Nintendo's NX Console Becomes Nintendo Switch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

most people assume nvidia=expensive. that's not necessarily the case. nvidia most often will compete on pricing if there is a need to. in android world nvidia did try competing with cheaper price. they were the one proposing high end performance on cheap tablet (which end up being the first nexus 7). and right now if you want cheap android tablet with good performance their shield tablet is the best.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Pascal with 16nm should have no problem with 1080p with pretty great graphics. X1 was already far faster than xbox360/ps3. I'm guessing GDDR5x or something also, or at least something faster than what is now in xbox1/ps4. The idea this chip is expensive is just silly. The HUGE chips in xbox1/ps4 are $100 and $115 with AMD making about 10-15% on them. That is not cheap. Socs however, from NV and everyone else are $25-40. T4 went for $25-30 as shown in xiaomi docs with actual build costs. Even they only paid $28 and they are much smaller than MS/Google who reportedly paid $20-25 for the previous versions. Knowing the power drop with pascal over the already impressive maxwell, this should have some decent battery life.

What may make it interesting to many users, is if they include streaming from NV gpus. Don't forget NV owns 75-80% of the market here. They would lose me as a potential buyer without that. If I can't stream my PC gpu to it, I'll wait for NV's update to shield tv which should be awesome with GDDR5x and hopefully they'll aim it at 100+watts this time! I'm in if they aim for xbox1/ps4 wattage. Shield TV is already impressive, but I want 100w and dual chips like xbox1/ps4 (or at least far larger custom gpu side), for a serious android vulkan box. Streaming my next gpu to it is icing on the cake, which unless Vega is awesome, will likely be NV top end. I'd have no problem with $300-350 if NV did this but would not pay that for another 25w box (go big or go home). 2x 16nm pascal socs+SSD+GDDR5x+gpu streaming and a slot for a 2nd HD would be sweet.

I'd also like to see android games work on Nintendo's box, or again, probably a pass for me. Since it has tegra, not sure why they can't adapt it for android/vulkan etc. Android has a pretty massive library of great games I already want to play and growing longer all the time. Because mobile has had limited power, the are a lot of games where they really concentrated on the FUN part. That part is missing in many PC games these days that just seem to throw graphics at the game but forget to make it fun also. If it's fun people buy it, period. If the games are $30 rather than current consoles $60 they'll also sell well, and to a much larger audience. I don't know many people that have more than a dozen xbox360/ps4 games (myself included) if they also have a PC.

Nintendo DS sold 155mil units. That is more than double PS4/Xbox1 combined. Your game can be $30 bucks and still make a killing. With xbox1/ps4 you have to make two versions of your game to get less than 1/2 the audience of a DS. If this thing sells 100mil+, or even the 60mil of 3DS (again, equaling combined ps4/xbox1 sales), devs will pretty much flock to it. This is much more capable than 3ds/vita (portable and great vid streamer, tv console etc this time), so I'd expect sales to beat those combined (about 73mil) over it's life, since it appeals to both tv people and mobile. Of course if it's price is $350, nobody will bite...LOL. I'm guessing $250 or less though with xbox1 S being $299 and more powerful. Though the multi-purpose stuff might be worth $300 to some I guess but at that price it had better stream PC gpus too. NV would be silly to not allow that if they want tegra to really take off finally (aside from cars that is).

It'll definitely be 1080p, the Wii U already supports 1080p (it did have 720p games also) but I'm 99% confident it'll be 1080p. Especially since that seems to be the native resolution of the tablet, versus the 480p resolution of the Wii U Gamepad. But Nintendo doesn't need to rely on great graphics anyway, just look at the Wii. They just need to make something that will be good.

I'm curious, what if there was some sort of additional battery pack that is optional and will snap onto the tablet to give it like 3X better battery life on-the-go? That may work. I'm also questioning how it's backwards compatible with the Wii U if it's not a touch screen because those games that were shown were mostly Wii U games. Mario Kart 8, Splatoon.

The Mario game that will be released with the console unfortunately looks like a more generic level-based Mario game like Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World. While Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U was actually a fantastic game with so much content, I'd like Nintendo to go back to more original Mario games like Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, or even on the Luigi side with a Luigi's Mansion 3. And an Animal Crossing we have to see, Wii U didn't get an Animal Crossing.

Ahh so I think I just got news on this from another forum. Even though a lot of Wii U games were showcased in the video, they're not backwards compatible. It means simply some Wii U games are going to be remastered and released with the NX. So expect Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and possibly other Wii U games to come to the Nintendo NX.

This cannot be confirmed at this time. Nintendo hasn't released that information, so it is pure speculation at this time. All we know about the internal hardware is that there is a customized Tegra SoC with a Pascal based GPU. Neither company discussed the CPU, so it is possible that it is either an ARM processor or an IBM CPU. Both are technically possible. If it is an IBM core, it could easily be made backwards compatible with Wii U games with a minor software update.

Even if it isn't compatible on a hardware level, they could also add backwards compatibility with software. Microsoft did this with Xbox and Xbox 360, which i why Xbox games need a sizable update to run on the 360. The point is, there isn't enough information at this time and it is impossible to say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.