No Bioshock for X800/850 owners? Wait a min...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cleeve

Illustrious

Well, I guess we can both agree on the whining part. I suspect we'll disagree as far as who the whiners are though. :D

My response to this thread would be that the real-world visual difference in capability between SM 2.0 and SM 3.0 is miniscule. Bioshock could have had a shader model 2.0 path, and no-one would have noticed the difference.

With this info in mind, why not support SM 2.0? It doesn't make sense not to if it can deliver a near-identical user experience, especially with the large user base of DX9 cards.

Since SM 2.0 is still relatively powerful, it seems like it's omission is more of a political decision to me, and that's troubling. For some reason, the developer needlessly made the call that a huge chunk of the game playing population should have to spend more cash to upgrade their hardware for no good reason. Hell, the Unreal3 engine the game is based on even supports SM 2.0. So why choose to omit it?

It's an interesting question and if you think about it, a little disturbing when you realize that no developer would CHOOSE to limit their buying audience unless they had a good reason to do so. Who would gain from such a decision? Politics...

Certainly nothing wriong with people voicing their opinions about this without being called whiners. If you'd prefer to swallow anything they dish out without question, more power to you. But whining at people for voicing their opinions without blindly buying hardware like lemmings might not be the best course if you don't want to be ridiculed. :sol:

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

If "upgrading" so important to you WTF aren't you on every AGP thread out there ragging on users to "upgrade"? Why are you trolling this one?

Get to work.

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
His foot in his mouth would feel about like my foot would in his butt if he said that around me. The x800 is a great card...so great that when the fan on mine died, I superglued an intel heatsink fan onto it, and continue running it to this day. I do feel the need to upgrade, but the sad fact is that the "getting a life" part applies more to you, annisman, than me.

See, my girlfriend and work-in-progress degree are what we like to call a "life."

Not bragging about my hardware.

Anyway, awesome to see that the card may enable me to enjoy Bioshock before my upcoming upgrade. Just curious, though...am I going to have to uninstall the game after my upgrade to an S.M.3/4 card?

jjburnell

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
my rig amd opteron 2.2ghzupgradible
ati radeon x800gto2 limited edition 256mb pcie.ordered a ati 1950 pro
3 hardrives 500 gig in total
1 gig of corsair.bought a stick of ram today.gave me wrong ram.oh well ill take it back...550wpsu...gigabyte nforce 4 ultra motherboard..also i downloaded the bioshock shader patch its not perfect but its playible
i got it at gamespot..by the way you have 2 register 2 get the patch..
game runs fine with the patch on my x800gto2 ...i just played it for about 2 hours....great card i have in my machine...pitty i have 2 upgrade it...i hope the ati 1950pro is as good

nucleus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

great that you like the patch
you will enjoy that 1950pro even more cheers

jjburnell

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
can anyone tell me whats the highest res ill get on the ati x800gto2
i always stick by the res the games choose...and im useing a standard monitor

jjburnell

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
i bought a xfx geforce 8600gt 2 run bioshock damm this card sucks
big time...so i took it back and ordered the ati 1950pro...my ati x800gt02
seemed 2 run bioshock well faster with the shader patch 2 patch

nucleus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

these things are considerably faster and scale well with cpu frequnices pardon my spelling it is bad at its best :D
lets see 12 pipes core 575 memory 1380

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I gotta go with the annoying lil kid on this one.
Upgrade or STFU about it. Why on earth would you want to take one of the greatest games ever made, and then graphically downgrade it to the point that it no longer resembles itself?

Perhaps you college kids should buy x360's until you graduate and have a real job. Then jump back into the bigboy world of up-to-date computer gaming hardware.

And, honestly, the x360 version of this game looks just as good as the PC version. That's a testament to this little white box's power. Most impressive.

cleeve

Illustrious

you totally miss the point, dude. nobody wants to graphically downgrade it at all, that's the opp9osite of what fol;ks here are asking for.

All they want is support for SM 2.0, which is certainly graphically capable of recreating the current Bioshock Dx9 experience... why pay for an unecessary upgrade?

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

I have to agree; that's just a pathetic misread of the intent of this thread.

If the X800/850 can play this game there's no sound reason to deny it support.

Nobody is asking 2K to recode the game.

jjburnell

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
iceman sorry what is cool and quite....im useing a gig of corsair ram
dont know if that helps...i got a gigabyte tune program 2 overclock with the mobo on disk most i got was 2368ghz then programs kept closeing them selfs.....what part in the bious is cool and quiet in

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

I would have to agree that SM 2.0 have subtle graphical differences, but performance is one ground that is really beneficial for SM 3.0.
-I think they chose SM 3.0, based only on the assumption that SM 3.0 cards have been out in the market for so damn long that even the cheap ones being sold today at least have SM 3.0 in them.
-Or as one gamespot game reviewer described it, the makers of the game have made the game as a 'wonderful piece of art' and possibly they didn't want anything graphically wrong with the game.
-Or the dev's could have simply wanted less headache in converting the PC version to a x360 version or vice-versa.

Anyway the X800 is still a pretty powerful card, i would've got one before but the SM2.1 is the part that turned me off. Too bad though that even my 7600GT is having a hard time with BioShock.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Small meaningful update: the team working on the PS2.0b fix has now come up with an updated version. Early impressions are that this brings the PS2.0b version to parity with PS3.0. There are yet no reported graphical bugs or problems.

http://www.paolofranchini.com/shshock/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102

Note: this is a fix for PS2.0b, not 2.0, so this only concerns Radeon X700/X800/X850. Radeon 9800 and under are still stuck with Beta 1 of the fix.