No audio device installed after front audio panel installation

Terminal88

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
I need a little help with this head scratcher. I have an Intel DX58SO board with onboard audio. I needed a front panel jack for my headphones. Shutdown, power cord pulled, installed the audio HD plug on the board and powered again. I got an error, saying that there's now audio device installed. I removed the panel from the board, booted and still dont have audio. I tried rebooting, clearing cmos, upgrading the bios, installing legacy drivers and still cant have audio. Could i have burned my onboard audio card?

Thanks in advance

capt_haddock_18

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Hi,
Funny coincidence, I just had the same issue just yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you but wanted to see if you were able to solve it.
I have Windows 8.1 update 1 installed on the machine. My speakers were working fine till I plugged in my headphones in the front. Once I plugged them in, lost audio for my speakers as well. I read on forums that the motherboard detects the hd audio and makes it the default audio and switches off the motherboard audio. I tried to get back to factory settings by trying several things. I updated the firmware on the motherboard, reinstalled windows from scratch as well. I have High Definition Audio Device installed by windows but don't have Realtek audio device. I tried installing the drivers provided by Intel website for the motherboard. There was one for windows 7 and one for windows 8. I installed both but they don't get detected by windows. If I force installation through "Add Legacy Hardware" in Device driver, it adds the windows 7 driver ok but it says it has an issue and shows me yellow bang. If I try the same for the windows 8 driver it blue screens my computer. If I use windows update and update the driver in device manager, it goes into a permanent blue screen cycle and I had to restore my computer to an earlier good state.
Thanks.

Terminal88

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Until someone proves it wrong, i believe my the onboard audio burned up. Nothing justifies otherwise since the bios was flashed, os was re-installed and drivers freshly installed. I ended up buying a pci-e sound card. =\