[SOLVED] No AMD graphics driver is installed

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
Haven't made any hardware changes, and I don't think I got hit with a weird Windows update. But overnight, I started getting an error message:

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware.

It pops up on startup, and also if I try to run the AMD settings application.

If I look in Device Manager, I see Radeon RX 580 Series and Standard VGA Graphics Adapter under Display Adapters. I did a little reading, and uninstalled the RX580 driver. Went into safe mode and ran DDU to clean it out, then reinstalled the most recent stable AMD driver. No dice. In Device Manager, I do not have any yellow flags (except for one, on High Definition Audio Device?). I have tried uninstalling the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, but that does not seem to do anything.

I will also now occasionally get popups: Radeon Software: Failed to create OpenGL context for format//QSurfaceFormat(version 3.0, options...
and another if I try to launch software that would normally require my graphics card that reads: Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings. (I can post the full text of these error messages if I need to...I think they are symptoms of a cause though)

I am running out of ideas. I am running with ASUS Prime Z370-P, Radeon RX580, Windows 7 HP64x. Short of pulling out the graphics card and throwing it at an innocent bystander, anything else I should try? All I can find online is the recommendation to run DDU and reinstall, but I have done that several times now to no avail.

Edit: I should note, I tried to do a system restore, but I was only able to go back about a week. This problem has been occupying me for about...a week and a half. So that did not help.

The actual graphics card itself has power, because its fans are running. However, if I connect it to my monitor by the DVI or the HDMI, I get nothing.

Last edited:
Solution
That's truly wild. I did not know that. When I had the unit removed from my computer I'd get messages about "hardware acceleration not available" when I'd try to run certain programmes that utilised even a very basic amount of video, and so I definitely assumed that I had been making use of my GPU, even when I was running my DVI cable through the motherboard (which I would do sometimes, but not always, so I don't feel like an entire moron). Thanks for the advice.

Depends what you're using it for. If you're plugged into your motherboard -- without some minors Windows hacking -- you're seeing an image from the integrated graphics. There are hardware activities that can be done on a GPU that's connected but not being...

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
When the monitor is connected to the GPU either by HDMI or DVI I get nothing.
PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 220-G2-0550-Y1 550W
I have been running the setup without hardware changes for nearly three years, so while I'd love to be shown I'm wrong, I can't think that the PSU is the problem. Or...?

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
Thought you had it there for a second. I had thought, if the PCI slot is bad, why would it be showing up at all in Device Manager?? and so I didn't do it.

Switched to the other slot, and I got a small pack of Driver Installation notifications, all of which let me back to the same situation as above.

I don't have access to another PC in which to try this card, unfortunately. I'm going to leave it in this second slot just in case and try the same litany of Safe Mode/uninstall/clean/disconnect internet/reinstall AMD's driver.

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
Hi everyone. Thanks very much for your help. Thought I'd report back, in case someone is googling this same issue in the future. Although I was unable to find another machine to test the graphics card in, I sent it back to AMD for servicing. They replied back that they had found and repaired "a hardware fault", although they would not be more specific. I received it back, and as soon as it booted up it searched for and installed what Windows thought were the best drivers. I ran AMD's driver installation package on top of that, and after restarting everything seems* to be working. I say "seems" because I initially received the same "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly..." error when I tried to run AMD's reporting software. However, I received signal when I ran my monitor through the GPU, and things seem to be functioning correctly.

Top marks for AMD's fast response (the unit was two years and eight months into its factory warranty) and fingers crossed that whatever repair they performed holds up.

Reactions: rgd1101

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi everyone. Thanks very much for your help. Thought I'd report back, in case someone is googling this same issue in the future. Although I was unable to find another machine to test the graphics card in, I sent it back to AMD for servicing. They replied back that they had found and repaired "a hardware fault", although they would not be more specific. I received it back, and as soon as it booted up it searched for and installed what Windows thought were the best drivers. I ran AMD's driver installation package on top of that, and after restarting everything seems* to be working. I say "seems" because I initially received the same "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly..." error when I tried to run AMD's reporting software. However, I received signal when I ran my monitor through the GPU, and things seem to be functioning correctly.

Top marks for AMD's fast response (the unit was two years and eight months into its factory warranty) and fingers crossed that whatever repair they performed holds up.

Make sure to only run through the GPU. If you were running it through your motherboard this whole time, you weren't actually using the GPU.

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
Make sure to only run through the GPU. If you were running it through your motherboard this whole time, you weren't actually using the GPU.
That's truly wild. I did not know that. When I had the unit removed from my computer I'd get messages about "hardware acceleration not available" when I'd try to run certain programmes that utilised even a very basic amount of video, and so I definitely assumed that I had been making use of my GPU, even when I was running my DVI cable through the motherboard (which I would do sometimes, but not always, so I don't feel like an entire moron). Thanks for the advice.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Depends what you're using it for. If you're plugged into your motherboard -- without some minors Windows hacking -- you're seeing an image from the integrated graphics. There are hardware activities that can be done on a GPU that's connected but not being used as the display.

Solution