Nintendo's NX Console Becomes Nintendo Switch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

How is this going to destroy what they already have? Their current handhelds are several years old now. Granted the "New 3DS" is relatively new, but it is essentially the exact same as the old 3DS. Even if they dominate an area, they have to either eventually create something new or die off as newer competing devices eat into their market share. The Switch is just their next generation device that essentially replaces their existing handheld line and has home gaming aspects too.

In regards to your other post, neither Nvidia or Nintendo said that Nvidia created the API and OS. Those aspects of the console are almost certainly created by Nintendo. Nintendo has created customized APIs and OSes for its consoles at least since the Nintendo Gamecube. Nvidia has had a hand in the development of APIs, but it has never created as OS from scratch. The OS used on its Shield devices is forked from Android. Given this information, why would you assume that Nintendo paid Nvidia to create the API and OS? Nvidia may have had a hand in it, developing drivers and software to support its hardware, but Nintendo almost certainly did the bulk of this work.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I hope they go with a non proprietary charger such as USB type C. That will open up some possibilities too for external storage and using external batteries. Obviously Nintendo isn't concerned with having more tflops than the competition. I'm a little shocked it isn't a traditional console, but OK with it. Another thing is cost. They could sell the dock separately to keep the system under $300.

metathias

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Sigh. Now the wait for their next console. I cant believe after the failure that was the WII U that Nintendo is trying this again. Hopefully when this one flops they will finally learn to stop putting out this pseudo mobile hardware. Their trying to give the best of both worlds. Unfortunately their delivering just the opposite.

so its a Nintendo tablet with a dock essentially........ what a complete disappointment. They may as well give up and just make games for other hardware. I mean, I'll still wait for proper reviews first, but this hybrid idea seems stupid. It should just be a normal stand-alone console that can stream to an optional android/apple tablet device if you wanted to, not that i think anyone would want to,

Years ago I was a nintendo fanboy...
Today I don't have their console and didn't even know they were making this new one.

I give them credit for coming up with a decent idea. This is the first design in many years that I'm not thinking this was a terrible idea.

Combine that idea with even better hardware and VR (in the future) and then you'd really have a good console.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED

their concept of innovation has been very strange lately, trying to do a lot with very little sounds good but is not working as expected so bring a console that is not a console to carry it with you, is placing another device to compete with their current line of mobile devices, i guess that is the same thing intel is doing, compete against their own products in their own segment, since sony hasn't released a succesful device on that market latelly, perhaps is what you say, join both platforms or one replaces the other, perhaps something else comes from this, or perhaps joins the wii u in their quick end

about the os design, cpu, gpu and api, it is what i think, nintendo didn't had the time they wanted to make a new console as they did in the past with previous models and most times they make their own designs or as in the case of previous consoles, ask to amd/ati to do the gpus following their specs, but the api sounds a step beyond that logic, and since the api is new, other parts can be too, with time limitation, that for me means a deeper collaboration, to give it a name to the situation, of course, we might never know about this so in the end it probably doesn't matter, only to those of us who put attention into details, on how nvidia efforts affect a console, similar ot how ps3 went, with a very slow start and with all kind of criticist thanks to the cpu, gpu, ram usage and all other details that affected the console and its solw start and somewhat bad results in general

after watching the video of the console a couple of times, that thing looks weird, and the tablet should have a nice nintendo logo and different colors, perhaps a more matte fininsh on the screen because play outside with a 7 inch tablet trying to finish a great game is the same as those laptops with glossy screens, you see yourself in that mirror and can't do much, if that is a standrd touch screen, might not be possible to make it differnet, but it will require a screen capable of higher bightness than most devices around, meaning less battery life

one of the non nintendo games showed on the video was elder scrols skyrim, looks like the original version released back in 2011 for ps3 and pc, weird to use that game this year to promote a new console, even with the improvements made on the image quality on that old game

perhaps is a attempt ot show that gpu is very strong in this portable console, perhaps is what is the best it can do and will point to the limit of the console in that aspect

i see in general more reasons to be concerned about the future of the console than reasons to be excited for the future release and impact on the market of this console/tablet with lots of probably expensive accesories

anyway, this is the internet, even on a respectable forum as this one, i can say alot and have nothing more than experience with previous platforms and a incredible ammount of criticism about something that we havent used yet

