also removes content you paid for which si arguably the MOST anti consumer action possible)
Sony reopened ps3 and vita store by popular request
you realzie they make you buy proprietary ssd right?
do you buy propietary ssd for Gamepass on PC?

because Sony hasn't shut down the old console stores?
see previous point
again Nintendo is many thigns but it is not worse tha nthe rest.
yes it is, or do we ignore when Konami had to create Ultragames brand just to publish more NES games?
again not just Nintendo.

You can find PC games and PS games that never get price cuts. (nintendo IS the most anti price cut of them but not laone and between them all their games generally have mroe play time value long term as look at mario/zelda games)
Nintendo and price cut are are the most rare ocurrence
more like hold them in a standard apart from the rest
again you can not like Nintendo but claiming they are somehow worse than the rest in space is a plain lie.
Nintendo the price friendly company?
https://www.eurogamer.net/seven-years-in-nintendo-has-no-plans-for-switch-price-drop

ya thats liek trying to blame a guy selling custom pc's and their users doing illegal stuff w/ em..the creator of stuff is not responsible for the way their product are used.
where do I supported illegal stuff?
all I said is there are other options and the competitive advantage of Nintendo is not so great as used to be: portability, kid friendly games, back library

Thats the whole reason Emulation of games works: they are made for people to play their own stuff and while msot users will pirate stuff thats not fault of the emulators developer (its why Dolphin can't be shut down by Nintendo)
I don't need to pirate or emulate, nor anyone, is a choice, I buy pixel art, spiritual successor or whatever.
I don't like Nintendo games mainly because I'm not the target market, and as a company are not better (sometimes worse) than others in the games industry, I can live without them, not that hate them but won't cheer them or defend them as you do, I call them for what they are.

Last edited:

purposelycryptic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I understand that a company legally has to defend their IP to a certain extent, or risk giving potential violators ammunition to use in court should it come to that, but, realistically, the chances of that happening are incredibly low. Destroying a lot of long-standing goodwill towards their company, just in order to have content removed that neither hurt them financially, nor the reputation of their IP, is just a stupid move.

There simply is no benefit for them in doing this, and it generates a lot of animosity towards them, something you would think they would want to avoid, given how much their other recent actions have already generated.

Apr 26, 2024
a bad hot take.

the fun thing about games are...if you dont liek them you dont have to play em.

so by your 1st statement....you think your kids are stupid? (as only reason you'd let your kids play em is if you thought they were by your own statement)

EVERY console has shovel ware & trash.

about the only console to have over 100 "good" games would likely be the nintendo handhelds (gba throguh 3ds....and original ds being the device w/ the msot)

also for something you seemingly hated...you sure spent a lot of effort to pirate stuff...

because thats Nintendo only? They all have that policy & yes, i too wish games had demos like in 90's but again..Nintendo is not the only one at fault here (and in their favor they DO offer demos for a bunch of games on e-shop)

and you just could of avoided all that hate post and just said you are a nintendo hater at start.

imagine being so unhappy in life you wish death on corporation that has literally no impact on your life...
Imagine being such a corpo bootlicker to defend Nintendo. Nintendo deserves all the hate for their anti-consumer practices.

Oct 14, 2023
The DMCA has always been a purge to user-generated content. A situation like this one, where a big corporation, in this situation Nintendo, deletes/bans or forces another corporation to delete/ban a part of user-generated content, but for the last years, this became more severe than ever. Here's a question about that: why haven't Nintendo done it before?

Exactly the same happended to RBX. For copyright reasons, approximatively 12 years of audio producing got removed in 2022, mainly the audios above 6 seconds. This put many games, my games included, into the silence, which ruined the whole platform and caused the end of carrier of many developpers.

It's true that deleting content 20 years after it's release is almost paradoxal. They could have done it before. But, all the copyright system fortificated those years, causing the old to be deleted. It's also impressive, as much for RBX as for GMOD, to see how underestimated is the past. It's largely tolerable for Garry's Mod to do it, since it's Nintendo which is behind all of this, but the way RBX is destroying the past is very scary.

Let's hope this won't touch more and more games and content. Every multiplayer sandboxes are getting crushed by those kind of things. Remember GMOD is based on a legendary game, Half-Life 2, and is the most historical multiplayer sandbox game. It has to be respected like his campaign version.

@Vikko151

Nov 14, 2023
I dispute your characterization of how Nintendo assets got into Garry's Mod. There is a line between "developer generated content" and "user generated content" that must not be blurred. I reject the opinion that developers are responsible for the mod content injected into their games via users. No one paid as part of the development of Garry's Mod ripped Nintendo assets in order to integrate them into the product -- they simply created the framework and tools that could be used to do so. Users ripped the Nintendo assets and uploaded them to a free repository (Steam Workshop).

Does Nintendo have the right to take down this content? Yes. Should they take down the content? No.
Again, you are not entitled as a gamer to upload unmodified proprietary digital assets as user content into another game. I know that ruins your fun, but that’s just the way it is. Mature adults understand that they aren’t entitled to what they want just because they want it. In addition, it’s the responsibility of any game to ensure users do not upload copyright infringing content to the platform. Garry’s Mod was clearly in the wrong and there’s really no other argument here.

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007