No BlizzCon for 2012, Says Blizzard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mschlenker

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
It would seem that Blizzard has bit off more than it can chew this year, with the game slippage and all. Having said that, if D3 and the WOW Exp prove to be great, all will be forgiven. If not... no company is totally bullet proof.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mschlenker[/nom]It would seem that Blizzard has bit off more than it can chew this year, with the game slippage and all. Having said that, if D3 and the WOW Exp prove to be great, all will be forgiven. If not... no company is totally bullet proof.[/citation]

Actually a company can near bullet-proof itself by NEVER DEGRADING the quality and HALF-ASSING anything then Company will survive but if the latter happens then crap goes KABOOM.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I'm in the Diablo 3 beta and I must say I'm extremely unimpressed with the game....so far. I found myself playing it well after I was bored just to give it a chance. My how far the mighty Blizzard has fallen. )=

mschlenker

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]I'm in the Diablo 3 beta and I must say I'm extremely unimpressed with the game....so far. I found myself playing it well after I was bored just to give it a chance. My how far the mighty Blizzard has fallen. )=[/citation]
Well your impression of the Bata goes a long way toward explaining the shake-up in D3 production and the delay in releasing it. All the better for T2 to get its foot in the door, but don’t wait too long!

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
They Will postpone because they simply don't have what to display there... They already talked about mists of pandaria, diablo 3, and SC2 expansion on the last blizzcon.

I like blizzard games but they are pretty slow...

Some titles like diablo 3 are taking too long to be done, and when that happens, it is almost sure, the game will suck... almost like Duke nukem forever...

G

Considering Blizzcon is basically a huge advertising fest (primarily) paid for by attendees between admission and merchandise…cancelling it can’t be viewed as anything but a bad thing. There are really only 2 explanations for it.

Either WoW is losing more subscribers than even expected, which is understandable because these things tend to accelerate and snowball. With MMOs as players leave, it negatively impacts all aspects of the game (socaializing/raiding/pvp/auction house, etc) and it snowballs which leads to more players leaving. The death of an MMO is usually not a slow curve, it ends up being a sharp dropoff.

The other option is that Blizzard really doesn’t feel like they will have enough new content to announce to support Blizzcon this year. If they are counting on Diablo 3 (which doesn’t sound great – a 2D game that looks straight out of 2002), the SC2 expansion (meh), and MoP which left everyone pretty unexcited – that’s a little disappointing. I was really hoping for at least some snippets of the “Titan” project or the expansion to follow MoP at this year’s Blizzcon. Saying developers can’t afford to take a few days (maybe a week including prep time) for Blizzcon is hard to buy.

I absolutely hate to say it, but lately most of the games I’ve been playing are EA: BF3, SWOTR, and Madden for me… and this coming from a guy with over 10 level 80/85 characters who was a hardcore WoW raider since 2005. Blizz needs to hit the reset button back ~5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.