[SOLVED] No boot, can't reflash Win10

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
I hope this is in the right thread. If not I apologize.

Okay, so, I have a 4 year old laptop (new in 2017). Originally it started by not being able to boot to Windows. Missing or corrupted files: one time it would show "winload" the next it would show a kernel file as the cause. Tried recovery media through the list of options it gave me. It just restarts ans goes to the same screen. Boot options just gave me a screen flicker and then nothing happens, stays on that error screen.

So, I decided to try reflashing windows, nothing on there I cared about. (BTW, I am able to press F9 at loadup to get to boot drive options just not from the error menu). It detected my bootable drive fine, but when I loaded into it, it gave me the HP logo and then a static screen (seen in the picture). So, I thought maybe the bootable media drive had been corrupted or not installed correctly. Tried it again after formatting the drive and reinstalling the boot media, nothing. Tried using a bootable CD, and also another USB drive, nothing. So, I figured it may be a bad HDD that caused those files to corrupt in the first place, and I swapped it out with one I had that was in good working condition, and formatted. Now, I can get it to sort of work, but currently, I have been stuck on the HP logo for over 45 mins and the indicator on the flash drive I was using isn't active.

I'm suspecting a bad motherboard as well as the hard drive, as maybe one went bad and caused the other to go bad possibly, but I'm not quite sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Model number 15-bw069nr serial number CND7288W98

EDIT: Well I was going to add an image of the static screen but I can't get it to load.

Solution
As a last resort you could try downloading the last bios available and re-flashing that. If that would at least give you full access to the bios and enable resetting all of the bios options, that would be something. Or if there is another way to fully reset the bios, which might mean you would have to open the laptop case and access the cmos battery, you could try that as a real last resort. If you can't boot the linux stick then there's probably no hope for salvaging the hardware other than sending it to that repair center, if that's cost effective.
So, I thought maybe the bootable media drive had been corrupted or not installed correctly. Tried it again after formatting the drive and reinstalling the boot media, nothing. Tried using a bootable CD, and also another USB drive, nothing. So, I figured it may be a bad HDD that caused those files to corrupt in the first place, and I swapped it out with one I had that was in good working condition, and formatted. Now, I can get it to sort of work, but currently, I have been stuck on the HP logo for over 45 mins and the indicator on the flash drive I was using isn't active.
you could make sure the boot is UEFI only and the sata mode is on AHCI, then try download windows 10 in the form of iso only and use rufus, the settings should be GPT and UEFI (non csm). then start rufus the flahsdrive

download the win10 .iso via google chrome or internet download manager.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
you could make sure the boot is UEFI only and the sata mode is on AHCI, then try download windows 10 in the form of iso only and use rufus, the settings should be GPT and UEFI (non csm). then start rufus the flahsdrive

download the win10 .iso via google chrome or internet download manager.
Can't even get into those settings just brings me to the same error screen. I can't even fully get to the BIOS honestly. Only part of the BIOS that I seem to be able to get working, and only partially, is boot options.

You could try this: if you could download a linux ISO image (I personally use linux mint with mate interface for such emergencies) and create a bootable usb stick with it, you could try booting from that. At least if that boots and seems to function well, it would indicate that the motherboard and other hardware are properly functioning. Then you could try to access whatever hdds you have to see if they're salvageable. Most linux distros include the gparted utility app where you can see if there are any partitioning problems on your hdd. You many have to completely delete all your partitions and make sure the resulting drive contains nothing but the gpt marker.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
You could try this: if you could download a linux ISO image (I personally use linux mint with mate interface for such emergencies) and create a bootable usb stick with it, you could try booting from that. At least if that boots and seems to function well, it would indicate that the motherboard and other hardware are properly functioning. Then you could try to access whatever hdds you have to see if they're salvageable. Most linux distros include the gparted utility app where you can see if there are any partitioning problems on your hdd. You many have to completely delete all your partitions and make sure the resulting drive contains nothing but the gpt marker.
Whelp, didn't help me, still the same issue. This time it was the same screen static though and not the Neverending HP logo. I'm still not sure if that would absolutely mean hardware failure but I'm running out of ideas myself :(

As a last resort you could try downloading the last bios available and re-flashing that. If that would at least give you full access to the bios and enable resetting all of the bios options, that would be something. Or if there is another way to fully reset the bios, which might mean you would have to open the laptop case and access the cmos battery, you could try that as a real last resort. If you can't boot the linux stick then there's probably no hope for salvaging the hardware other than sending it to that repair center, if that's cost effective.

Solution