Ninth Foxconn Worker of 2010 Commits Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I don't mean to sound harsh, but given the national average, nine is not bad. We are a little over %39 of the way through the year. Assuming the plant employs 300k people, we would expect 27 suicides at this point.

So, I guess I am wondering why this is news. When I first read the headline, I assumed that nine suicides was abnormally high. If it were high, I would take that into consideration next time I was shopping for some computer component. I think that the headline may be unfair to Foxconn as it seems to imply something is amiss.

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for the reminder soo-nah-mee, I almost forgot to blame the liberals for driving 300,000 jobs overseas. (It should go without saying, but I am being sarcastic)

etrom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Way to go, China! Keep your annual GDP growth close to 10% while lack education, health and proper work conditions for citzens.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
nice to know that my electronics are literally made from sweat, tears and blood...

hope there are no spirits of disgruntled workers in my Zune and Xbox 360...

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]nice to know that my electronics are literally made from sweat, tears and blood...hope there are no spirits of disgruntled workers in my Zune and Xbox 360...[/citation]
No, they're in your iPhone instead.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Has anyone considered putting up a fence or wall or something else to prevent all of these people from jumping? Seriously don't make it so dang easy for people to just go jump, make them work for it and maybe during the time it takes them to make it up there they'll change their minds.

Also how dedicated of employee must he have been, at least he finished his shift. I would have done it BEFORE work not after.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow. Did not know that Foxconn employed 300,000 factory workers. This all goes back to poor working conditions, long hours, intense pressure to meet deadlines, and low pay. The article I read referenced a pay rate of $130 (US) a month and a work schedule that allotted little time for anything but work and sleep. It was depressing reading it.

Very sad.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]No, they're in your iPhone instead.[/citation]

Do you think Foxconn only produces Apple products?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Instead of hiring exorcists and other foolish "professions" how about improving the living conditions of the employees? It's not like they can't afford to make improvements. Of course this isn't going to happen if anyone recalls the first suicide that was reported on it was after they detained tortured one of their employees who later took his life after.

I'm not going to buy anymore Foxconn products or anything they are linked to like the iPhone.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
14 yrs ago when I was in the 8th grade(so you will have to excuse my recollection). My class had a visit from some friends of the teacher who were from China and we got to ask them questions. I asked what the suicide rate was for school age students. She said, that it was extremely high because of all the social pressure to perform at a high rate. But that their society looks down on sharing that.
I imagine that the social pressure could only be that much higher 14yrs later.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Suicide rates for China put the average number of suicides per 100,000 at 23
So assuming the law of averages is working with 300,000 people on site we should expect 69 people to commit suicide in 2010.
At the end of 5 months, we should have had at least 28 by now.
We have had 9.
Suicide rates are less than a third of the national average, the only reason this seems like a large figure is that they all work at the same company, but try to get this in your heads - this factory has more people working in it than the City of Coventry in the UK.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The mismanagement of the liberal media has put a spotlight on a company that should be commended for suicide prevention. They are far below national statistics on suicides per capita. Its just being used as a method to demigog the low regulation electronic industry. However, bringing them the conservative principle of god into their lives should reduce these incredible numbers further.

G

Maybe that's the angry china spirits causing all the RROD in the Xbox 360's.

[citation][nom]bollwerk[/nom]Are they not allowed to just quit and find another job?[/citation]

Its China FFS, people over there don't have much of a choice and its getting like that else ware. To quite or lose your job means homelessness and starvation. I am done explaining how things are to these dogooder yuppies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]There are 300,000 people working at this factory? Only in China I guess . . .[/citation]
There are about 240,000 working in that plant. They work 12-hour shifts with only 2 breaks for meals. They typically work 6 - 7 days per week. They live onsite since it is not practical for them to come and go. Generally, they will only work a couple of years and then return home. It's a pretty brutal living; but we too had our industrial boom.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]There are 300,000 people working at this factory? Only in China I guess . . .[/citation]

No shiiii...

t. 300,000 employees for one company in one country would be unheard of anywhere else in the world (except maybe India.) To anyone who thinks these jobs were "lost" in the US: they never existed here at any time in the country's history. They exist because laborers earn a tiny fraction of even the average Chinese wage, which is itself very low. You can hire 3 professionals in China for the cost of one in the US; at this exchange rate it's still profitable to have some work done in the US. When you can hire 20 or 30 factory workers for what one worker in the US would demand for the privilege of showing up every day and doing their job competently without stealing, slacking off, or otherwise running costs up, it's not even worth thinking about employing them in the US.

If you want to get an idea of what sort of stuff goes on in China and other places, you need to watch "Manufactured Landscapes", a documentary by Edward Burtynsky. It's *extremely* eye opening if you are interested at all in what the global consumer goods market looks like from the supply side.

Status
Not open for further replies.