Question No boot drive detected

javiermaggio

Honorable
Jun 21, 2018
I recently upgraded my PSU to a Seasonic from a Rosewill, and it's been a mounting pile of headaches since. I noticed that when I booted my PC up several times ago, I couldn't launch BF5. I didn't really pay attention to it, and played something else. A few boots later, I went to play Witcher 3, and I saw the desktop icon was just a white paper file. Confused, I then noticed Bf5 and 4 were "white paper" files too. I went to find them and saw my hard drive was no longer being detected.

I thought that maybe I had unplugged it when I rewired the psu, no big deal, I'll check the wires when I'm not feeling lazy. I have 4 more ssd's in my computer. Fast forward a week and a few boots later to today. I was watching YouTube videos and paused one to go to the bathroom. I talked with some friends for a bit, then came back to the computer. It was sitting on the bios screen. I thought maybe it blue screened and restarted itself.

I went to save and exit, restarted, and was looking at my phone. It restarted and threw me a "CPU fan not detected" error. I fiddled with the bios for a while, restarted a few times, updated my bios and finally shut off the fan monitoring in the settings. A post online said AIO coolers, which I have, will sometimes not register on MB fan slot. Thinking I was good, I restarted the computer. After waiting 20 seconds or so, I looked up from my phone to see the Bios screen again. I must have done something wrong I figured, so I restarted again and watched it go straight to bios screen again.

I hit save and exit one more time, and went straight to the bios screen. Looking for boot options, I got confused because nothing was coming up. I looked around and couldn't find my boot drive, but I saw my remaining ssd's. It seems like my ssd's are disappearing one by one. I have two more 1tb m.2s and a WD blue 250 GB and don't want to fry them if this psu is killing them. I looked around the internet and no posts sounded like anything that would help my particular situation. I hope my other 500gb ssd didn't fry as well. Is this something I can fix or should I take it to a PC repair place?

javiermaggio

Honorable
Jun 21, 2018
@USAFRet I tried, but it wouldn't power on at all. Then I swapped all the cables. Seasonic said that the old cables would trip the psu, but never said anything about damaging components. It was also working for a week or so with the new psu before the ssd no longer showed up as boot drive.

@fzabkar What do you mean?
HDDs and SSDs have protection components which are intended to protect the drive from damaging overvoltages. In many cases these components die in the process. The simple DIY fix in such cases is to remove the damaged components and replace any blown fuses.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

If you can upload detailed photos of the component sides of each PCB, I can help you to identify any damaged components.

javiermaggio

Honorable
Jun 21, 2018
HDDs and SSDs have protection components which are intended to protect the drive from damaging overvoltages. In many cases these components die in the process. The simple DIY fix in such cases is to remove the damaged components and replace any blown fuses.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

If you can upload detailed photos of the component sides of each PCB, I can help you to identify any damaged components.
So pop open the ssd case and take a picture?