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED

that console was innovative and weird, weird in a good way but it wasn't a console meant for for people like me, who sit and relax while playing long games, like skyrim, or gta v just to mention some

that console required a different controller than the one it came with the console to play this way and there wasn't those games on that console to justify another control, only their games under their conditions

that was well received after the not that popular but very good gamecube console

it was a interesting offer but ended abandoned by most users after a year, perhaps sooner, i have seen some second hand wii consoles that are practically like new for 50 dolars with games, probably the owner got bored of wii fit or wii bowling and console ended up stored and now on sale for anyonewho want to play a specific mario, zelda or metroid on that console

compared to my ps3, i play alot, have around 20 games and use it alot as is very good for most netflix and youtube sessions and don't see it abandoned soon, perhaps when it dies in some years i might move to a new platform for a similar gaming experience

perhaps this tablet can have some of that gaming and multimedia experience, no bluray on the horizon for it it seems

i have a bluray drive on my ps3 and haven't used it in perhaps 2 years, only for game discs, so this usage can be forgotten by a considerable ammount of users, so a very understandable choice, unless they put a bluray drive on the dock to make it more interesting to those who use blurays thanks to internet limitations or enjoy watching movies on that format

their offer is on the go, so no motion detecion peripherals like old wii or xbox, that is not interesting at the moment it seems, perhaps it has a camera and can do some facial detection, gestures with hands, nothing like that was mentioned or seems to have any interest on the public

one thing that seems completelly impossible is vr on that console, for me, it sounds like a good decision, vr seems too expensive and still a technology in development, not something for everyone yet i think

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

In games besides cell shaded, low poly type models? Mario [insert remaining title here], Splatoon, Zelda, Smash etc... do not qualify as next gen titles to me. I have cell phone games that look the same and run the same. If it can pull skyrim remastered at 1080p/60 ultra then color me impressed.

I am talking about games with detail like last of us, gears of war, halo, uncharted, battlefield and so on. In the end, i suppose the first party titles just don't fit for me anymore and so this system just won't market well with me. I wish them luck still. Always like competition to drive prices down on other platforms.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED

yes, they are not aiming at every gamer, it is a specific market they are aiming

not everybody wants to play that type of AAA games, so the list of great nintendo games is their strong point but a enormous gameboy/3ds running old skyrim, not the new nicer one, won't catch much attention i think

have a limmited but very good list of games is a advantage, but some would like to play dying light, or battlefield 1 in it, but seems not possible with what they offer, anyway, i expect to play officially nintendo games on my android soon

pizzacheeks

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I remember hearing a rumor a while back that said there was going 2 parts to the (then codename NX) and that only one is coming out first. I wonder if later they are going to release a supplementary computing dock that will beef up the power the console has and if so I think they are more concerned about their at home to portable game play right now then power. That probably why so many developer on board even though look like it is underpowered compared to the neo and scorpion

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
after a few reads it looks like battery life will suck,
no touch screen,
main controller is simply too small,
nvidia seem like a bad choice really bad,

either you extend the wii u or 3ds to be successful not hybrid that confuse gamers

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
If the tablet portion functions well as a standalone, general purpose device, they may get a sale from me. I really like 7-8" tablets, and there hasn't been anything interesting in that segment since the Shield.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I like its design, but it remains to be seen how viable it is, especially with battery life applying to at least half of the equation. If they can exceed expectations on that and deliver interesting software, then consider me interesting in Nintendo for the first time since N64.

I can't begin to understand why you think nvidia is a bad choice? they have the most efficient performance GPU's on the market. Its probably the absolute best choice for this form factor. But i agree with everything else you said. Touch screen doesn't bother me, I would prefer no screen at all. All the screen will do is add to cost. If they cut it down to a bare bones console functionality that was half the price of the others that would actually make it sell. I wont buy an xbox one or ps4 as i already have a gaming pc and the games are pretty much the same. Nintendo at least releases much different types of games than are on other platforms.

I'm not so sure how well this tablet idea will go either. It's gotta be really good if they want it to go far. The Wii U, remember, had the tablet approach and that didn't help sales. The only difference in this one is you don't need to be within range of the console, instead you can go anywhere since the tablet is doing the processing. But whether this technology will be popular or not is yet to be seen. Nintendo seems to be an "every other time" company when it comes to consoles, success, failure, success, failure. Let's hope this is successful.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, the tablet approach itself wasn't such a bad idea. The bad idea was insisting it be used as a second screen. Nintendo looked at the DS and thought "Gamers want two screens!", which turns out to have not translated well to couch gaming. Now, instead of a second screen, it's just another choice of screen to be playing on. And that should prove a lot more palatable by the consumers.

That's a fair point. But i think the screen/tablet should be optional so i don't have to pay for it to get the console. If this thing costs as much, or more, than the current ps4 or xbox one, and under-performs them, then I'll pass.

And quite frankly, I am going to pass if the console can not render all its games at 1080p. This should be a bare minimum standard, it's not hard to achieve! I don't want to see jagged edges all over my TV screen. Companies seem to be dead set on trying to cram more details into the games on consoles than the resolution can support. I'd rather just have full 1080p and turn down the detail settings to run smooth at that resolution, than to have extra details that aren't noticeable because your running at some crippled resolution.

just because MS and Sony did not use nvidia hardware then nvidia hardware is garbage. we will not see nvidia dominating discrete gpu market if that's the case. the choice to go with nvidia most likely have to do with their "on the go" concept. right now AMD does not have anything that can compete with nvidia in that space.

i think Nintendo is very clear about not wanting to enter spec war with MS and Sony. hence they never talk about 4k gaming and such.

shield was always a concept to show what nvidia tegra capable of doing. what nvidia want the most is design win for their tegra SoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.