[SOLVED] No Audio - No Joy

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Audio problem with my new build.

Hopefully just something I'm overlooking...

I've tried Headphones (via a splitter since they come with a combo mic/audio plug) in both the external and rear panels. I've also tried speakers plugged into both jacks... No joy. Both the headphones and speakers work on my Mac. But no sound on the PC.

I followed the self test and replaced the audio drivers.

Side note, Windows 10 seems to think my monitor has speakers, it does not.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Progress made...

I upgraded the BIOS via MSI's Dragon Center software. It seems to have taken care of the issue with using the audio ports on the motherboard.

First time to do something like this. All went smoothly, however I was not comfortable doing the operation. (It was an alien experience for this Mac guy). Every time I successfully accomplish something like this, I feel a little less intimated by the Wacky World of Windows.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Go into your sound settings and change the output from the HDMI to your "digital audio"?

If it thinks the monitor has speakers it's sending sound to it.
Generally speaking though, in spite of that, you should have sound when plugging into the front audio port as it will think you are on headphones.

What are your build specs, please?

Reactions: dudio

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Go into your sound settings and change the output from the HDMI to your "digital audio"?

If it thinks the monitor has speakers it's sending sound to it.
Generally speaking though, in spite of that, you should have sound when plugging into the front audio port as it will think you are on headphones.

What are your build specs, please?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard - MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow White
PSU - Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold

GPU - SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 550 (temp, till better days)
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz

M.2 Drive - Samsung (MZ-V8V1T0B/AM) 980 SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
AIO Cooler - ID-COOLING Iceflow 240, Snow, RGB
Case Fans - ID-COOLING XF-12025-ARGB-TRIO 120mm Snow, 6 fans
Primary Monitor - LG 27UL500-W 27-Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS

Speakers - harman/kardon HK206

Was set to "digital audio", unfortunately.

I also checked the BIOS, the motherboard's on-board audio was enabled.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Did you install Nahimic?

My z590i Unify would absolutely not output sound after installing this. I tried 50 different ways about it and had to do a complete reinstall of Windows to wipe it out and get the "stock Windows" driver to operate correctly.
It is included on that USB of drivers that came with your mobo. If you went auto run I would bet it's your issue.

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
I ran a search for Nahimic and nothing comes up.

My motherboard didn't come with a USB, I downloaded drives from the net.

I'm not following "If you went auto run I would bet it's your issue". (I'm very new to Windows 10). What do you want me to do?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I ran a search for Nahimic and nothing comes up.

My motherboard didn't come with a USB, I downloaded drives from the net.

I'm not following "If you went auto run I would bet it's your issue". (I'm very new to Windows 10). What do you want me to do?

In regard to the USB I was talking about. I figured it would have been standard fare for this level of motherboard. It had an auto run installer that did all the factory available drivers and programs. I messed up the first (and second) time not realizing that program was there and what it would do.

I wish I had some better suggestion for you. I know this is very frustrating.

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
It is frustrating. Everything else is working great.

My second monitor arrived today. I'll hook it up this evening. It has a speaker jack. That will at least allow sound through the GPU. I'll still need to work out the issue with the mobo even if I get sound from the monitor.

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Progress made...

I upgraded the BIOS via MSI's Dragon Center software. It seems to have taken care of the issue with using the audio ports on the motherboard.

First time to do something like this. All went smoothly, however I was not comfortable doing the operation. (It was an alien experience for this Mac guy). Every time I successfully accomplish something like this, I feel a little less intimated by the Wacky World of Windows.

Solution